cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Data usage on my phone doesn't match Verizon. Why?

Annan
Miembro

I have an iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.1 with small 1GB data plan that I use carefully as an occasional hotpot for my iPad. I'm on a tight budget, so I'm careful. I don't use Verizon data for video, streaming or other known data hogs. Wifi Assist is off and data usage for phone apps is carefully monitored. I turn on data for each app when I need it. It's a hassle but I'm on a budget.

My typical usage is around 600MB per month which I monitor with an app called Data Usage that I've used for several years. Historically the app has been very accurate except for an unexplained overage in February 2017 that triggered a $15 charge for more data. Two weeks into my monthly plan in April 2017 I got the dreaded 90% alert from Verizon that I was nearly out of data, even though my data tracking app and my phone itself show that I had used about 40% (410MB).

When I compared my phone logs, the data tracking app logs and Verizon's data usage log I discovered a big discrepancy. Between 4am-5am one morning while I was asleep at home (with great WIFI and WIFI assist turned off) Verizon charged me for 520MB of data. My phone itself and my third-party phone app do NOT confirm that usage. That one hit accounts for the entire extra data "used" during the month of April.

So now I'm essentially without data for the next 2 weeks unless I buy more or change plans.

I went to the Verizon store immediately after getting the alert. No answers. Told me to call tech support. Checked in with tech support, nada. I've been online reading other people's accounts, including the excellent article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer and find that I'm not alone.

Leaving Verizon is an option since I'm not on contract but I was very happy with my plan until this happened. ¿Qué sucede?

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: Data usage on my phone doesn't match Verizon. ¿Por qué?

Annan
Miembro

I found the problem. Apparently I used and my third party app recorded 519MB usage on April 6th which was in the previous billing cycle and would have been within my data limit for that billing cycle.

Unfortunately, Verizon recorded the usage in the early morning hours on April 7th, putting it into the new billing cycle which prematurely pushed me over the limit last week.

Very frustrating, but now I know that my 3rd party app "Data Usage" IS accurately recording usage.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Annan, it's quite concerning to hear that there is such a large descrepancy between your usage on the phone and the Verizon usage. It's crucial that your data be accurate. I need to gather additional details, so we can get to the bottom of your situation. Please reply to my Direct Message for additional assistance.

MichelleH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Highlighted

Annan
Miembro

Thank you for the prompt response. I'm a bit confused. Is this where I reply?

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Annan
Miembro

Update: the Verizon rep looked into my situation and verified that Verizon's system tracked the excess data to my phone. That doesn't answer the question about why I had such an unusual event while in a WIFI zone with all my cellular data usage on lock-down, but apparently it's the best answer I'm going to get today.

I intend to monitor my data carefully through the next 2 billing cycles to verify - again - that my 3rd party app is accurately tracking data usage on my phone. Historically it has. We'll see.

In the meantime, if anyone else has experienced something similar, I would appreciate hearing from them.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Annan
Miembro

I found the problem. Apparently I used and my third party app recorded 519MB usage on April 6th which was in the previous billing cycle and would have been within my data limit for that billing cycle.

Unfortunately, Verizon recorded the usage in the early morning hours on April 7th, putting it into the new billing cycle which prematurely pushed me over the limit last week.

Very frustrating, but now I know that my 3rd party app "Data Usage" IS accurately recording usage.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

joey2007ua64
Novice

Are you on the $60 1GB Loyalty Plan?  If so you may want to consider the 5GB single line plan for $55.

5GB for $55 | Verizon Wireless

It includes Safety mode to prevent automatic overages once activated, and your unused data will carryover for one month.

Highlighted

Annan
Miembro

Thanks. That's a great idea. I'm going to investigate the options today.

0 Me gusta