Highlighted

Re: Unlimited Data Plans - $20 added to grandfathered plans

Miembro

Sorry about that.  Yes it's a purchase.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

I've been a loyal Verizon customer for 15+ years and to hear that they are now going to charge an additional $20 to the unlimited plan is truly a discouraging act on Verizon's part.  First, they no longer give it's customers the phone discount if they continue to have the unlimited plan in order to move them into the regular plan.  My thing is, I've paid my dues to have my unlimited data plan for 15 years.  It's extremely poor customer service to purposefully try to get rid of long time customers.  I wonder how many customers will stay with Verizon and how many will jump ship to another carriers?  I'm personally standing on the edge, but may stay just to utilize my data plan to the maximum.

Highlighted

Leader

thill13947 wrote:

, but may stay just to utilize my data plan to the maximum.

And if everyone that claims they are going to do this, does this, rest assured there will be another increase soon to follow.

Highlighted

Miembro

The largest network and you are telling me that it costs you more to deliver a GB than it used to?  Just look at the profits of other companies and their expenses. Who are you working for that has the costs for providing services going up in this market? And what does this have to do with a home network? This is business and VZW has decided to jack the price because it is profitable but was also smug about it which is bad business. Do you really want to defend Verizon's profit and loss statements? They are big brother now.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Mobile networks are completely different than landline networks.  There's a difference and no carrier owns all the backbone infrastructure everywhere.  It is one thing to keep up 1 network than it is to keep up multiple networks.

Google fiber is cheap simply because they are laying groundwork for 1 network without maintaining other networks to deliver service.  Other ISP's have to keep up and maintain one network while deploying another for example. Also looking at ISP in general for $50 for all landline providers they all give around 30mbps services and have data throttles(which Verizon can't do) at 250GB.  A lot of these areas carriers lease pipes for their infrastructure. 

You can argue profits and losses that not the problem here.  Sure they are making profits as any business can do, but to assume they are making profits they can offer unlimited data all the time is fallacy.  It isn't so black and white and if you ran your own network is probably the only way people would see it.  Of course that'll be tough for majority of people out there.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

You miss the point which makes this pointless. It basically flies in the face of progress. It is a step backwards in connecting the World. Back to pay to play. Why debate everything so much? Just wait until it is like air and free? What then?

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

You miss the point yourself.  It isn't black and white like you assume it is.  It should be pay to play FOR SERVICES rendered to you.  Everything has a cost.  Why not make your own direct line so you can get the speeds you want and let us know how much it costs, and don't forget you have to upkeep that as well.  I will surely be glad to find out how much that costs.  Since it isn't for profit at that point then money shouldn't be an object right?  I got your point, and that's why I said it isn't black and white.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

I pay for faster Internet at my house for less. You can't compare the slow speeds of 4g LTE to a tethered line. On top of that we are already paying  premium prices just to use the phone. Why does verizon charge a significant amount more than any other carrier for their unlimited data? The answer is simple, they want their grandfathered customers to switch to a different  plan.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Then you are lucky I pay $80 for 50/5 and I would pay $50 for 80/20 any day.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

I find it amusing that folks who obviously do not have the unlimited plan are on here trying to say "too bad, so sad". You don't have a nickel in this dime - so what is your motive? I filed a complaint with the FCC about the extra charge because it's my right. I know that Verizon can jack up the prices at any time - I was a senior sales rep for this company for 7 years out of a corporate store. (left in 2013)  I know all the tricks of this trade. I have purchased my last 2 smartphones, one quite recently, at full retail price - so that is where Verizon is recouping its costs for providing me with unlimited data (of which I really use 4-5 GB a month) - they don't have to subsidize my phone. A Verizon corporate rep called me re: my complaint and said, in a nutshell, "Sorry you are unhappy. Let's move you to a 2GB plan to avoid any increase!" I said, are you even looking at my account, at my data usage? I use from 4-5 GB per month! WTH. I explained about the cost of full retail to him (I know he didn't care - I didn't care when customers complained to me when I worked for them) and he questioned why I even filed the FCC complaint if I knew that they weren't going to fix my issue. I told him that I absolutely have the right to air my complaint - that it was a grimy thing to do, especially when those of us hanging on to unlimited and not abusing it were paying full price for the phones. It all comes down to dollars. I get that. It just irks me that I spent so much money on the phone to keep what they are now taking away.

Covid19