I am the admin on my sister in law's account. She plans on separating from our Family Share Plan once her contracts are up (she has kids). I would like to assume ownership of the account and all other lines. However, my mom and wife need to upgrade their phones NOW (They are eligible). What actions should I take? How should I proceed? I was told that we had to wait until the contracts of the account owner and all of her kid's were up before we could get upgrades in order for her to be able to leave without penalties (which is in December). I also read something about it affecting warranties. Can you please give me a breakdown of what we need to do?
Thanks in advance,
Just to fine tune things, this is what I gather:
Your sister in law is the account owner of ALL the lines currently.
You are an account manager of said account.
She would like to cancel her account or she would just like to be on her own separate account?
If she is the account owner I think the easiest thing to do would be to have you assume all lines in their current state (however you cannot assume any lines that have an Edge contract, those would need to be paid in full first.) Then she can break away and assume liability of her line and any other lines she may want to take with her.
If some of the folks on the plan need to upgrade and you have 6gb or more of data each month, the cheaper option will more than likely to be doing an Edge agreement, however again, if you do that, you can't assume liability of those lines.
I'd proceed cautiously with doing all of this because again, Edge agreements can not change ownership until the amount is paid so if you upgrade now for a $600 device and want to assume liability of it next month, you'll have to fork over about $570 to do that.
I think she wants to cancel her account altogether. Nonetheless, None of
the lines are under any Edge contracts. I think we are going to steer
clear of those for now. So is it best for me to assume liability of the
accounts now and get the upgrades for my mom and wife or go ahead and get
their upgrades and wait until December to assume liability? Please advise.
I would go ahead and assume liability now and then when your sister in law want's to cancel, you can do that for her.
Once you do take over the liens, I would really consider Edge. If your mom and wife are out of contract and you have 6GB or more of data each month this is what happens:
You do pay full price for the phone BUT you save $25 on the access line fee. Lets say one of them wanted an LG G4, it has a payment of $23 a month, but then you save $25. It not only makes the phone free over the course of the next two years, but it also makes your overall bill $24 cheaper over the course of 2 years. If you do a 2 year contract you'd pay $200 for the phone up front and $40 for the upgrade fee AND you'd get no discount on the $40 access line fee. On a 2 year contract after the 2 years you'd spend: $1,200 and on Edge after 2 years you'd spend: $910.
Now if they all have basic phones, that's a different story. It would be cheaper to pay the .99 cents or what have you for the device.