cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

Verizon tablet scam

byrwill
Miembro

On June 29, 2015 we went into Awireless Verizon store in Denville, NJ in order to get an upgrade on my wife's phone (her first smartphone!).  We have the 10gb plan so they are taking off $25 per month.  Then the rep comes out with an Ellipsis 8 tablet and says that they are running a special promotion with this tablet, it will cost $120 and after a $70 mail-in rebate it will cost only $50.  I asked "Are there any additional charges?" and he said "no" just I have pay for the tablet and that's it, it will just use up data from the data plan. I had no intention of using the cellular data so (stupidly) I thought, hey that sounds like a good deal to have a tablet that I can use around the house (where I have Wi-Fi) for just $50.  At that point we even bought a screen protector and case ($70) which the rep installed, and he also took care of the rebate form too.   After a week I took a look at my bill and saw that there is a $10 per month line charge for the tablet and a two-year contract which he never mentioned!   My wife was there too and she said he never mentioned it either.  So now I am stuck with an Ellipsis 8 tablet for two years, that is $240 (monthly charges) + $50 (initial cost) = $290, could have bought an Ipad Mini.  I wouldn't complain if it was a good tablet, but it is in fact (as many of you know) a pretty crappy tablet with poor battery life, slow,  bad screen resolution, and heats up like crazy. We don't even use it anymore actually, I got so disgusted I just put it back in the box.  On July 6 I called the store and tried to reach the rep who sold me the tablet but he wasn't there, so I left a message and he never called me back. I called a few days later and he was too busy and would call me back (didn't call me back). Finally I got in touch with him about a week after that and he said he took $10 off my $90 data plan to compensate me for the tablet. That was pure BS because I was already paying $80 a month for the 10 gb plan since May.    I called *611 and discussed it with Verizon and they said they have been having lots of problems with Verizon store reps not disclosing the hidden fees with the tablet promotions.  They were able to take off 10% of one of the lines for a year ($4/month), but still I am not happy with this. I called the manager of the store and he said "The $10 discount to mitigate the cost of the tablet was part of the $25 discount that you got with the Edge plan"... what?? Then I got him to admit that I would have gotten the $25 discount whether or not I had gotten the tablet. Then I said I wanted to return the tablet and he said there would be restocking charge of $70.  I am feeling incredibly ripped off right now, is there anything left that I can do?

Labels (1)

Re: Verizon tablet scam

byrwill
Miembro

I just wanted to add more information to my problem. I was talking this over to my wife and she actually remembers more of the conversation we had with the  Verizon salesman who was pushing the tablet. The salesman said "because you have been a loyal customer since 1998, we have a special deal for you - a tablet for $50 with no additional charges."  Also when she signed the screen he didn't show the contract - just told her to sign on the line for the upgrade for her phone. All she saw was a screen with a line to sign.   The contract and the terms for the tablet must have been buried in there somewhere.  We both can verify that the salesman never mentioned a contract for the tablet or the $10/month charge.  This Ellipsis 8 tablet is pretty inferior on top of it.    We are extremely dissatisfied and angry that we were scammed this way.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

Byrwill, I'm saddened to hear you are going through this experience with this new tablet. We don't want our loyal customers to feel this way and I want to help you get to the bottom of this once and for all. We value your loyalty here with us and we don't want to give you any misinformation. What date did you purchase the tablet? Are you having issues with the tablet?

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

Snn5
Líder Sénior

It's unfortunate that you were unable to read the contract before signing.  Those authorized retailers run their own game sometimes and are not Verizon corporate stores.

byrwill
Miembro

Thank you for replying.  We bought the tablet on Jun. 29. The receipt says the list price is $300 and with a discount of $195 comes out to $105 and a set-up cost of $15.  As for the tablet it is frustrating to use and the battery life is poor even at minimum brightness.  I turned off cellular data when I got it but I have it on Wi-fi only.  The battery goes down like crazy just surfing the web for 10 minutes makes it go down 10%.   Plus the back starts to get hot when using it (and it is not charging at the time either.) The touch screen doesn't respond sometimes or is slow to respond to touch.   Webpages load slowly and lag, often when scrolling down the page jumps to the top in an irritating way.  Also the screen resolution is not great for reading,  especially Kindle books. I guess I was spoiled by my iPad 4 which is very fast, no problems and has a retina screen.

I'm not sure why I was so fooled here, but I think it was because I thought they were giving me a special deal because we were loyal customers for so long and the price was so low.  I thought that they were going to make money if I used the tablet and went over my data allowance. The salesman never told us about a contract or a monthly line charge.

At this point I would settle for (in decreasing order of preference)

1. An additional $6 off per month from my bill

2. To return the tablet for a full refund including the cost of screen protector and case, with no restocking fee

3. To sell the tablet to someone else who would pick up the data plan and line from me

0 Me gusta

byrwill
Miembro

Yes I have learned my lesson here. I didn't know there were differences between the Verizon stores. I have gone to the Verizon corporate store locally for decades and never once experienced a problem. So I guess I had my guard down and was too trusting when I went to this other store out of town.  The problem too is that this place is far away from where I live, we just went there because my wife's flip phone broke.  I tried talking to the people at the local corporate store but they said they can't do anything, I have to deal with the store where I got the tablet.

sw15
Miembro

Oh god. I just got the same offer. The salesman said I should see a $10 charge and then a $10. credit. I also got the same "because you've been a customer since 1999..." speech. Did I just get scammed?

0 Me gusta

Snn5
Líder Sénior

You didn't get scammed unless you let yourself be scammed.  There is a $10 per month charge for the service on the tablet.  The tablet itself is free, but cancelling the tablet line surely isn't after 14 days.

0 Me gusta

sw15
Miembro

Your response isn't helpful at all Snn5. Thankfully I'm on top of my account and kept an eye on it and figured out how they planned on giving me this credit. It was dishonest and not what I agreed to. But Verizon customer service was very helpful.

Kyleadam
Miembro

So let me get this straight, kind of going off this conversation. Verizon has corporate stores that are I guess Verizon legitimate. Then you have the other stores that are?......a 3rd party rip-off for profits of Verizon.... If I'm wrong someone correct me but from this conversation that's what it sounds like when corporate says we can't do anything about that.

0 Me gusta