cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

How can my device be active on someone else's account and there's nothing I can do?

warfarin
Miembro

I never thought this would be this long episode when my friend gave me his LG gizmogadget to me in July, 2018.

He was leaving the US, so he was actually planning to dump it, but just before he left, we found out we both were using Verizon mobile, so he gave it to me.

As school starts in late August, I tried to add the device to my account, with $5/month add on plan.

I did it online, seemed successful, the agent told me to wait a few hours, so I did, but the device wouldn't activate.

After that, now I don't remember how many chats and calls I had to make.

One agent told me that I could only be able to use it until the end of this year, the other said until the next year, and some told me it could only be activated on prepaid account, and the story goes on.

I was quite frustrated but was still ok, because I understand it is not a common device, and the device doesn't hold a separate SIM card, so things could be trickier.

After some days, one agent I chatted says the device was linked to someone else, so it had to be released from that account and then added to my account, again, I thought it could happen. I contacted my friend who is now in Asia, and he gave "permission" and his account login information. I tried to resolve this by chatting with the agent but didn't work out very well.

Now, last Friday, I went to a Verizon store(not a reseller) near my place, with the device.

The agent there tried to resolve the issue but said the same story about the device being active under a different account, so I gave my friend's account information. To my surprise, my friend's account was clear and terminated well. The agent tried to track down this thing and figures out the device was sold in a Verizon store in New York.

I am stuck.

I am in California, and the store near me says they will activate my device once it is released, the store in NY said they will sort this out and get back to me, but when I tried to call back, they say just to call 611, when I call 611, the agent says the same thing about not being able to activate my device because it is active under some other account, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Now, how could this happen? Doesn't every device have unique IMEI or MEID?

So although I have the device, with the box, that thing is already active somewhere else. Can somebody explain this?

Or could somebody suggest a better mobile service other than Verizon?

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (3)
0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Re: How can my device be active on someone else's account and there's nothing I can do?

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn that your device is currently active on another account, warfarin. You are a valued customer and I don't want you to consider a move from our Verizon Wireless family.

You were informed correctly regarding your device, it is systematically impossible to activate the device on your account if the device is already active on another account. Each device has a unique ID number and the same number associated to a device cannot be activated on two accounts at the same time. 

Antonio_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Re: How can my device be active on someone else's account and there's nothing I can do?

warfarin
Miembro

Well, I understand that I cannot activate my device if it is active somewhere else.

What I don't understand is,

1. How could my device number got registered to someone else's account in the first place, if we admit that every device should have a unique device number?

2. How come I cannot do anything, when I have the valid ID, rightful ownership of the device(which can be shown through my chat messages with my friend), and the device itself? Shouldn't the existing connection be reset and mine be activated?

this situation is truly weird to me....

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

warfarin wrote:

Well, I understand that I cannot activate my device if it is active somewhere else.

What I don't understand is,

1. How could my device number got registered to someone else's account in the first place, if we admit that every device should have a unique device number?

Where did your friend originally get the device? If he purchased the device from a 3rd party, it could still be activated on the original party's account.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

warfarin
Miembro

He told me that he bought it at a local Verizon reseller shop, brand new.

My first attempt to activate this device was Aug 23, and they figured out the activation in New York occured on August 25th. In retrospect, If my first agent has done his/her job correct, I might be happily using the device now.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Your concerns are certainly important, and we want to help get down to the bottom of this, Warfarin. You're correct that all devices have unique ID's, however, if a device is currently activated on another account the account owner would need to remove the device to activate it on your account. I'd recommend contacting your friend to check if they gave the Device ID to anyone interested in using the device prior to you. I hope this is beneficial.

Chakia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

warfarin
Miembro

Chakia_VZW,

Although your answer is not very helpful, I can see that you are trying to help. I appreciate it.

I had to look at the box for the MEID of the device, so I don think he had a chance to memorize it and give it to someone. I've known him for almost twenty years, and I am guessing that he might not even know what MEID is. Besides, at least I've confirmed from him last weekend that he doesn't know anybody in NY.

I think the agent at the Verizon store stated that it was recorded as sold at the store in NY.

So, I think I have every right and proof for my device, but all Verizon people say to me is you cannot activate it unless becasue it is active with someone. Why woudln't you reset the device ID instead?

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

warfarin wrote:

So, I think I have every right and proof for my device

Does this include the receipt your friend got from Verizon when he purchased the device? That would be the only "proof" which matters.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

warfarin
Miembro

I agree with you that the receipt might be the best proff I can get. I don't have it yet, but this guy is quite close friend of mine, so I could ask for it if it is what I need. However, as you can see here with answers from the Verizon guys, they are just stating I cannot activate my device because it is active with someone else. They there's nothing they can do. I can see that from third person's perspectiv, and maybe Verizon, I could also look suspicious in some way. I think there should be someone from the Verizon to actually look at the matter in both sides, but they are just saying the same thing again and again.

0 Me gusta