cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quisiste decir:
Highlighted

Federal Universal Service Charge

I sure would like someone from Verizon to explain the Federal Universal Service Charge to me.  According to my bill, "Percentage-based taxes, fees, and surcharges apply to charges for this line, including overage charges, plus this line's share of account charges."  Okay, fine.  Except that it doesn't compute correctly.

I have 4 lines.  2 of them are month to month with a $15/mo access fee, and have a FUSC of $0.42 each.  The other 2 are still on contract with a $40/mo access fee, and have a FUSC of $0.76 each. Now if you figure in my discounted account charge of $85/mo (divide that by 4 and you get $21.25/mo), it means that the FUSC for the first 2 lines is 1.16%.  But for the second 2 lines, the FUSC is 1.24%.

No matter how I manipulate the charges; use the full $100/mo account charge instead of my discounted rate, include insurance (which is only on 1 device), include a $5 late fee...no matter what combination I try, the percentages are different between the lines.  If the FUSC is percentage based, then that percentage should be consistent across all lines.  It isn't.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Federal Universal Service Charge

Líder Sénior

It's also took charges which adjust those charges. Mine are always high because where I live and call. I love in Hawaii and call a few states with high tax which has to be paid per call. California for example. CT goes as far as to include internet calls calling landlines.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

TO be accurate, all 4 lines have a $40 access fee, two are discounted by $25 per month.  The other 2 are under contract.  I don't know how the fed taxes the lines when it includes the subsidized purchase of a phone.  Good luck finding out.

0 Likes
Highlighted

mam23dogs might be onto something. 

A percentage based fee should be just that; a specific percentage.  That is not what is happening.  The 2 that are discounted have the exact same FUSC fee/percentage, and the 2 that are not discounted (still under contract) have the exact same FUSC fee/percentage, but a different percentage from the first 2.  Perhaps it does have something to do with the subsidization of the phones on those lines.  Verizon needs to be able to explain exactly what our charges are.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Toyota4x4van,

We certainly understand your concern in wanting to make sure you have all of the details regarding charges on your bill. The Federal government assesses wireless carriers to fund the delivery of universally affordable telecommunications and information services to all Americans, including low-income consumers, all eligible schools and libraries and rural health care providers. The Federal Communications Commission also assesses wireless carriers to recover the cost of enforcement, policy and rulemaking, and user information activities for the year, i.e the Federal Universal Service Charge (FUSC).Something else that can effect what you are charged is the phone numbers on your account. Are they are the same area code? Do you have a different billing address from your primary place of use address?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

The bulk of your "answer" has nothing to do with my question.  I already know WHAT the FUSC is and what it is for.  I'm asking how it is calculated.  Yes, I have 2 different area codes.  BUT, the different percentages charged are not in line with that.  In other words, 1 of the lines that are charged 1.16% is a 909 code, 1 is a 951 code.  Similarly, 1 of the lines that is charged 1.24% is a 909 code, and 1 is a 951 code.

I don't understand your last question of "Do you have a different billing address from your primary place of use address?"  I use my phone all day, both at home and at work.  Yes, they are different locations.  That applies to all of my lines, as it does (I'm sure) to nearly every single wireless phone user in the nation, although again, the difference in percentages charged does not follow along with the "majority of use/area" differences.  I don't believe that is the difference, or there would be different percentages for all 4 of my lines, since all 4 are used in different locations.  Vuelve a intentarlo.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

Read my response up above. It is affected by county state and where you are calling. My are higher than most since being in Hawaii.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I already read your response; it doesn't explain the different rates I'm being charged.  All of my calls (all 4 lines) are within the exact same county and state 99.99% of the time.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

And they call the same people the same amount of time for the same duration?

0 Likes
Highlighted

No, they don't, and that is the point.  IF it was the calls that are being made that were responsible for the different rates, then each of 4 lines would have a different rate.  That is not the case.

Here is the picture:

#1: Rate 1=909 area code, subsidized, often used 35 miles away,

#2: Rate 2=909 area code, not subsidized, used within 15 mi radius,

#3: Rate 2=951 area code, not subsidized, used within 15 mi radius,

#2: Rate 1=951 area code, subsidized, used within 15 mi radius,

No matter how you manipulate it, there is nothing that can explain 1 rate for two of the lines and a different rate for the other two lines.  The ONLY common denominator that follows the 2 different rates is the idea that a subsidized phone is taxed at a different RATE than an un-subsidized phone, yet no one (not even Verizon) has been able to explain or confirm that.

0 Likes