cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

Edge program period now two years?!

79vanburen
Miembro

I upgraded as eligible to a new phone under the edge plan on 12/14/14.  My understanding at that time was that the edge payoff period had been increased for a discounted upgrade from 12 to 18 months.  I wasn't happy about that, but so be it.  Now when I look at my plan online and when I am next eligible for a discounted upgrade, it shows a date of 12/14/16...two years from when I last upgraded.  How is this different from a regular two year contract (12/14/16 minus 12/14/14 = two years)?  Seems to me that I'm paying the same rate for my plan as someone with a subsidized phone on contract, plus $30.00/month extra to LEASE (not buy) my phone...and I still have a two year wait to be able lease a new phone at a discount.  Seems like the edge plan is now a big rip off to pick up even more money from unsuspecting customers. 

• Pay the same monthly rate as someone with a subsidized phone. 
  • Pay an extra $30.00 a month to lease the phone. 
  • Turn the phone back in to Verizon instead of it being my phone at the two year mark. 
  • Pay for two years before being eligible to upgrade - same as on a contract plan. 

Just what is the advantage of being on the edge program?

(for the customer - it's clear what the advantage for Verizon is)

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: Edge program period now two years?!

sprmankalel
Leader

Let's see if I can break this down for you.

When you signed up your agreement is that you must pay of 75% of the device before trading it in and upgrading. That works out to 18 payments. So if you only paid every month you would wait 18 months. You can, at any time after the first 30 days, pay the balance up to the required 75% and trade it in and upgrade. Edge, as I am sure you know, revolves around the full retail cost of the device. This is split over 24 months. If you make all 24 payments the device is yours and you don't have to trade it in. You are not paying the same as on a contract plan. You pay the discounted line fee plus the device fee. So if your discount is $25 you pay $15 for the line and $30 for your phone. That is $45 monthly. Not the $40 plus $30 that you think you are paying.

To the best of my knowledge, VZW has changed the program and now the only way you are eligible for an upgrade is to pay monthly until all 24 payments are made or at any time after the first 30 days you can pay the balance in full and get a new device. You will no longer be required to turn in your device as you will be required to always pay the full retail cost to end the Edge agreement. This will not apply to any agreements signed prior to May 31, 2015.

I hope this clears things up for you.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
Community Manager

79vanburen,

We are to help clarify a the Edge Program for you. We would not want you to feel mislead. With the Edge Program you do not want to have 2 years to upgrade. All you have to do is pay the remaining Edge Up Balance.  On top of this you also recieve a monlty discount on your price plan.

Check this link out

http://vz.to/1wzL0ps

YareliM_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

Weth
Líder Sénior
  • Pay the same monthly rate as someone with a subsidized phone.
    • This is not true - you pay $15 or $25 less for monthly rate per line on Edge depending on how much data you have
  • Pay an extra $30.00 a month to lease the phone.
    • It depends on the phone, but it is the total cost / 24 months.
  • Turn the phone back in to Verizon instead of it being my phone at the two year mark.
    • Wrong again - the phone is yours at the 2 year mark when Edge is completed.
  • Pay for two years before being eligible to upgrade - same as on a contract plan.
    • You can at anytime, pay off the phone and get an upgrade, which you cannot do on contract. You can do this on the first day if you chose. The phone is then yours, your do not hand it in, and you can sell it to defray the cost of the new phone.

Overall, when you calculate your costs, if you keep the phone for 2 years, you will break even to make out almost every time with Edge. Your understanding of the plan has significant errors that is tainting your perception of the program, which actually is more fair now, and gives consumers better deal since you are not throwing away your investment but handing the phone back in.

sprmankalel
Leader

Let's see if I can break this down for you.

When you signed up your agreement is that you must pay of 75% of the device before trading it in and upgrading. That works out to 18 payments. So if you only paid every month you would wait 18 months. You can, at any time after the first 30 days, pay the balance up to the required 75% and trade it in and upgrade. Edge, as I am sure you know, revolves around the full retail cost of the device. This is split over 24 months. If you make all 24 payments the device is yours and you don't have to trade it in. You are not paying the same as on a contract plan. You pay the discounted line fee plus the device fee. So if your discount is $25 you pay $15 for the line and $30 for your phone. That is $45 monthly. Not the $40 plus $30 that you think you are paying.

To the best of my knowledge, VZW has changed the program and now the only way you are eligible for an upgrade is to pay monthly until all 24 payments are made or at any time after the first 30 days you can pay the balance in full and get a new device. You will no longer be required to turn in your device as you will be required to always pay the full retail cost to end the Edge agreement. This will not apply to any agreements signed prior to May 31, 2015.

I hope this clears things up for you.

View solution in original post

Weth
Líder Sénior

You no longer have to wait 30 days, you can pay off right away and get another phone since May 31.

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

79vanburen wrote:

I upgraded as eligible to a new phone under the edge plan on 12/14/14.  My understanding at that time was that the edge payoff period had been increased for a discounted upgrade from 12 to 18 months. It appears as if you did not fully understand the Edge plan, then. For you to qualify for a "discounted upgrade", you have ALWAYS had to pay off your Edge purchase IN FULL. If you only made the monthly Edge payments, this has always been 2 yrs. You were eligible for another "Edge" upgrade IF you turned in your current Edge phone after the 50%, 60% or 75% balance had been paid off, depending on when you made your current Edge purchase. For a "discounted upgrade", though, it has always been 2 yrs or after you had paid the full Edge balance.

I wasn't happy about that, but so be it.  Now when I look at my plan online and when I am next eligible for a discounted upgrade, it shows a date of 12/14/16...two years from when I last upgraded.  How is this different from a regular two year contract (12/14/16 minus 12/14/14 = two years)?  Seems to me that I'm paying the same rate for my plan as someone with a subsidized phone on contract, plus $30.00/month extra to LEASE (not buy) my phone...and I still have a two year wait to be able lease a new phone at a discount.  Seems like the edge plan is now a big rip off to pick up even more money from unsuspecting customers.

• Pay the same monthly rate as someone with a subsidized phone. Someone with a subsidized phone is paying a $40/month smartphone line access fee. Someone on Edge gets a $15/$25 discount on that line access fee.
  • Pay an extra $30.00 a month to lease the phone. Depending on the phone, of course. You also did not have to pay $200-$300 up front for that Edge phone.
  • Turn the phone back in to Verizon instead of it being my phone at the two year mark. You only have to turn the phone back in if you did not pay the full Edge balance before upgrading to another Edge phone.
  • Pay for two years before being eligible to upgrade - same as on a contract plan. You can pay the Edge balance and then upgrade at any time.

Just what is the advantage of being on the edge program?

(for the customer - it's clear what the advantage for Verizon is)

The advantage of being on the Edge program is the $15/$25 line access fee discount(depending on your data allowance, of course) over being under contract. With a 6 GB or higher data allowance, the $25/month line access fee discount works out to a $600 savings over 2 years where the discount on a phone purchased under contract works out to ~$400. That is a savings of ~$200 over 2 years.Smiley Happy

79vanburen
Miembro

Gracias por tus comentarios.  I failed to take the line discount into account, and did not realize that "leasing" the phone was no longer part of the plan. I originally switched to the edge program in December of 2013, and edged up last December (2014) after making the monthly payment for 12 months and then turning my phone back in to get new one.  So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the difference now is that paying off a percentage of the phone's retail price along with returning the phone is no longer an option...now we buy the phone period by either by paying the full price over 24 months, or by paying for x number of months plus paying off the balance of the retail price at (almost) any time.  Thank you, though I'll probably miss the "lease" option, the scenario as you've explained it is much more palatable.

0 Me gusta

79vanburen
Miembro

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to address my complaints and educate me further.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad your fellow community members were able to shed a bit more light on the new changes to the Edge program, 79vanburen. It seems as if you have an excellent understanding based on your last reply. Keep in mind that with the new option to pay off the phone at any time, the phone becomes yours to keep. That means you can trade it in at www.vzw.com/tradein or even sell it through a 3rd party to offset the cost of the purchase if you'd like.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

sprmankalel
Leader

79vanburen wrote:

Gracias por tus comentarios.  I failed to take the line discount into account, and did not realize that "leasing" the phone was no longer part of the plan. I originally switched to the edge program in December of 2013, and edged up last December (2014) after making the monthly payment for 12 months and then turning my phone back in to get new one.  So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the difference now is that paying off a percentage of the phone's retail price along with returning the phone is no longer an option...now we buy the phone period by either by paying the full price over 24 months, or by paying for x number of months plus paying off the balance of the retail price at (almost) any time.  Thank you, though I'll probably miss the "lease" option, the scenario as you've explained it is much more palatable.

You are welcome. This is your only option now. You buy the phone full retail and at the end you own it no matter what. Whether you pay it in payments until the 24 months is up or you pay the balance off, you will be paying the full cost and keeping the phone. I never understood why anyone would want to pay $300 for a phone to use it for 12 months and turn it back in. That made no sense to me.