cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Re: Paying for caller ID to block robo calls

sprmankalel
Leader

Let me break it down for you.

It is a software on the outgoing phone that allows the phone to change the number of the outgoing caller ID. All that needs to be done is to put in any 10 digits and that is what is seen when the phone calls out. It requires NO use of the Verizon Wireless network or hacking in order to do that.

0 Me gusta

jleon1971
Miembro

Thanks for the break it down and for  the clear explanation, your comment does not exclude wireless companies responsibility (again not singling one company, but all)  for knowingly allowing this to continue happening.

The initiating call needs to have access to the wireless network to be able to spoof or do anything. Whomever the wireless provider is used at that point is not secure and should at least attempt to investigate. Unless you believe the software plugs in the wireless network by magic.

Thanks anyway

0 Me gusta

dexman

Spoofing does not require access to a wireless network. Any telephone number can be spoofed by simply programing it into the telemarketer's telephone equipment. All one needs to do is type in 10 digits that follow the pattern of a standard telephone number and you're up & running. Doesn't matter if it is a landline or cellular number.

I've had telemarketers spoof my own landline number when calling my landline. My phone rings and my own telephone number appears in the display.

Again, any number can be spoofed. No hacking required.

0 Me gusta

jleon1971
Miembro

Dexman,  thank you, I know and understand that it is difficult to regulate foreign companies, I just hope it was possible to stop this spamming. I am frustrated to get 10 calls a days from robocalls and no one wants to do anything. At least nomorobo stopped them for a while, but now the robocalls are coming from cell numbers.

my phone is on DoNotDisturb mode and only rings when the number is on my address book. At least that is how I managed it to slow it down, but I still get the record on my phone spamming my call history.

Thanks again.

0 Me gusta

dexman

Sadly, there isn't a whole lot that can be done.

One thing that you could do would be to sign up over at 800notes.com, whocallsme.com and whitepages.com.

There you can log these calls and share the information with others. I've been contributing to those sites for years. It won't stop the calls, but, it can help warn others. ☺

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

dexman

Another aspect to consider is that if service providers did block spoofed numbers, what the ramifications would be when legit/active numbers are being spoofed. If my landline or mobile numbers were to be spoofed, and providers blocked them, I'd be dead in the water for no fault of my own.

A indepth discussion of this topic is beyond the scope of this site, so, I'll wrap up my comments here.

jleon1971
Miembro

True, but that is what I thing if valid spoof allowed for companies to use autodials should be registered, any unknow or unregistered should be blocked.  That is how companies can start regulating the use of spoofing, to prevent unsolicited calls or organizations with bad practices.

0 Me gusta

vanigo
Novice

I think there is a simple answer to this problem VZ should  provide free name and number ID then when your phone rings if you dont know them dont answer it.Also dont give out your cell phone number to everyone. Give out your land line or a VOIP number like google voice.

In some states these robo calls are illegal so in those states VZ should do whatever it has to do to block them without extra cost to those customers in those states.

My land line rings off the hook during elections with recorded political campaign ads because I am registered to vote I just let them go to voice mail.

Things used to be worse before the do not call registry and standardized addresses.

My phone would ring at all hours of the night I would have to turn off the ringer it was so bad.

I used to get the same junk mail addressed 3 or 4 different ways.

MR.X.Last name

X. Lastname

X.L. Astname

L.Astname

As long as the zipcode was there it got delivered.Why would a catalogue company send out 4 copies of the same catalogue is beyond me but they did.

0 Me gusta

vanigo
Novice

sprmankalel wrote:

To spoof a number, you only need to enter the number you want to appear as the caller ID. It isn't that hard and it doesn't break security. It literally is just designated what number you want as the outgoing caller ID using the spoofing software.

Again, I pay Verizon Wireless to connect my calls NOT to block them. I have suggested NoMoRobo which you can get for $1.99 per month as a third party service if you have an iPhone with iOS 10 or greater. Also, Verizon has a new service which is $2.99 per month and comes with a 10 day free trial.

You now have a choice. There are also plenty of free apps that will help with this.

You will NOT get any phone company to automatically start blocking these types of calls. Until our Federal Government makes these types of calls illegal they will not stop for free.

Are they annoying? Yes

Is the phone company responsible for blocking them? No

Write your congress-person.

Robo Call Laws - Robo-Calls.net

There are laws blocking robo calls already here is a list of them for each state.

0 Me gusta

jleon1971
Miembro

Out of 51 listed states 10 of them do not have restrictions.

The other states request for vendors to register to allow them make automated calls, few of them it is prohibited.  

What good is a robocall law if the organizations that manage and provide services do not help to enforce it?

For those who think spoofing a number is not a problem. Think about this, if a scammer/criminal  uses real people phone numbers, who do you think will receive a visit from the police, the criminal?.

0 Me gusta