cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

Unlimited data home use?

Miembro

Anyone know if I can use the new unlimited plan to replace my current home internet provider?  We are currently on a 6GB family plan and also pay for home internet through another provider.

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (1)
  • vzu
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: Unlimited data home use?

Community Manager
Community Manager

ANGELMOM247, We're happy to see that you want to learn more about our unlimited data plan. We do not recommend using a wireless data plan to replace high speed internet but it is an option. You can look into adding a Jetpack line to your existing account if you don't already have one. Open the link to read more about our unlimited plan: http://vz.to/2lgTcRg. As the peer members have mentioned, data speeds are limited to 10GB of 4G speeds for using a JetPack  or mobile hotspot device. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. If you need to add a line, call our sales experts at 1-888-924-7937

SheritaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Verizon is stating that any type of remote tethering, such as from a jetpack, hotspot on phone or tablet, or installed LTE Internet is limited to 10 GB at LTE speed and then unlimited amount of 3G speed data on the new unlimited plan. That is unlikely to be satisfactory for home Internet replacement.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

How much data do you use with your current home internet provider?  As Weth stated, you'll be limited to 10GB when tethering (hot spotting), and a hotspot is not intended to be used as a home internet replacement.

You are likely getting better, more consistent speed and a lot more data with your current home internet.  Is it cable?  Satellite? 

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

ANGELMOM247, We're happy to see that you want to learn more about our unlimited data plan. We do not recommend using a wireless data plan to replace high speed internet but it is an option. You can look into adding a Jetpack line to your existing account if you don't already have one. Open the link to read more about our unlimited plan: http://vz.to/2lgTcRg. As the peer members have mentioned, data speeds are limited to 10GB of 4G speeds for using a JetPack  or mobile hotspot device. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. If you need to add a line, call our sales experts at 1-888-924-7937

SheritaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Miembro

This is a great question.  For some of us rural residents, there is no option for wired home internet, and satellite also comes with data limits, after which they will slow your speeds.  For us and most of our neighbors, Verizon wireless has been our best option.  Our home internet solution has been a monthly data allowance (recently bumped up to 16 GB per month) through Verizon wireless, using a MiFi mobile hotspot.  This does not allow for much streaming, but has been a workable solution for the necessities and for working from home when needed.  For various reasons (including that data rates were less expensive for "data-only" plans), our phones were on a different plan than our MiFi.

I switched our MiFi over to the unlimited plan this month before I was aware of the various data limits. When I learned of the 22GB limit before throttling (or "data prioritization" as Verizon calls it) it was still a no-brainer;  both less expensive and more data before being throttled.  I was about to consolidate our two plans (phones, MiFi) into one plan...

However, I've just experienced my first taste of "data prioritization", and it was bitter.  This past Sunday evening, around 8pm, I could not even load certain websites that I needed for work.  I could not even load the ookla speed-test web page to see how bad it was.  Eventually I loaded the speed test, and measured the connection at around 0.1 to 0.2 mbps download.  That seems slower than 3G should be.  Since then, I've run speed test at various times and clocked anywhere from about 1mpbs to 14mbps (which is about what I get at full-throttle LTE).

The thing is, when I first noticed the slowness, I checked our monthly data usage, and it was just over 22GB, which seemed very significant. Now this is anecdotal evidence, and I switched from 16GB to unlimited plan in the current month, and this is still a plan with only a single data-only device on it (the MiFi) - any of which could affect things.  But it does seem clear, that unlike Verizon's statement, my MiFi has not simply been slowed to 3G speeds.  It is clearly having it's data rate affected by network traffic.

Next month I may truly learn if my MiFi starts getting throttled at 10GB, or if it goes to 22GB before that happens.  If it goes to 22GB on its own plan before being throttled, would it still behave the same way if combined into a single plan with two phones?  For now, I'm hesitant to combine the plans.

-JJ

Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Each line on the unlimited plan has its own limits before restrictions start, so adding it to your current plan would not change the data allowed before a restriction.

Sounds like your speeds are severely reduced due to significant overload on your tower and de-prioritization putting you behind everyone else.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

I actually tried to use Verizon wireless for home internet since the unlimited came out. I actually picked up the MiFi home router also that has ethernet ports on the back and wifi. I don't have cable or satellite so I use Apple TV with Netflix and what not. I found that I will use my 22GB in a few days just from a few movies and/or TV shows. Once you hit that cap and even before you hit the cap the internet is awful. Tonight I was 2 days after my billing cycle and was under cap. The internet was unusable on all 3 devices, it was so freakin slow. I was getting between 500kbps and 4mbps every other time I ran the speed test on all three devices. It was a lot faster the first couple weeks. Don't even think about calling Verizon for support if you are over 22GB. They won't even work with you, all you get is " You are over 22GB so that is why you are having issues." I was over 22GB on my MiFi and not on my iPhone and was calling about the iPhone, they still blamed it on the 22GB saying it's shared. I has telling them they are wrong but customer service is not trained on how this all works. It really is awful. I think if they get rid of caps when 5G comes out then I would consider it. For me right now I am ditching the unlimited plan and MiFi router and going back to cable.

Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Verizon unlimited plan was not meant to be home internet replacement. 

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

Ever since the Unlimited plan has been out the bandwidth has been awful. I don't know if it is infrastructure or throttling. Even bellow the 22GB soft cap the performance has been aids lately. If it is throttling then 5g has a chance at tackling landline ISPs. If it is the backbone Verizon has their work cut out for them. I think what makes it worse is they are not limiting bandwidth when you are over 22GB, they are using QOS to prioritize packets which doesn't punish downloaders, it punishes everything to web browsing. I think the QOS could use some tweaks.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

Is this still the case in January 2020? I really hate my overpriced internet but don't have many options in my area. 

Covid19