cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quisiste decir:
Highlighted

Excessive Data Usage Problem...

Miembro

Has anyone found a resolution to their experience of unexplainable and excessive data usage? I've been experiencing a similar problem ever since I upgraded to the S6 in May, and all of my research into this problem online seems as unresolved as everyone that's been experiencing it for years...

I've been using a 2GB plan for as long as I can remember, and rarely ever surpassed use of 1GB per month. Now I'm finding that my usage is hitting 1GB within the first week and a half of my cycle. During my previous experiences I almost always had 4G/mobile data active, and now I keep it turned off 90% of the time. I always use Wi-Fi at home, and even in public places when possible and yet the data use is just increasing exponentially.

The only apps I actively use data with would be email, Facebook/Instagram, Google Maps, and Chrome. When I go into Settings > Data Usage, each of these only seem to comprise a couple hundred MB at most. It just doesn't explain how  I do stream videos via Netflix and Hulu but only on Wi-Fi. I know this because I connect to my Chromecast at home, which requires WiFi access. The only way that my usage has changed in anyway is an increase in group text messages, but I have read that this MMS doesn't count against your data allotment.

I have run the data utilization tool that seems to be the only recommendation from Verizon and the numbers still don't seem to add up. Again, the highest ranking usage is web and social networking.. and as previously mentioned, I have drastically decreased the ways I use these apps when using mobile data. I have even gone into almost all of my apps and selected any available option to use less data, to restrict background data, etc.

I have also already restricted any cloud backups, Google play updates, etc. to update via WiFi only.

I can't figure out what could possibly be leading to such an extreme increase in usage, particularly when my active efforts to decrease use seem completely ineffective. It's definitely getting easier to become skeptical that something is going on to force people to purchase more data...

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: Excessive Data Usage Problem...

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hola Alyromul,

We always want your data charges to be accurate! We definitely want to assist in locating applications or activities that maybe using large amounts of data. We can then look for ways to reduce the billed cellular usag on these applications. All cellphones now keep data of what applications used billed cellular data. Please go to settings>cellular>use cellular data for: List me the top 4 applications with MB/GB uage. Please keep in mind that it only takes 1024MB to make 1GB of data. So those small hundreds MB can add up to 1GB. The applications listed here are only billed cellular data and does not include any Wi-fi totals. We can use a remote diagnostic tool to review the data as well if unable to locate this page.

Gracias,

PamelaF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Highlighted

Miembro

Thanks for the reply. I'm not seeing the Cellular option in my Settings, but when I go to Settings > Data Usage, the applications currently showing the greatest amount are Instagram (204 MB) Facebook (192 MB), Youtube (181 MB) and Google Play Store (146 MB), although the time period shown represents a month that is divided between two billing cycles.

Even though small hundreds of MB can add up to 1GB quickly, this still does not explain why using the same apps less than I was using before is using MORE data, more rapidly. For instance, I used to always have mobile data on, with Facebook Messenger running in the background at all times.

Highlighted

This issue happened to me in November 2013 and February 2015 and I just upgraded to the newest Apple OS and it's happening again!  Is Verizon working with Apple to fix this bug?  I have been using less than 4 GB of data on my plan since the resolution of this issue in Feb. Prior to that upgrade - I had been using less than 2 GB per month. It seems that every time I upgrade my iPhone, this issue comes up.  I have made no changes to my use of data so that's not the issue.  The issue is once again overcharges from VZW that are caused by a compatibility issue with the most recent Apple update - I use an iPhone 5 first edition - this oldies not happen with an iPhone 5 C or S - just the "older" version.  The fix last time was Verizon 13.1 - is there a newer version that might address this issue?  I already accepted the upgrade to 8GB at $15 so I would not face any overage charges but at the usage rate registering right now, I will probably need more. Please reply promptly with the solution.  Gracias.

To reference my last post in Feb 2015, click here:https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/851398

Highlighted

Novice

It would be beneficial to sync the data usage tool with your billing cycle.  That can be done at  settings/data usage/ and touch (maybe long press and data might need to be on) the billing cycle to get a drop down box with option to "change cycle".  Warning and limit data settings can be set here.  Data must be on to access some of the Data usage features.

If the smart network switch (settings/WiFi/three dots/advanced/) is enabled the phone will default from WiFi to data if the data signal is stronger.

Apps that you will not use or will use only on WiFi can be Restricted from data.

That on my S5. The S6 might be the same.

0 Likes
Highlighted

My Razr M is going through data like crazy, and the biggest culprit is the Android OS.  Last month, the Android OS used 1.5GB, all of it listed as background. It was the second largest user of data, right behind Chrome (at 2.5GB).  My data/month reset this morning, and in just 12 hours, the Android OS has already used 244MB of background data. It is the top data user so far.  Chrome is at only 173MB.  This is nuts, how do I stop it?

Not only that, setting apps to restrict background data does nothing!  Chrome is set to "restrict background data", yet is consistently uses backgound data.  Even worse is the SmartActions app; it is not only set to restrict background data, it is also completely disabled on my phone, and yet it uses small amounts of background data every month!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

What phone did you have before this one you got in May? Currently you use the Galaxy Android 6S correct? The Verizon Rep wanted you to go to settings>cellular because that is what you do an the iPhone 6 S (needless to say things can get confusing.)

I'd definitely look into turning off your Data if you're going to be using Wi-Fi. That way if Wi-Fi drops out your cellular data doesn't pick it up.

You got the phone in May and being that I don't know your billing cycle, how many Bills have you received? I can't help but wonder if it's been so high lately because there is a new OS update rolling out, which means apps seem to want to update daily, along with the actually OS update. Plus the set up of your phone, if you didn't do it over Wi-Fi, would have been taxing on your data as well; downloading apps.

I haven't been on the forums long, maybe 4 months, but I've yet to see someone provide valid evidence that Verizon is some how applying data to someones account that wasn't actually used.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

4x4: Have you done a factory reset since the OS update?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, I have done a factory reset since the Kit Kat update, more than once.  In fact, the last time I did a factory reset, Verizon's website recorded a 1.5GB hit in data use in just 1 hour right after my reset but before reinstalling any apps, 1.5GB that my phone did NOT record!   I've been having data issues for a long time; some months are ok, some are horrible, with no discernible difference in usage patterns.  I have spent the last several years trying to do everything possible to lower my data use, and the result has been the opposite.  Instead of data use going down, it has only increased.  When the OS is using more data than my internet browser, there's a problem with the OS.  And when Verizon bloatware is using data even when it is disabled AND set to restrict background data, there is a problem with Verizon.

Here's the issue that all of us are facing, and have been facing for months/years:  There is absolutely no way for us to challenge the numbers that Verizon claims for our data use.  They can't/won't tell us exactly what data was used, only that we used it.  Their own website has a data calculator for people to estimate how much data certain activities are likely to use, yet the numbers are a fraction of what actually shows up when we engage in those activities.  Verizon (on their "calculator") claims that streaming video in 4G will use about 350MB/hour, yet when we actually stream that movie, it is more likely to burn through several GBs in an hour. Streaming Audio?  Verizon claims just 60MB/hour.  Can any of you stream music at that rate, or do you actually consume 10X that?  And their new "data utilization tool"?  So vague that it is pretty much useless.  None of the "examples" in the categories shown on mine have any resemblance to my data use/habits.

Do you honestly believe that Verizon couldn't easily program both their system AND their phones to overcount actual data used?  How would we know?  How could we challenge it?  We wouldn't, and we couldn't, which creates a really dangerous situation for the consumer, and a situation that is ripe for abuse by Verizon.  And with the sheer numbers of people complaining about this very issue...well, where there's smoke, there's generally fire.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

You can actually download a 3rd party app to also help record your data usage that way you don't solely rely on Verizon.

As for the 1.5GB used "1 hour after factory reset" - you should know data doesn't get reported immediately. 1 hour seems too short, though it's possible it recorded that quickly, but you most likely used it earlier. It could even be days old, depending on if you were in an extended area or not.

There was one person who turned off their phone completely for almost 2 weeks who swore up and down Verizon was adding data and only 2 x was a very minimal amount of data reported, but being that he had used it during the billing cycle it was most likely from usage days earlier.

The only sure fire way to claim Verizon is adding data is to not use it for an extended period of time and see what happens.

0 Likes