cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

Extreme Unexplained Dated Usage Spike Scam

lsmith2
Miembro

I average about 3-4GB of data usage per billing cycle. 10 days into this billing cycle, I get an alert that I'm almost out of data. Called and spoke to Verizon customer service and they couldn't explain it. I wound up adding an additional 5GB of data to the plan to cover this month, turned off wifi assist (which has never been a problem in the past) and went on my way.

Not even 24hrs later, I get another notification that I'm almost out of data AGAIN!!! Somehow my phone burned through 4GB of data in less than a day and now I'm supposed to add more data to my plan again. I spent 45 mins on the phone with tech support and they couldn't explain it, but they "understood my frustration." This has never been an issue in the past and they couldn't explain any of it logically and kept insisting that my phone must've done an update or was running background apps, etc. There have been zero updates/changes to my settings and apps in the last 2 weeks, so why is my data spiking? Verizon doesn't know, but I should definitely buy more data. 

What a scam. I've turned off all my cellular data because I don't know how else to stop Verizon from bleeding out my data and they're certainly not able to explain it or give any credits. Worst experience ever. I'll be shopping around for another service provider after this. 

Re: Extreme Unexplained Dated Usage Spike Scam

Ann154
Expert

Did you look at the phone's internal data counter to see which applications are using the data? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Me gusta

Tellio2
Miembro

I am scanning through these pages and starting to see a pattern????? evedently I am not the only one being scammed into finding out why my data usage spiked and now I am signed up for unlimeted 

I am going to investigate further and find out if verizon is doing this to everybody, manipuating data usage is NOT LAWFUL!!!!!

lsmith2
Miembro

Yes, but the data is cumulative, so it's not an accurate indication of the amount of usage per app. All it indicates is that the normal "high usage" apps remain the highest usage apps. 

0 Me gusta

lsmith2
Miembro

Yes, but that's cumulative data, so the reality is that the only thing that will provide me is verification that the same apps that typically use the highest amount of data, remain the highest data users. It's not really indicative of WHY. 

0 Me gusta

Ann154
Expert

@lsmith2 escribió:

Yes, but that's cumulative data, so the reality is that the only thing that will provide me is verification that the same apps that typically use the highest amount of data, remain the highest data users. It's not really indicative of WHY. 

You could have reset the counter after the first usage warning and seen what was using the data. 

Just because you may not have updated or changed the settings for the applications, doesn't mean there wasn't a server update that changed how the app used data. 

The phone's data counter is a diagnostic tool that allows you narrow down the possible users of the data so that you can research further into why those specific applications are using the data. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Me gusta

lsmith2
Miembro

I know you don't work for Verizon, but since you seem to be speaking on their behalf and are potentially employed/receive benefits from them, perhaps you know the answer to this...regardless of me resetting my data, wouldn't Verizon have the ability to filter my data usage down to the day and review it? If not, they can just blanket their justification and say, "you used the data, we see it in our system...we know nothing beyond that, but here's the charge." Seems pretty sketchy. 

0 Me gusta

cotton1001
Miembro

I had the same thing happen to me in June. My husband and I share 24GB and all of a sudden we kept getting notifications of overages, it was crazy! I thought the same thing that this was being doen to force us into buying more data. 

Ann154
Expert

@lsmith2 escribió:

I know you don't work for Verizon, but since you seem to be speaking on their behalf and are potentially employed/receive benefits from them, perhaps you know the answer to this...regardless of me resetting my data, wouldn't Verizon have the ability to filter my data usage down to the day and review it? If not, they can just blanket their justification and say, "you used the data, we see it in our system...we know nothing beyond that, but here's the charge." Seems pretty sketchy. 

This is a peer to peer public community forum and not a direct link to Customer Service. Anyone who registered for the community forum can provide information or advice about the devices and services used on the Verizon Wireless network. 

You can look your data usage on your MyVerizon account online and see when the data is used. They don't have access to know which applications or services actually used the data. The phone's data counter records the usage in more detail and you can compare it to the Verizon Wireless records if you reset the counter to match your billing cycle each and every month. The Android phones do a much better job of designing their data counter as they allow the user to set the counter to automatically reset based on your billing cycle date and stores a few months data. The iPhone lacks these features and forces the user to manually reset the counter if they want to track their usage better. 

0 Me gusta

dtocci113
Miembro

I had the same issue hit me last night for 1 of my 4 phones.  We have a 10Gb monthly plan. Never had an overage in 5yrs.   Last night I was hitting overages every 30mins on one of my phones until I had it suspended.     The only place you can see which app is using data is under Settings-> Cellular, there it lists each app on you phone and the data quantity used.  It would be the quantity since last resetting the counters.

Agree...sketchy..and I am seeing quite a few reports lately about this.