cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Upgrade basic phone to smartphone on unlimited data plan

Miembro

So my families current plan consists of 2 smartphones on unlimited data and a basic phone(LG Dare) with no data plan.  The person with the basic phone wants to finally upgrade to a smartphone.  Is there anyway they can do this and still keep our unlimited data on the 2 other lines?  She doesn't need unlimited data and would be fine with a low gb/month plan on the upgraded line.  Our main concern is just not loosing the unlimited data on the 2 lines.  Anyway this is possible?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: Upgrade basic phone to smartphone on unlimited data plan

Líder Sénior

I'm not sure if they are still doing it this way, but as far as I know the following still holds true.

With the 2 lines with unlimited data, the OP is on an old Nationwide Family plan with 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone. They should be able to change the  basic phone to a smartphone STILL on the Nationwide plan and opt for a 2 GB data package for that line.

As far as I know, this has not changed as the procedure when changing from basic to smartphone and 2 smartphones on the account with unlimited data.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Upgrading the basic to a smart at the 2 year price will require a new plan for that line and even buying full retail will make that line change to a smart plan.  However, the other 2 lines will remain unchanged.  So, you'd have 2 old Nationwide unlimited lines and 1 tiered More Everything line.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Miembro

Okay great thanks.  Could I just switch her plan to a smartphone plan and buy her a smartphone online without signing a contract?  And what would be the cheapest plan to use in order to use a smartphone?  Appreciate the help.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Take a look at the More Everything plans.  If you buy a phone elsewhere, you can get the $15 discount I believe with a More Everything plan since you won't be on contract.  More Everything Plan - Verizon Wireless

Depends on how much data that line wants.  You might be better off on a prepaid plan with autopay for $45 a month with 2GB (1GB with no AP) vs a More Everything at $45 for 500MB.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

I'm not sure if they are still doing it this way, but as far as I know the following still holds true.

With the 2 lines with unlimited data, the OP is on an old Nationwide Family plan with 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone. They should be able to change the  basic phone to a smartphone STILL on the Nationwide plan and opt for a 2 GB data package for that line.

As far as I know, this has not changed as the procedure when changing from basic to smartphone and 2 smartphones on the account with unlimited data.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

I suggest calling Verizon and seeing about bringing a used (or new) smartphone to that line and asking about increasing the data for that one line.  If it is possible, compare that cost to the other plans for the same amount.  Dont forget that current plans have a line access fee as well on top of the data allotment.  The line access charge is discounted on BYOD lines like More Everything and on Device Payment Plan lines.  Simplest step is to start with trying to up the data and bring a smartphone to that line so that no other changes occur and it stays less confusing.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Miembro

Well the currently basic phone has no data plan.  So it needs a data plan to start with.  Just looking to be the lowest amount really, for the lowest cost.  Hopefully they could get that phone on the Nationwide plan so it's not two separate plans on one bill, and we can all remain on the same classic plan.  Just the new basic phone to smartphone phone would be limited on data, unlike the other two.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Best advice I can give is to take a look at the line in My Verizon and give Verizon a call to ask about the change.  But DON"T make any plan changes that aren't named Nationwide...add data if possible, otherwise you might get changed to a More Everything plan, and while that might not be bad, it might cost more, and once changed, you cannot go back, since Nationwide is no longer offered.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Snn5 wrote:

Upgrading the basic to a smart at the 2 year price will require a new plan for that line and even buying full retail will make that line change to a smart plan.  However, the other 2 lines will remain unchanged.  So, you'd have 2 old Nationwide unlimited lines and 1 tiered More Everything line.

You can't have two different plans on the same account. All the lines are either under a Nationwide Plan or under a Share Everything Plan. The only way to do what you suggest is to have the lines setup as sub-accounts. One sub-account is the two lines with the Nationwide Plan (family plan, and two unlimited data plans)  and the second sub-account has the Share Everything data account fee and the line access fee. This sub-account situation would be more expensive than the suggestion given by rcschnoor. Adding the 2 GB  tiered data plan to the Nationwide family plan to the one line is correct and the simplest way for the OP to keep the unlimited data plans on their other two lines. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Ann154 wrote:

Snn5 wrote:

You say:

You can't have two different plans on the same account.

But then you say:

All the lines are either under a Nationwide Plan or under a Share Everything Plan. The only way to do what you suggest is to have the lines setup as sub-accounts. One sub-account is the two lines with the Nationwide Plan (family plan, and two unlimited data plans)  and the second sub-account has the Share Everything data account fee and the line access fee.

Meaning:  It IS possible by your explanation.

This sub-account situation would be more expensive than the suggestion given by rcschnoor. Adding the 2 GB  tiered data plan to the Nationwide family plan to the one line is correct and the simplest way for the OP to keep the unlimited data plans on their other two lines.

For which I said earlier: 

Snn5 wrote: 

I suggest calling Verizon and seeing about bringing a used (or new) smartphone to that line and asking about increasing the data for that one line.

Also reference Posts 3, 5, and 7.  I gave the options I knew of instead of just giving one way.  (It has been suggested that I give more than my personally preferred option so that the OP has more avenues to investigate.)

0 Likes