cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quisiste decir:
Highlighted

I give up

Novice

I give up, it is now clear that the Verizon "response to COVID-19" included the complete elimination of all so-called Customer Service employees.

ALL attempts to reach any sort of "support" at Verizon, either by phone or online result only in dealing with robots (and not very well programmed robots at that).  After fighting my way through two automated systems back-to-back trying to convince Verizon robots that I wanted a live person, the second robot pretended that I could wait to talk to one.  Of course after a minute or so on hold (complete with awful music) I get a voice announcement telling me that due to COVID-19 Verizon didn't have anyone working but I could wait anyway and they might accidentally find someone.  More than a half-hour later I finally gave up.

This entire nightmare started with a stupid automated text message from Verizon telling me that they were switching me to "paperless billing" regardless of whether I wanted it or not.   The text went on to explain that if I didn't want this involuntary change, I had to respond to the text message by texting the magic code word PAPER.   Of course, I did that, but either the system is designed to ignore customer input or perhaps the Verizon programmers are simply too stupid to know that an automated system should acknowledge valid commands, because the Verizon automated system completely ignored my reply.   That was when I tried calling Verizon.

Later I got an email from Verizon with the same stupid announcement that no mater what I wanted, they were going to change me to "paperless billing" - but again they offered a false glimmer of hope in the form of a link where I was supposed to be able to tell Verizon that I did not want an involuntary change to their "paperless billing"

So I followed that link -- EVENTUALLY the Verizon page loaded (several MINUTES to load a plain text page, despite a 100MBps connection), but of course there was no option to choose not to be forced into this so-called "Paperless Billing" -- just a stupid announcement that they would automatically change my billing to "paperless" no matter what I wanted if I paid my bill online

Many years ago, when I became a Verizon customer, Verizon was the most expensive cellular provider but they had the best coverage and reasonably decent customer service.  Verizon continues to be (by far) the most expensive cellular service provider and continues to have the best coverage, but their customer service had been going downhill for several years, before now being completely eliminated.

I don't travel as much as I used to, so I really only care about coverage throughout my area.  In my area, Verizon does still have the best coverage (although not with as much of an advantage as in the past), but now I have a choice of other services that use the same Verizon network -- capable of giving me exactly the same coverage for about half the cost.  

Until today, the one advantage that Verizon had was that even their poor customer service was better than my experience with the most likely alternative.  But now Verizon has no customer service at all - so even Spectrum's miserable customer service is a step up from Verizon.

1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: I give up

Asistencia al cliente

Tomcu18, as I for one do prefer to receive all of my statements in the mail, I can certainly understand wishing to continue doing so. Clearly, you have been working on this for sometime and I would like to ensure that your account is not set for paperless billing. Please respond to the private message that I have sent. LorenB_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

I got the same message, but I didn't have any issues accessing the website to check the enrollment status for paperless billing. 

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/My-Verizon/Notice-about-enrollment-in-paperless-billing/m-p...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

The only problem I had accessing the website was that it was very slow loading yesterday -- perhaps due to all the Verizon customers trying to access the website in response to Verizon's notice that they were going to be forced into "Paperless Billing"

BUT when you get to the website, there is no clear choice to decline paperless billing.   There isn't even anything actually saying which kind of billing they show for your account!   There is a statement about whether or not you are "enrolled" but it doesn't say what you are enrolled for or what the choice to "unenroll" will do.  To me this looks like just an extension of the Verizon practice over the past few months of trying to put the paperless option button on the website in ways where the customer is likely to click on it while trying to simply pay their current bill or perform some other simple function.

Worse, the current status of your account doesn't seem to make any difference.  If you read the text or the email that Verizon sent you, it said that you were GOING TO be forced into Paperless Billing on some date about two months from now.  So it is entirely likely that the website could honestly say that you were enrolled to receive paper bills NOW without having anything about the change they were going to make without your consent in two months.

And finally, regardless of whatever you chose or didn't choose, there is also a notice on the website saying that you will be forced into paperless billing without your consent if you pay your bill online three times.

BOTTOM LINE:  Verizon has announced that they intend to force customers into paperless billing regardless of what the customer wants.

I have been a Verizon customer longer than most Verizon employees have been alive -- Verizon has always been the most expensive provider of cellular service, but when I came to Verizon I was willing to pay their prices because I traveled for work and they had the best coverage. Verizon also had acceptable customer service (at least once you got beyond the kids they hired to initially answer the customer service phone lines).

Now I am retired and I don't travel as much so I am only really concerned about coverage in my local area.  Around here Verizon still has the best coverage - including a few places where their network is the only reliable coverage.  Of course Verizon is still the most expensive carrier.  Their customer service has gotten progressively poorer - and now has been completely eliminated.  

Although the Verizon network has the best coverage, I can get that same network from other providers for a lower cost.  Until now, I have been unwilling to move to a lower-cost carrier on the Verizon network because their customer service has been known to be pretty poor.  But now Verizon customer service is nonexistent - so even poor customer service from Spectrum or another carrier would be better than Verizon's complete lack of customer service.

I am not on any contract.  I own my own phone outright.  My FICO score is 825.  There is nothing holding me with Verizon beyond my own dislike for change.  So if Verizon thinks they are going to force me to change to Paperless Billing they will find that I can manage a different change.

The day that Verizon shifts me into Paperless Billing will be the day that I sign up with another carrier If I haven't already by then.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

The next carrier might not give you the choice or they could tack on an additional fee to have the bill mailed to you. That's what happened with my current internet service provider. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Asistencia al cliente

Tomcu18, being able to manage your account is what we want for all our customers. To learn you've had a challenging time locating your Paper-free billing setting and getting support to your questions is worrisome. We strive to deliver an exceptional customer service experience, and I want to help turn your experience around. We'd never want you to leave the VZW family, especially after all these years! Since your account was already established, you do have an option to de-enroll from Paper-free billing. I've provided steps here: (refer to managing Paper-free billing #1) http://spr.ly/6605Gjh5T on how you can complete this. Please keep us posted on your results. 

ChakiaH_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

OK, ChakiaH_VZW, I'll tell you how your copy&paste script works out....

First I follow your link to the page where I wade through all the garbage FAQ...

Eventually I get down to the garbage FAQs about paperless billing (all of which are written on the assumption that everyone wants paperless billing)...

Gradually I realize that despite your assurances, there is nothing in the FAQ addressing the needs of any customer who might NOT want paperless billing, but maybe there is some small hope at the bottom of the answer about managing my paperless billing I find a link to "Payment Settings" which seems to be the best hope...

The link to "Payment Settings" takes me to log in, so I wait for the page to load and get signed in...

The "Payment Settings" page comes up with the heading "Auto Pay & paper-free billing" -- of course this is the same page that I complained about earlier, so let's look at this garbage page from a customer's point of view.  Nowhere on the page does it say whether I am set up for paperless billing.  Nowhere on the page does it offer a clear option to choose or reject paperless billing.

Instead of telling me what sort of billing Verizon thinks I have, there is a heading called "Payment envelope" with no explanation of what that means.  This heading includes my "Current status:" and shows that I am "not enrolled" -- but, of course, nothing telling me whether that means I am not enrolled in paperless billing or not enrolled in getting a bill in the mail -- just that I am "not enrolled" with no mention of what I am enrolled or not enrolled in!

Then this stupidity gets even less clear because it says "Go green and stop receiving a payment envelope" -- which seems to mean that the heading "Payment envelope" must mean getting a real paper bill in the mail.  So does that mean that I am "not enrolled" in "Payment envelope" and don't get my paper bill (as I always have and just did a couple of days ago)....

Then this same paragraph of total nonsense informs me that apparently my choices don't matter anyway because "You will automatically stop receiving a remittance envelope after 3 consecutive online payments."  So, according to this, no matter what I choose, I am going to be forced onto paperless billing if I pay online three months in a row.

By the way, this is why I have not paid this month's bill yet - because I now have to dig out my checkbook to write you a paper check, then go to the post office to get a stamp to mail it, because apparently that is the only way to get Verizon to respect my specific choice to NOT GO PAPERLESS.

So, let me ask you, ChakiaH_VZW -- do you have any doubt about WHY this long-time customer is now looking for a new carrier?

Let me suggest that instead of just copying the answers out of your script book, you actually look at the page you are telling the customer to use.

Highlighted

Expert

@tomcu18

You may be currently receiving your paper bill, but you are not receiving a payment envelope with that bill. That's how I read the payment envelope heading you described. You can check the bill you received recently to verify. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

So, you are an "Expert" and you can't even figure out what that page means -- and by your current guess, there is nothing on that page to give the customer any choice about paperless billing.

I guess we'll both wait to see what the clowns at Verizon decide to do.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

I was only addressing the payment envelope question. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Asistencia al cliente

@tomcu18 ,

It's disappointing to know that you feel that way when others are trying to assist you with what you want, but let's go back to the account settings that you had said you were not able to make sense of. When you go to the Payment Settings menu in your My Verizon account, click on the "Get Started" button that is listed under Auto Pay & paper-free billing. If you do not want to be enrolled in the options provided to you, click on the box to remove any checkmarks, and then click on the "Continue" button to follow the prompts as needed.

As for the Payment Envelope section, if you are listed as "Not Enrolled" then there would not be anything further for you to do. Enrollment means you no longer want to be provided with an envelope to send your payment in as you'd be providing your own, which will also happen if you make 3 consecutive online payments just like you had already mentioned. It does not affect receiving a paper bill or not. Please let us know if you were able to set up those options as you had wanted.

RussellM_VZW

0 Likes