cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

¿Cómo obtengo una tarjeta SIM internacional que pueda usar mientras viajo por Europa?

Smiley0847
Miembro

Viajaré a Escocia durante el semestre pero también viajaré por Europa. Quiero comprar una tarjeta SIM internacional, pero ¿alguien sabe cómo determinar si el teléfono está bloqueado o desbloqueado y cómo funcionan exactamente las tarjetas SIM?

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: Does anyone know about International SIM cards?

mama23dogs
Líder Sénior

All Verizon 4G LTE phones are sold unlocked out of the box.  Phones sold for prepaid are US only.

WHen you get to your destination, you sign up with a local prepaid service provider, get a new number and install their SIM card in place of your Verizon card.  You may need to look into a provider that covers the UK and most of Europe so you don't have to switch SIM cards constantly.

I know Verizon will suspend your US service for 90 days.  Make provisions to keep your account paid while you are away or cancel service knowing you lose your number.

YOu  can port your number to Viber or google voice, so you can still get calls and text on your US number over wifi.  (If you cancel your Verizon account, this saves your number till you port back when you return)

HAve a great time, I envy you the adventure!

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Líder Sénior

All Verizon 4G LTE phones are sold unlocked out of the box.  Phones sold for prepaid are US only.

WHen you get to your destination, you sign up with a local prepaid service provider, get a new number and install their SIM card in place of your Verizon card.  You may need to look into a provider that covers the UK and most of Europe so you don't have to switch SIM cards constantly.

I know Verizon will suspend your US service for 90 days.  Make provisions to keep your account paid while you are away or cancel service knowing you lose your number.

YOu  can port your number to Viber or google voice, so you can still get calls and text on your US number over wifi.  (If you cancel your Verizon account, this saves your number till you port back when you return)

HAve a great time, I envy you the adventure!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

MrChip
Miembro

My daughter just took her iPhone 5s to the UK for 3 months.  mama23dogs advice is good.  I can only add that I am not aware of any carrier that covers all of Europe as if it is one country.  We used O2 since my daughter spent 95% of her time in the UK.  When she left the UK for other countries (Italy, Spain, Ireland,...) she was considered international and had to do an international add on to her O2 plan. 

Rondo470
Miembro

That's the best advice I heard from all the internet when traveling abroad.  genius...  porting your US phone number to a Viber number...  Can you confirm that this worked?  Also, I don't trust Verizon enough to believe that my phone is unlocked and its as easy as swapping a sim card for it to work internationally without Verizon making any money from me.  Do you know if there are any hidden charges from Verizon if I swap the sim card out and use another carrier?  thanks...  mama23dogs and MrChip

mama23dogs
Líder Sénior

I have not done it.  I know people who ported their European number to Google voice, and use Google voice over wifi to keep in touch with family in Poland and Italy.   As long a you disable cellular (so you don't accidentally use cellular long distance) it's free.  

AS for your phone being unlocked, it is required and should be, but I have heard stories of Verizon phones being locked for either domestic or European use.  I would absolutely double and triple check unlock status, especially if you get a replacement device at any time.   Keep in mind that Verizon has unlocked older phones still used on its network,  it they may not have compatible bands for use on other networks.  And of course, the phone must have a SIM card slot.   Verizon iPhone 4 does not, many Verizon prepaid have imbedded SIM cards or no SIM card.