cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

What can be done - my number is being used in a caller ID spoofing scam

VaultBoy101
Miembro

A couple of times I have received phone calls from people that have a similar number, and each time they complain about receiving some sort of telemarketer/scam call with my cell # showing up on their caller ID. The latest one just happened today. In each case, of course, I did not make these phone calls. So after some research, I found out it's now a common practice for scammers to display people's legitimate phone #s on their victim's Caller IDs, instead of their own offending #.

I realize my choices are limited in this situation, but wanted to know if there's anything that can be done to stop this. Sure I can have my cell number changed, but contacting every family member, friend, colleague, school, doctor's office, etc.. that needs my number is a project & headache in itself. Especially since I don't have a landline and use my cell as my primary number.

So please let me know if there's anything that Verizon can be do to help rectify this, or if my only options are to live with it or change my cell number.

If it turns out there's nothing that Verizon can really do to help - then it's truly absurd to know that in this age of technological advancement, along with the incredible amount of money that phone providers like Verizon make, there's no system, app, or device that can be created to combat this. There could be something, for sure, take it from a software engineer like myself... but the question is would phone providers like Verizon invest money into something like this with the sole intent to help their customers, rather than make a buck off of it? I already know the answer, you don't need to remind me.

Muchas gracias.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: What can be done - my number is being used in a caller ID spoofing scam

Community Manager
Community Manager

Protecting your account is one of our top priorities and I never want to see one of our valued customers consider another carrier because of the pesky calls. Regrettably, Spoofing has become much more common across all carriers, cellular and residential alike. The FCC offers a number of great tips at https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id to help safeguard yourself from scams as well as an option to report the calls in the “How do I report suspected spoofing?” section. We also offer a number of options for blocking incoming spam callers through https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/ as well as https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/caller-name-id/ . If people are using your number as the spoofed ID, I encourage you to report the call to the FCC since there is currently no way to keep those spoofed callers from using your number at this time but we want to work with the FCC for ways to investigate the scammers and keep it from happening in the future.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Etiquetas (1)
0 Me gusta

boringusername

Short of changing your number no. And then that number might be spoofed. Nothing Verizon can really do either.

0 Me gusta

Poncho67
Miembro

Same problem.  Maybe changing our  carrier and numbers.  Then get a number from a different part of the country than your known contacts.  Finally, the carrier could develop call blocking software that lets you block all calls from that area code and prefix.  That way even if they spoof those digits from your phone number you won't get scammer calls. 

0 Me gusta

boringusername

Poncho67 wrote:

Same problem. Maybe changing our carrier and numbers. Then get a number from a different part of the country than your known contacts. Finally, the carrier could develop call blocking software that lets you block all calls from that area code and prefix. That way even if they spoof those digits from your phone number you won't get scammer calls.

This problem exists on all carriers and all areas. And scammers will call you from several area codes. I've gotten these annoying calls from dozens of area codes over the years.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

Protecting your account is one of our top priorities and I never want to see one of our valued customers consider another carrier because of the pesky calls. Regrettably, Spoofing has become much more common across all carriers, cellular and residential alike. The FCC offers a number of great tips at https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id to help safeguard yourself from scams as well as an option to report the calls in the “How do I report suspected spoofing?” section. We also offer a number of options for blocking incoming spam callers through https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/ as well as https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/caller-name-id/ . If people are using your number as the spoofed ID, I encourage you to report the call to the FCC since there is currently no way to keep those spoofed callers from using your number at this time but we want to work with the FCC for ways to investigate the scammers and keep it from happening in the future.

JenniferH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Etiquetas (1)
0 Me gusta

Tonja_Jorenby
Miembro

Well if Verizon figures something out (though that seems unlikely, given ppl could be using other networks), then I'd sure appreciate receiving that info.

0 Me gusta

Jaser76
Miembro

Just found out today my number has been spoofed.  Received a phone call from a guy asking why I was calling his wife's phone. I told him that I've never called his number before so someone is using my cell phone number to make calls.

One of the only options I was told, is file a police report. 

boringusername

Jaser76 wrote:

Just found out today my number has been spoofed. Received a phone call from a guy asking why I was calling his wife's phone. I told him that I've never called his number before so someone is using my cell phone number to make calls.

One of the only options I was told, is file a police report.

Won't do any good. Local police won't trace the call since it unlikely coming from you area. In fact it's just as likely coming from outside the US.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry you received that call Jaser76 . I understand the concern with making sure your number is safe & not being used without your permission. The information provided from our community & rep can be helpful with your issue. We offer the option to block incoming spam callers through https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/ as well as https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/caller-name-id/ . As stated from my team member, if people are using your number as the spoofed ID, we encourage you to report the call to the FCC since there is currently no way to keep those spoofed callers from using your number at this time. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id I hope this information is helpful. 

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Me gusta

I'm having the same issue. Some lady left me a very angry voice mail claiming that I call her multiple times a day and demanding that I stop. I've never called her number in my life.

What can we do to stop this? What is Verizon doing to stop this?  Passing it off to the FCC isn't good enough. As my cell provider (and one of the largest companies in the world) I would expect that some action is being taken. I am a loyal Verizon customer, have been for 20 years and I hope you're working on it. Every problem has a solution.