cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

What is "Chat" and why is it using my data?

SamuelAdams
Novice

I just changed plans and upgraded phones. Suddenly "Chat" used a lot of my data. I don't even know what Chat is nor do I remember using it. Please explain. Thank you.

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (3)
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: What is "Chat" and why is it using my data?

Weth
Líder Sénior

This would be messaging type apps facebook messenger, twitter, snap chat, what's app, Apple iMessages and many more. 

0 Me gusta

mama23dogs
Líder Sénior

Where are you seeing Chat?  On the phone?

0 Me gusta

SamuelAdams
Novice

On the "My Verizon" data usage it says that 62% of my current usage was used by "Chat." I don't have any idea what that is.

0 Me gusta

Weth
Líder Sénior

This would be messaging type apps facebook messenger, twitter, snap chat, what's app, Apple iMessages and many more. 

0 Me gusta

SamuelAdams
Novice

OK, most of that makes sense. Perhaps it was Facebook Messenger. Bui, if I have Unlimited Text Messages why would iMessage not be included in that feature of my plan. My usage also shows that 1% was "Message."

Is there an explination of the types of data reported on Verizin's Data Usage page?

Weth
Líder Sénior

Unlimited text is only the traditional SMS text message.  All the other messeenger apps use data

imessage is unique case.  Traditional SMS text messages are green, and that is the part that goes under text messages as far as Verizon is considered.  These messages in green bubbles are carried by Verizon.  However messages that go to other Apple devices have blue Bubbles.  These are sent as data and are handled by Apple not Verizon.  Hope that helps. 

Weth
Líder Sénior

I have not seen a good Verizon document that gives details on each category, and much of the info is by experience.  Just writing a message or chat with letters only takes very little data.  The messages you send or receive that have lots of graphics, pictures, video, anything just not letters is what us using the data.  Unless it is imessages with green bubbles. 

0 Me gusta

SamuelAdams
Novice

Thank you for all your replies. Somehow I think Facebook Messenger is what used the data in question but there seems to be no definitive answer to my question.

0 Me gusta

mama23dogs
Líder Sénior

Verizon can only generalize usage.   Please look on your phone, insettings, under data usage.  Only your phone has a record of exactly what app used how much data. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Strikeswhilehot, we would never want to lose you.  Making sure your data usage breakdown is correct and knowing what apps use your data is critical.  We can completely understand wanting to utilize all of your needs on your device while minimizing data usage.  Did you want to go over your plan/feature options in more detail? 

Here is more information regarding data utilization:

http://spr.ly/6607EZ9tV

As mama23dogs also mentioned, you can view more specific data usage details from your device itself by going to Settings>Cellular>Scrolling down to view specific applications using your data.

The iMessaging (and other applications mentioned previously) all utilize data or Wi-Fi on all iPhones with all carriers.  This is built into the design of the phone itself through Apple.  However, the regular text messages on your phone will normally use the voice network instead of data.

Does this information help?

SeanC_VZW

0 Me gusta