cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

¿Cómo administro la data móvil en mi iPhone cuando viajo?

MrChip
Miembro

Hola,

My wife will be traveling in Spain for two weeks.  Somos clientes de Verizon Wireless.  Quiere usar su teléfono durante este viaje.  She signed up for a $40 international plan that gives her 100 minutes of talk time, 100 outgoing texts, unlimited incoming texts and 100 MB of data.  She was told to put her phone in airplane mode when not on wifi to avoid using any data.  I have a few questions to confirm we will not be hit with a huge international roaming bill.

In terms of phone calls home, my wife is planning on using Facebook Messenger when she is on wifi.  Otherwise, the only phone calls will be local calls within Spain.  She has an iPhone 5s, if that matters.  I am an Android user, so please forgive basic iPhone questions.

1.  My wife is an active user of Facebook and many friends post pictures on her wall.  My concern is that if she needs to turn off airplane mode to make a call, Facebook will automatically update and will download multimedia files that blow past her 100MB limit.  Is this a possibility?  Is there some way to turn off Facebook's auto update without impacting Facebook messenger?

2. Is there another way besides airplane mode to turn off cellular data use?

3. Is there some way on the iPhone to get warnings after a certain amount of data, say 50MB, is used?

4. Are there any apps that she can install that will show a running total of cellular data usage on her home screen?  We would need to be able to set it to zero when she lands in Spain.

5. Any other suggestions?  She will be taking a lot of photos with her phone.  Does she need to make any changes with iCloud to make sure these photos are only backed up over wifi and not cellular?

6. Finally, can anyone suggest an app that would help in English - Spanish translation?  Do all of these apps require internet access?

Thanks so much for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: How to Manage Cellular Data on iPhone When Traveling in Spain

emerald_eyez
Novice

First, I'm jealous of the trip!  I've been dying to visit Spain.  I'm going to try to answer all your questions for you here.  I'm an avid Android user myself but have a lot of experience with iPhones as well.

1 and 2 - Airplane mode is nice because it stops calls, messages, and data while letting you use WiFi to your heart's content.  You can turn off just the data though and not have the phone in airplane mode at all.  Go to Settings - Cellular Data - The switch is green when the data is ON and white when the data is OFF.  If you do it that way, you can use data when needed and still be able to make/receive calls and messages throughout the trip.

- If you are in the settings - cellular data - you can scroll down to a list of applications and turn those off as well to avoid auto updates over data as well.  I'd suggest turning off Facebook if she's worried about the updates!

3. From my last trip out of the country, Verizon sent me messages and alerts when my data got close to my usage limit just like it does with your domestic plans here in the States.

4. An app my sister uses on her iPhone is Data Usage Monitor - it has a blue icon with a gas gauge looking symbol on it.  It can help show data usage and what apps etc use that data.  It might be helpful!  Otherwise, search the Apple App Store for 'data usage' and check out reviews on some of the higher rated ones.

5. iCloud is always on WiFi only unless the settings were changed.  I'd go to Settings - iCloud - and just double check the syncing settings in there to make sure it says WiFi only.

6. I personally use Google Translate for any translating I've had to do.  It's a very simple application to use.  I think it would still need internet access.  I haven't tried it without personally.

View solution in original post

emerald_eyez
Novice

First, I'm jealous of the trip!  I've been dying to visit Spain.  I'm going to try to answer all your questions for you here.  I'm an avid Android user myself but have a lot of experience with iPhones as well.

1 and 2 - Airplane mode is nice because it stops calls, messages, and data while letting you use WiFi to your heart's content.  You can turn off just the data though and not have the phone in airplane mode at all.  Go to Settings - Cellular Data - The switch is green when the data is ON and white when the data is OFF.  If you do it that way, you can use data when needed and still be able to make/receive calls and messages throughout the trip.

- If you are in the settings - cellular data - you can scroll down to a list of applications and turn those off as well to avoid auto updates over data as well.  I'd suggest turning off Facebook if she's worried about the updates!

3. From my last trip out of the country, Verizon sent me messages and alerts when my data got close to my usage limit just like it does with your domestic plans here in the States.

4. An app my sister uses on her iPhone is Data Usage Monitor - it has a blue icon with a gas gauge looking symbol on it.  It can help show data usage and what apps etc use that data.  It might be helpful!  Otherwise, search the Apple App Store for 'data usage' and check out reviews on some of the higher rated ones.

5. iCloud is always on WiFi only unless the settings were changed.  I'd go to Settings - iCloud - and just double check the syncing settings in there to make sure it says WiFi only.

6. I personally use Google Translate for any translating I've had to do.  It's a very simple application to use.  I think it would still need internet access.  I haven't tried it without personally.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope you have a fun trip MrChip. It seems like pretty much covered everything. We do have an international http://spr.ly/6582BTWwu plan if you would like to take advantage of it. I would recommend putting the phone on Airplane mode especially if you are not going to use the call/data features. the phone will still allow you to use WiFi. Let me know if you like to have a data plan added while traveling.
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

MrChip
Miembro

Thank you so much for all of the great info!  I wish I was going, too.  I have a few questions about international telephone calls and texting that perhaps you and/or Amber can answer.

1. What happens if I send a text from San Diego to my wife's cell phone simply using her 858 number?  Will she get it in Spain?

2. Would I be charged anything extra for sending an international text?

3. Is this text a free incoming text for my wife?

4. What if she wanted to text me from Spain?  Would she need to enter our country code.  Assume my cell is 858-111-1111.  Exactly what would she type to text me?  And would this just count as 1 of her 100 texts, or is there an international fee?

5. What about calling?  If someone calls my wife's 858 number while she is in Spain, will it go through?

6. How can I call her from San Diego?

7. The plan gives her 100 minutes.  She was told she can use these minutes anywhere.  Does this mean she can call the US for no additional long distance fees?  Are any incoming calls for her that originate in the US also free?

Thanks!  I will tell her to get that app.

0 Me gusta

MrChip
Miembro

Amber, please see my questions above regarding text and calling.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mr. Chip!

Aw, too bad you aren't going on this trip with her! Maybe next time, right? Now, let's get to your questions:

Q1. What happens if I send a text from San Diego to my wife's cell phone simply using her 858 number?  Will she get it in Spain?

A1. Yes, she will get the message in Spain. Since you will be in the states, you will not incur any international charges. You mentioned before that she had a global plan that includes messages, so the message you send her will be deducted from her allowance.

Q2. Would I be charged anything extra for sending an international text?

A2. This was already answered above

Q3. Is this text a free incoming text for my wife?

A3. The international text message would be deducted from her global plan allowance

Q4. What if she wanted to text me from Spain?  Would she need to enter our country code.  Assume my cell is 858-111-1111.  Exactly what would she type to text me?  And would this just count as 1 of her 100 texts, or is there an international fee?

A4. She wouldn't have any separate dialing pattern to text you, she can use your 10-digit number

Q5. What about calling?  If someone calls my wife's 858 number while she is in Spain, will it go through?

A6. It sure will go through if she receives a call, as long as she is in an area with coverage

Q6. How can I call her from San Diego?

A6. To call your wife from San Diego, you would simply dial her 10-digit number. Because you are initiating the call, no special dialing pattern is needed.

Q7. The plan gives her 100 minutes.  She was told she can use these minutes anywhere.  Does this mean she can call the US for no additional long distance fees?  Are any incoming calls for her that originate in the US also free?

A7. The answer to both questions is yes. She can call the US and the minutes would come from her allotment. Incoming calls would also be included in her allotment.

I hope this information is helpful for you guys, since I know it's important to stay in touch!

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta