cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Phantom Data Usage

Chrisenda1979
Miembro

Someone want to clue me in on how I supposedly used 18 gigs of data on a device that was not even turned on during the time Verizon says this data was used?  I finished my online homework for school at about 11 PM on Sunday night, the device was not turned on again until about 12:15 AM today, Wednesday morning, yet some how between 11 PM on Sunday and now Verizon is showing 18 gigs of data used (I was at about 10.5 gigs when I turned it on Sunday and now am at 29...that is a ridiculous overage for a device that has been OFF the whole time this data is supposedly being used.  Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the customer service and billing accuracy of Verizon has really gone downhill....I am ready to pay the cancellation fees and switch...it's got to be cheaper that paying overages on 18 gigs of data it is not even possible I used.

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta

Re: Phantom Data Usage

MikeyWade
Novice

I'm not understanding...Are you saying you had it powered off for an hour and 15 minutes, or 13 hours and 15 minutes?  Also, have you gone online to check the data sessions yourself to find out what time most of it was used.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

Chrisenda1979,

Wow. I understand being concerned with seeing an alarming amount of data being used on your acocunt.  What do you typically use your device for? What model phone/device are you using?  Have you reviwed your data sessions online?  The usage can be slightly delayed at times and may have been data incurring before Sunday night.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Me gusta

Mommamary
Miembro

Good luck getting Verizon to admit that they are wrong.  We got billed for 5 gbs of data in one week and all we did was check our email and facebook.  Several of the times they said we used it, we weren't even home.  We have no children and no grandkids, the fusion box is unplugged when not in use, the cords to the computer are unplugged and we have our internet password protected.  I have contacted the BBB, The FCC and now I am going to contact our State Attorney General and probably one of our local Twin City news stations that does investigative reporting.  I am going to talk with my attorney to see about a class action lawsuit, because I am so sick of this.  This is the 3rd time this has happened.

They CLAIMED that we were gaming at 5:00 in the morning, but my husband and I wouldn't know how, or want to, play a game on the computer if our life depended on it.  I think Verizon is scamming their customers because if you look up Fusion online, people are constantly complaining about "Phantom Charges", independent webs sites tell you to stay away from it, but yet Verizon continues to insist that there isn't a problem.  I do not plan on dropping this complaint--I am livid!  The Verizon rep that contacted me was very condescending and treating me like I was an ignorant fool.  He went on and on and on about how HIS kids use the internet when he doesn't know it, and every time I tried telling him that there is NO ONE else in our home, and that all of this was IMPOSSIBLE,  he just said that we should change our administrative password--what for??  Are ghosts now able to log on to computers??  He just wouldn't listen.  We don't play online games, we don't stream videos-EVER, but yet they are saying that is what the data is being used for.

VERIZON--YOU'D BETTER GET YOUR [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] TOGETHER BECAUSE YOU ARE CHEATING AND LOSING MANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS.  We are going to switch to AT & T with our business phones and internet because they are willing to buy us out of this [removed] contract.  I guess maybe that's the only way Verizon will get the message!!

Gracias,

Verizon Moderator

IT_Engineer
Miembro

Chris, hopefully by now you've found other options.  I too have been perplexed by the strange data usage patterns on my Verizon LTE Broadband. The tools provided to 'monitor' your data usage are a joke at best.  I have seen mystery Gigs show up days after the fact.  For months, I have had to stay on the 30Gb plan, even though we do not stream video, stream music, or play video games. 3 PC's, 2 cell phones and an IP phone somehow manage to consume 30Gb (or more!) every month.

MommaMary, I hear your frustration with Verizon. And I share it. Any organization that treats its customer base like they're stupid deserves to loose them.  The idea of a class action lawsuit has much merit - and though I am not an attorney, to me seems almost laughably easy to win. Here is why/how:

My day job is a technical engineer/architect. I work with networks and data daily and routinely troubleshoot problems. As part of my job, I routinely have to inspect those packets of data that travel along a network, not unlike those packets of data that Verizon delights in charging you for.  For months I gave Verizon the benefit of the doubt - that  we really were somehow managing to use that 30GB every month.  As I trained my family on data conservation, the usage did NOT fall off.  In fact it increased. I then began to suspect the 'Ghost Usage" was coming from Verizon. I conducted several simple tests.  Test one - every device disconnected. Router left on, Cantenna left on. Result - The Ghosts were busy, consuming half a GB of phantom data.  Test 2 - Router turned off. All devices turned off. Cantenna left on. Result - Apparently the Ghosts like eating phantom data at the Verizon Router, because usage was much less - several dozen MB, but much short of the  half a GB.  Test 3 - Everything turned off - including the Cantenna. Result - the Data Ghosts still managed a reasonable meal - consuming several MB of phantom data - apparently using some sort of Ghost ESP to tell Verizon that my account needed charged for their meal - since everything was now powered off.

Test 5 has been in progress for several days. Now that I know I have a 'hungry ghost' problem, I am capturing all data packets using professional tools that are industry standard. What I expect is to see that the total of ALL packets is much less that what Verizon is billing for. This can be easily verified on multiple accounts. And that is a slam dunk class action lawsuit.

Below is Verizon's data usage table for my data. With the exception of 1/11 8:33 pm,  you can see that Ghosts prefer to feed on phantom data at roughly 6 hour intervals.  During this interval (except for 8:33pm), everything was powered off, including the Cantenna.

Screen Shot 01-13-16 at 08.55 AM.PNG

0 Me gusta

fernandobot

let's say your "ghost usage" is averaging 3000kb. that's 3MB. in a 31 day cycle. that's 93MB. for 5 devices that's less than half of a GB.

Toyota4x4van

The amount is irrelevant.  How can you possibly justify ANY DATA USE AT ALL when all of the equipment is TURNED OFF!? 

I have nearly all of my apps set to restrict data use.  That means that there should be 0 data use associated with those apps if not on WiFi.  Yet every single month, I have at least a dozen apps that use small amounts of "background" data.  And ALL of my apps are set to NOT update unless on WiFi.  Again, the amount of data being uconsumed is irrelevant; if they are set to not use data, then they should not use data, PERIOD.

I also have, every week or so, large amounts of data (1/2 GB+) showing up at 6:30am.  What's interesting about that is the fact that at 6:30am I am on the road driving to work, with my phone on standby, and for at least 18 hours before I got in my car, I was home on WiFi.  And yet, every single month, the largest blocks of data show up in that magical 6:30am timeframe.  EVERY SINGLE TIME! 

fernandobot

I have a difficult time believing Verizon is milking you dry a MB at a time; inflating data usage would be too obvious. Verizon's data reporting is not real time so usage information may be delayed and may account for data usage appearing during times the phones were off.

0 Me gusta

IT_Engineer
Miembro

Obbious?  How do you figure?  By your own reply, you admit Verizon's reporting is not real time and delayed. With reporting rolled up into approximately a 6 hour interval that may or may not reflect what was used during that interval, it makes it darned difficult to correlate real time data usage to Verizon's reporting. And that is amazingly convenient for Verizon. And the plans in question are not just a cell phone with data, but instead Verizon's Fusion offering. A whole-house internet solution designed to complete with satellite offerings. Trying to track usage and look for inflated usage is anything but obvious when the only reporting tool cannot accurate reflect the data used in any time interval.  And in my case, the whole [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] system was powered off, including the antenna, and to go a step more, the connection to the router disconnected. For 2 weeks now. And the MB continue to be used. Zero devices connected should not use any data. BTW, a Verizon  tech admitted that they were 'shocked' that I was showing data usage with the cantenna powered off, but he assured me that I was 'probably not' getting billed for it because the customer usage reporting is not as accurate as Verizon's internal, and that that data would assuredly not show up on the internal..."oh wait, I see it here too...I'll have to get back to you". Still waiting on that call

I've switched to Karma - a start up that offers cellular wireless on the back of sprint's network. This has allowed me to totally disconnect Verizon, so unless Verizon's system has a 3 week lag in the reporting, The phantom megabytes are for real. I might also add that Karma offers real time reporting on data usage on a per hour basis. A refreshing change from a 6 hour interval that may or may not be accurate, and could have data added because somehow there system could not accurately add up all data during a 6 hour window, and may adjust data usage days later. This is a Fred Flintstone tool that serves nobody but Verizon.

Gracias,

Verizon Moderator

0 Me gusta

Toyota4x4van

Again, the amount is irrelevant.  I am now 3 days into my billing period, and I already have 5 apps (2 of them Verizon bloatware) that have used small amounts of background data even though they are set to NOT USE BACKGROUND DATA.  What part of that do you not understand?  The data use for those apps should be 0!!!!

There are many of us who have done everything possible to reduce data use, but continue to see that usage increase.  I have gone from 8GB (4 phones) to 18GB of usage in just under 3 years, with the same phones and the same usage patterns.  In fact, with the changes that we HAVE made (auto connect to WiFi, restrict background data, etc), our data usage should have done nothing but decrease.  Yet here I am, approaching 17-18GB every month, instead of 8 GB being more than sufficient.

Yes, Verizon's data reporting is delayed, but not by 18+ hours!  When I am getting 1/2 GB showing up in a time period that is impossible (phone on standby, and on WiFi for the 18+ hours prior), then there is a huge problem.  IT Engineer has data use continuing when every single piece of his equipment is turned off and unplugged!  Yet you think that's acceptable?

How can any user verify what they have actually used when even Verizon refuses (or can't) to tell us what was used and when?  As IT Engineer said, it's certainly convenient for Verizon.  Is it so difficult to imagine that Verizon's system, AND their phone O/S, are programmed to inflate actual data use by a certain factor?  How could any of us prove otherwise?

0 Me gusta