cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

Data Usage - is it being hacked?

nhkayak
Miembro

Did the on-line chat the other day with a Verizon rep with no satisfaction so let's try this.................   Data usage on my account is crazy.  I have the extra large package for myself and my son.  My line tends to reasonably use data but his is through the roof and tends to push us over.  I look at the data usage charts on the account and it shows that the majority of data is being used by "technology" apps.  I asked the rep what those are and was told it was computer software type apps, i.e., GitHub - none of which he uses. (Yes, I've looked at this phone and no apps of that nature.)  Is data just really measured by pulling numbers out of a hat?  I'm really frustrated at this point, been with Verizon forever, but really am going to start looking at other carriers.................

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (1)

Re: Data Usage - is it being hacked?

boringusername

No it's not being hacked. Don't look online and look at the actual devices. The device themselves will tell you EAXACTLY which apps are using EXACTLY how much data.

0 Me gusta

kathy65793

I honestly don't know how they come up with how we use our data but I know when I check that chart it says I used 13%on navigation. I never use any navigation on my phone. The best way to tell where your data is going is to go into settings-data usage-mobile data usage. This will tell you which apps are using the data. You have to set it up so that it knows what day your billing cycle starts and that it is starting on that day.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

nhkayak,

We don't want to see you to. At the same time, we can  relate to how important it is to understand your usage. We respect your privacy, so data utilization is broken down into apps on our site. Which device is your son using? There are ways to determine which apps are used the most. This is provided to you by information collected directly from the device. KatiM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

boringusername

kathy65793 wrote:

I honestly don't know how they come up with how we use our data but I know when I check that chart it says I used 13%on navigation. I never use any navigation on my phone. The best way to tell where your data is going is to go into settings-data usage-mobile data usage. This will tell you which apps are using the data. You have to set it up so that it knows what day your billing cycle starts and that it is starting on that day.

Why people haven't figured out how to see data use on the actual device when I know Android has had this feature for at least 6 years is beyond me. Also you can compare what your phone says to what Verizon says on your bill. By the way they are always with 2% of each other for me and usually in my favor. What's even more frustrating is people rely on alerts when those can be delayed and you can even set your phone to stop using mobile data when a preset level is reached. Of course there is safety mode which people still don't use for some reason.

0 Me gusta

Chismes
Líder Sénior

Navigation things like weather apps even photos pull metadata. Maps some apps will pull data running in the background to stay current where your general location is. You may not be using them at that time doesn't mean they are not pulling data.

As for technology apps. Some apps may have servers that pull from things like github because it may be cheaper for that developer to use than some other host server.

0 Me gusta

glitchedpixel

Other carrier isn't going to magically make data usage stop. It'd be like saying you're leaving McDonald's for Burger King because you don't like fast food, doesn't work.

If your son has an iPhone, go to to settings > cellular and turn off WiFi assist at the very bottom. If he doesn't have an iPhone, disregard.

Don't know how you expect a complete stranger is going to know what your son does specifically on his phone when you're his mother who could ask him.

Data is measured off generic catagories, Verizon isn't going to know what apps are installed or what sites are visited because that'd be an invasion of privacy.

Alternatively, restrict your son's usage if he's constantly putting you over instead of trying to blame the carrier.

0 Me gusta