Highlighted

Unauthorized charge by AsurionWireless Insurance

JCHA70
Miembro

Just wondering if this is a common problem. Very recently found a charge for $199 on my Visa bill from Asurion Wireless Insurance. My wife and I had NOT made any claims with respect to our Verizon phones, yet this is the amount that it seems they charge when a claim is made.

Wife talked to a Verizon rep, they indicated no evidence of a claim or anything on their side, suggested we contact our bank. Did that, bank indicated since the merchant is unrecognized, technically should be considered fraud and had to go through the pain of cancelling the card, reissuing.

So my question is, does Verizon provide card details to Asurion, thereby making this a case of them either accidentally charging us, or something more sinister on Asurion's part. Or a case of an identity thief trying to submit a claim, hoping to score a new phone somehow that they can hawk? Either way, this seems far too easy for Asurion to be doing this. If anyone from Verizon is listening: this is bad business with a potentially bad partner, my friends.

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (3)

Re: Unauthorized charge by AsurionWireless Insurance

deloused

None of the wireless carriers that offer Asurion's services (Verizon/Sprint/AT&T) can transmit card/payment data to them or any other company, and the claim process is handled fully by the insurance company.

You definitely called it as credit card fraud/identity theft. Because the claims are not done in person (mostly online/some by phone) Asurion wouldn't have known that it wasn't the cardholder that authorized the charge if the faudster had alll the card information. It's good that you're getting a new card/number though as someone could attempt further purchases elsewhere also causing more hassle.

With the the bank reversing the charge, the good news is Asurion may be able to track down the person who committed the fraudulent act based on the address where they shipped the replacement device to.

JCHA70
Miembro

Suggestion for a business process: claims submitted to Asurion should require a phone number and billing information, NO ALLOWANCE to ship replacements to anywhere other than billing address. Perhaps even require the device serial number. This information could then be passed to Verizon (or other partner) which verifies it matches their records and only if it does is a confirmation provided to Asurion which can then bill the customer and process the claim. Bet they would have far fewer cases of possible fraud and a much better customer experience (as in, customers who are forced to equate the term "fraud" and "theft" to them and their carrier partners, even indirectly).

deloused

For the claim processing Asurion does require the phone number for the account enrolled in coverage (the fraudster didn't use yours as you don't have insurance) as well as the device serial number as they do verify that the feature/device is active on that account.

That wouldn't stop someone who stole your valid card details from trying to use it for payment, as merchants are required to accept the payment when the purchaser provides the card number, name, expiration, security & zip codes for online/telephone orders as the card isn't physically present per the federal PCI data compliance rules.

Asurion (or any online retailer) can't refuse a valid card when its security information is verified as that would violate the merchant agreement with them and the credit company (MC/Visa etc), as well as cause more dissatisfaction for the majority of customers who are legitimate as we have the right to use our valid cards as we wish.

For example, not allowing customers to ship there purchases where they wish would be a HUGE inconvenience, as many people break/lose /need a new device while traveling in a different state or country. Or if the user of the phone doesn't live at the billing address and isn't nearby, Or they may want it shipped to work, Or because I work, I have my shipments sent to a family member who would be home during the day to prevent delays or package theft at my door.

Valid purchases are often made legitimately where the cardholder name/address doesnt match the recipient, I've ordered items from Verizon, Apple, Amazon, flower shops for myself or for gifts and shipped them to my mom's, the recipient or to work. My mom paid my auto insurance deductible when I was short before payday with her card even though she's not on the policy and lives elsewhere. I paid a friend's cable bill so it wouldn't get shut off when they were in between jobs even though I don't live there or have my name on that account. And people often make purchases with credit card gift cards with no name associated with them

Credit card fraud is certainly an inconvenience, but fortunately is still statistically rare as it affects less than 0.01% of all processed transactions, so imposing more limitations on the legitimate majority would cause a larger amount of inconvenience affecting more consumers.

I've had my card in the past used fraudulently at American Airlines, Holiday Inn, and Target all in different states, so it's great that banks refund fraudulent charges. I also switched to a different bank that can remake new cards on site immediately for my convenience, and also signed up for alerts via email & text when a purchase is made to identify fraudulent charges immediately to report them.

They may still have luck in investigating and finding the theif based on where it was shipped and the IP address where the order was placed. If they were really dumb and actually activate the replacement device serial number on an actual wireless account in there name that would be even better, but if they went as far as to steal a person's personal data they likely were just trying to make more money by just selling the phone to someone else for profit.

sprmankalel
Leader

Asurion has all of the details of the device IMEI. Do you know the IMEI on your device or where to find it?

Asurion has replacements to you overnight in most cases. Asking for all of this verification will delay the process. Also, imagine that you are on vacation and you need a replacement. Wouldn't you like to have it sent to where you are?

0 Me gusta

JCHA70
Miembro

It's up to Asurion in how they handle their business, but if they're not going to tighten it up they better get their write-off pencil sharpened since I think this looks like a lucrative business for scammers. I've had my credit card compromised before but this is the first time I've seen this particular approach to how the scammer's operate: get a free phone you can resell for a lot of profit. Sure there's a chance Asurion can track them down and have law enforcement deal with them - but even though someone said 0.01% fraud rate - that still could be translating into *thousands* of compromised transactions, per day, and I have my doubts these scammers are dumb enough to use their own addresses (in fact, there's been a recent rash of mail thefts in my neighborhood, so...). Anyway: not my problem now, I did not file a claim and Asurion won't be getting a cent from me.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Having an unauthorized charge on your bank statement is of huge concern, JCHA70. As we never transmit any card details to our insurance partner, deloused and sprmankalel provided some good advice to take action on this as fraud or a processing error. If you've ever had a replacement sent to you, and Asurion has your card on file, it's possible there could be a mix up in the account that's charged. A good option would be to contact Asurion at 888-881-2622 to report the charge to them, since they would be able to look up your records to see that you didn't order a device from them. Contacting your bank is also a good move, as they can ensure no further charges go through while this is being investigated, in case your card was compromised elsewhere.

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

GARLARA
Miembro

I also just received an unauthorized charge from Asurion for $149 dated 8/25/17.  I have never done business them nor purchased insurance through Verizon.  My credit card is now blocked and cancelled.  I have contacted the Better Business Bureau as well as Asurion.  There are multiple type of similar complaints on the internet about Asurion.  Many of those complaints mention that Asurion has not been helpful in resolving the issue.  I do not know at this point how this fraud occurred but hopefully it will be resolved.  It is of concern that Verizon would do business with a company that repeatedly has these issues throughout a number of different years.   It would be my request Verizon carefully investigate whether this company has internal control issues and whether they should be doing business with this company.

sku999
Miembro

Asurion insurance charge showed up on 3 of my lines at $11.00 each.  Looks like a recurring monthly charge being tacked on without my consent.  I've removed the other 2 a few months ago and they popped up again.  A recent purchase of a new phone also had $11 for asurion insurance, which I've never signed up for.  Verizon is running up these charges without the consent of customers.  Check your bills each month!

sprmankalel
Leader

That isn't Verizon itself. You should go back to the store where you purchased the phone with your receipt and talk to the manager. The rep put that on there. If it was without your consent then it needs to be addressed with the manager and the rep who sold your phone.

I think Verizon should make customers sign a waiver if they do not want insurance that explains what not having it means but most importantly captures a signature saying it was waived.