cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quisiste decir:

Data Usage - Is Verizon taking advantage of us?

Miembro

Do other people have the same issues? In February I moved to Verizon and I am always just a breath away from exceeding my data plan. I don't understand how I am always over and or almost over my data usage. I had another carrier for over 4 years and never ever exceeded my 1GB of usage. Now when I look on my usage there are so many 0.0001 or 0.0002 charges in a day, I don't get it. Plus I am getting these charges when I am asleep NOT using the phone and have wifi going at home and at work - so there should be no data usage at all when I am home or work. There is no way that I should exceed 1GB, I don't even stream tv, movies or music and at most one YouTube 90 second video in a month - but do so using wifi.  I also have turned off all GPS related things  - I don't know why I am getting dinged for usage in the wee hours of the night, while I am asleep, this so unfair and nothing like my experience with other wireless carriers. I am so upset and feel violated - and taken advantage of because we have NO control. I see by the forum I am not the only one. What the heck is going on?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: Data Usage - Is Verizon taking advantage of us?

Líder Sénior

goldfile wrote:

You are suggesting I buy a new phone? How is that a fix? I am sorry, but I don't think this is the customer service I was expecting, buy a new phone, what? Do you know how much time this is sucking out of my life? uncaring bad customer service

First of all, USMC_Veteran did not suggest you purchase a new phone. They suggested you may need a new device. Your device is still under warranty. Trading it in for a warranty issue IS NOT purchasing a new phone. If you do so, it is better if you actually do the trade at an Apple store. This way you may get a new device instead of a refurbished one  which would most certainly happen if you do the trade at Verizon.

Second, Apple designed their iPhones to turn off wifi when the device is in standby mode to conserve power. They do not turn off cellular, only wifi. This is by design by Apple. There is nothing Verizon can do about this.

I currently have 2 iPhone 6's and 1 iPhone 5S on my account along with an android device. We have NEVER had a problem with using more than our allowance on our shared data plan. There are MANY things which can be using data while you are not actually using the phone. If you take a photo, the phone may automatically upload it to your photo stream. If you play music, the phone could default to play music from the cloud EVEN if you have the music saved on your phone, too. Each time the phone checks for email, this uses a minute amount of data to ping the email server. iMessages use data. etc...I have checked the settings on all of our iPhones to ensure that most data intensive actions which are not important will wait for a wifi connection. This prevents them from taking place EVEN if wifi were to turn off when the phone is in standby.

Lastly, when the phone is plugged into a power source, I don't believe wifi turns off even in standby. Since we leave our iPhones plugged into a charger overnight, this prevents data usage overnight by keeping the wifi from turning off in standby mode. This last thing is only a guess, but that is the way I see it. I also have my iPhone screen on all night as a bedside clock which would also prevent wifi from turning off as the phone is not in standby mode at any time during the night. I don't think the other 2 iPhones on my account use their phone as a bedside clock, though.

Good luck.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Asistencia al cliente

We never want you to have these feelings towards us goldfile. You always deserve the best value for you usage and accurate data reporting is mandatory. Data reflects type of usage, applications, bit rate or resolution being used. Different companies offer different speeds that resolve in more data being used. What make/model phone do you have? Do you turn your mobile data off when connected to wifi to avoid mobile data from being used?

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Miembro

Thank you for replying JorgeO

I have an iPhone 6, purchased at the end of January of 2015 running 8.4

No, I don't turn off mobile data, I have 1) never heard of doing that; 2) was never instructed to do so by Verizon or any other carrier; 3) don't think it is SOP and the phone should not be dinging my data when not in use.

My previous phones have all been iPhones for the past five years, in those years I barely used 500mb a month let alone an entire gb of data. I realize there is more available data hogs online, but I don't stream anything. I truly feel like there is some sort of Verizon software eating my data, it isn't me. I am very dissatisfied and doubt I can stay with Verizon if this continues.

0 Likes

Miembro

Goldfile, So I have the iPhone 6 plus purchased in Feb 2015 and also running 8.4.

You are correct, you don't have to turn off mobile data. What you might want to do though is double tapping the home button to see all open apps and swipe them up out of the screen (turning them off) to ensure they are not using the data. You could also go into your settings>cellular and turn off cellular data for everything you don't use. You should not have to, but that would help eliminate whether the phone is at fault or the network. It could be that with cellular data on that the apps are still using the data (even when your phone is not in use), but if wifi is on AND connected then your phone shoudl be using the wifi. If you notice that wifi is on and connected and still you have data disappearing you should call into tech support 8009220204 from a phone other then the phone you are having issues with. You may need a different SIM or even device and possibly a ticket put in.

Hope this helps

0 Likes

Miembro

You are suggesting I buy a new phone? How is that a fix? I am sorry, but I don't think this is the customer service I was expecting, buy a new phone, what? Do you know how much time this is sucking out of my life? uncaring bad customer service

0 Likes

Líder Sénior

goldfile wrote:

First of all, USMC_Veteran did not suggest you purchase a new phone. They suggested you may need a new device. Your device is still under warranty. Trading it in for a warranty issue IS NOT purchasing a new phone. If you do so, it is better if you actually do the trade at an Apple store. This way you may get a new device instead of a refurbished one  which would most certainly happen if you do the trade at Verizon.

Second, Apple designed their iPhones to turn off wifi when the device is in standby mode to conserve power. They do not turn off cellular, only wifi. This is by design by Apple. There is nothing Verizon can do about this.

I currently have 2 iPhone 6's and 1 iPhone 5S on my account along with an android device. We have NEVER had a problem with using more than our allowance on our shared data plan. There are MANY things which can be using data while you are not actually using the phone. If you take a photo, the phone may automatically upload it to your photo stream. If you play music, the phone could default to play music from the cloud EVEN if you have the music saved on your phone, too. Each time the phone checks for email, this uses a minute amount of data to ping the email server. iMessages use data. etc...I have checked the settings on all of our iPhones to ensure that most data intensive actions which are not important will wait for a wifi connection. This prevents them from taking place EVEN if wifi were to turn off when the phone is in standby.

Lastly, when the phone is plugged into a power source, I don't believe wifi turns off even in standby. Since we leave our iPhones plugged into a charger overnight, this prevents data usage overnight by keeping the wifi from turning off in standby mode. This last thing is only a guess, but that is the way I see it. I also have my iPhone screen on all night as a bedside clock which would also prevent wifi from turning off as the phone is not in standby mode at any time during the night. I don't think the other 2 iPhones on my account use their phone as a bedside clock, though.

Good luck.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Líder Sénior

I Will add that the iPhone 6 and 6+ use more data doing the same tasks on iOS 8 than previous phones and older iOS. 

The larger screen means everything loads in HD.

Just upgrading from a 3G iPhone 4S to a 4G LTE phone will increase data use by 2-3 times.

0 Likes

Líder Sénior

This is not always the case. Loading email does not necessarily use 2-3 times the data when moving from 3G to 4G. Downloading/uploading files doesn't either.

It all depends on HOW you use your data and WHAT you are doing with your data usage. Streaming video, yes it may use more data depending on what your phone/app settings are. Uploading files will make no difference whatsoever. Downloading files will make no difference whatsoever. Streaming is the main thing which will increase data from 3G to 4G and that depends on your phone/app settings.

When I moved from a 3G phone to a 4G phone, my data usage was almost identical. After 3 years on a 4G phone, my data usage is STILL only about 20% higher than what it was when I had a 3G phone. That is whether I am using an iPhone OR an Android device.

Someone who watches a lot of streaming video or listens to a lot of streaming music would obviously see a significant bump in their data consumption. Many people don't do EITHER of those.

Líder Sénior

I Agree, but there was an independent study done across providers of customers that went from 3G to 4G and the average was between 2 and 2.5.  The range was wider, but everyone went up. 

Miembro

I don't stream at all. I understand about photos going to the cloud, etc... but again, I don't do much with the phone other than use it as a calendar, GPS, a PHONE and a way to play music in the car. And I make games for a living and don't even use my own phone to play them or make them. So I am not a total tech idiot. Which is why this is so frustrating. My biggest use is GPS. My average monthly use (doing the same thing on an iPhone 5 with 4G LTE) on a different carrier was 500mb. That is why I feel so violated.