cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quisiste decir:

Sudden, Large Data Usages which we cannot explain....Help!!

Miembro

Hello to all, we have an Iphone 6 by Apple that recently used large amounts of data that we can't explain.  Is there a way to access what the phone was doing with respect to data usage during these high usages?  They are way out of the normal usages for data.  No one was downloading videos or other high data usage things, which makes trying to figure out what was going on even harder.  If we could see what and where the phone was using data/downloading/whatever, would be a great help in solving this mystery.  There has to be a way to access this, similar to a ISP can.  Give the ISP the date and time, and they could tell you what website you were on, for how long, if there was anything downloaded, and the data used during that time period. 

Basically we are looking for a Snapshot of the data usage during these unexplained high usage events.  As an example:  at 9:24 am on 5/27 the phone used 1.369 GB, and at 1:43 am on 5/27 it used .536 GB of data.  It got worse on the next day, May 28th.  At 2:44 pm on the 28th the phone used 2.137 GB of data, then at 6:29 pm it used 1.441 GB of Data, at 7:44 5/28, it used .889 G, and at 8:2pm 5/28 it used .602 GB of data. In just one day, 5/28, the phone used 5.304, and the previous day, the 27th,  the phone used 2.335 GB of data.  So, in just two days, with just one phone out of 5 devices on the plan we had  7.2 GB of unexplainable data used. In just TWO days, the Iphone 6 used 60% of our monthly data!  And we have no idea why.  This was 7.2 GB of unexplainable data usage.   I don't even know how you could use that much data in two days.

We were not using the phone for anything that would use such large amounts of data, so these abnormal usage rates are unexplainable.  If we could see a detailed breakdown of the who, what, where, when, why, and how the phone used this much data it would be great.  My main concern is, if we can't explain how it used so much data over these two days it could happen again.  That is why I am asking for help with this dilema, if it did it once, it could do it again when the new data usage month rolls over in 6 days.   I would greatly appreciate any comments, thoughts, ideas, theories that anyone has regarding this Data Mystery.  F.Y.I. Looking at past usages for this phone from the start of 2018, these usages are WAY out of the "normal" for this phone.  It never came close to using 2.0 GB in two days, let alone 7.2 GB.  We need assistance in solving this issue, so it does not occur again in the future.  Last week, we tried the "Ask Verizon, get an instant answer" input spot, but never received any replies, so its time to ask you'all, the true Experts if you have any ideas, thoughts, etc.   Thank you in advance for your time and effort for reading my question, and if you have any thoughts, please pass them along.  Thanks so much!

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Sudden, Large Data Usages which we cannot explain....Help!!

Miembro

Same happened with my Smarthub. Bought it and two iPhone 8s. Set up new phones and connected to smarthub for setup. Used 9 gigs in 6 hours.

0 Likes

Expert

Did you connect the iPhones to the smart hub over wifi for the phone setup?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Miembro

No, this phone has been in us for over 2 years. It is been to Spain, The Dominican Republic and never had any issue until now.  We did not change anything , so is it the phone, or is it a Verizon issue.  They have access to the data/records of what the phone was doing at the time of these high usages, who was it calling, downloading, etc.  Verizon has all the information to solve this mystery.  I would like to email this situation to the support people at Verizon, but I need email addresses for technical support, customer support, data utilization support.  If anyone knows what the email addresses are for sending my narrative to, please pass them along. Verizon should be helping solve this situation as they have the access to all the information that is important to solving the usage mystery, without the records of what the phone was doing to use so much data at that time, it's purely conjecture . So I would like to put this in Verizon's court. Anybody that knows how the best way to do this, please let us know. ¡Gracias!

0 Likes

Miembro

It has been a sudden change in the data usage at those times listed. As I noted above, until now, it has not had any issues. No, to the best of my knowledge it was not connected/setup using a hub.  It's curious why all of the sudden this data rampage occurs, it's been fine for 2 years.  So that raises the question, did the phone do something whacky, or did Verizon have a hand in the mystery?  That's why having access to the data is so important, I believe that is the key to solving the mystery, what,who was the records show that the phone was doing at that high usage period. I am sure Verizon has all sorts of data about each time a phone makes a call, uses data, etc.  Thanks again for reading my saga, and please pass any thoughts,ideas along to us. Muchas gracias

0 Likes

Miembro

Yes, I connected i-phones to smart hub through WiFi for setup.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

Asistencia al cliente

MARWES62, a sudden jump in that usage would have my attention as well. You mentioned that this is an iPhone, have you had the opportunity to go to the Settings, Cellular and scroll down to turn off things that may be using your cellular data? You may take a closer look at these jumps by viewing the data utilization at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/tools-for-monitoring-usage/#datau. If you recall adding any new apps or games, we would also suggest removing that new item to see if the data usage then returns to normal.  

LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Expert

So you used all the data allowance on the Smart hub's cellular data connection? That would use a lot of data restoring the phones from the previous iCloud backup.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Miembro

Gracias.

I hope that's the problem. I should have backed up to lap top and restored that way. Not a tech savvy guy as you can see.

Looking for a solution for rural internet and the satellite options are too slow. Hoping this is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

Expert

I would suggest that you don't have your cellular phones connected to the wifi network created by the smart hub which is routing the wifi traffic through the cellular network.

0 Likes