cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Re: Absurd increase in data reporting from Verizon on our data usage.

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

@Luvgisela escribió:

@rcschnoor easier said than done. After my posts in June, I actually downloaded glasswire app to try to prove what was going on by monitoring data completely and seeing which of my over 200 apps were using data.   

It IS easy and I'm not sure the need to use glasswire. ALL smartphones have a built in data monitor which tells  you how much cellular data each app uses which is independent of Verizon or any other cellular provider  you may be using. You don't need to trust Verizon for counting the data and you don't need to download a 3rd party app. ALL smartphones have a built in app native to the device's OS which will let you know how much data your apps use. Glasswire probably just takes the data already gathered by this native app on your device.

For example, I just checked my current cycle data usage with the first page shown below.

Screenshot_20190723-052945.png

Looking a little closer, I saw something which was a little surprising since I didn't think I was using that much data with the Times Union(local newspaper) app. I rarely look at this app on my phone.

Screenshot_20190723-053002.png

This app has used 250 MB of cellular data even though I don't remember opening it during this billing cycle and 237 MB(background data) of that usage was when I wasn't even using the app. Just ONE example of how your data usage can be higher than you think it is even though "your habits haven't changed". This is an app I rarely use, yet it has used a quarter of a GB in the first week of my billing cycle! I'm sure it is possible that MANY people have similar apps which are using background data on their device which is increasing their total data usage.

Yes, I/you could disable background data on apps, but then people would be complaining that they no longer receive notifications from their apps. The app can't show a notification if it can't receive data in the background. That is the catch-22 in data usage. People want their notifications but don't want to use too much data. It takes data to receive notifications.

Another example of an app on my device which used more data than I had realized(125 MB out of 127 MB was used in the background when not using the app) is shown below:

Screenshot_20190723-054628.png

0 Me gusta

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

I just compared my device's data counter with Verizon's data counter and my device actually has recorded MORE data usage than Verizon has recorded so far this month:

Untitled.jpgVerizon usage = 1.3 GB

Screenshot_20190723-055310.pngDevice data counter = 1.37 GB

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

We would never want to lose you over this concern, and I want to make sure your device is working properly since you said that the Glasswire app affected your phone. As for your data usage, I always turn data off and keep it that way unless I need to use it and I'm our of reach from Wi-Fi. I use GPS for an hour a day on my commute, and still never go over .5 GB with my Samsung Notes 9. Until we can get your phone back to normal, we can't address the data usage but I am certain using your device on a different network would produce the exact same results. Please send a PM so we can troubleshoot your phone and get to the root cause of your concern.

TinaN_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!_VZW

0 Me gusta

rachelzono
Miembro

I am having the same issue.  I used 4GB in 3 days and my phone use has not changed. I am on vacation and was forced to sign up for the unlimited plan.  When I return home I will be looking for a new provider.  I have been with Verizon for decades.  

0 Me gusta

rachelzono
Miembro

That is not true.  My phone usage has not changed yet I used all my data this month in three days.  Customer service has no explanation.  I am looking for a new provider. 

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

rachelzono, 

We value your long time loyalty, and we don't want to see you leave Verizon! I know how important it is to be able to determine the source of your data usage, so you can more effectively manage your data in the future. While your usage seems to have not changed, changes in apps or app settings that you use frequently can impact your data without you realizing what has happened. We offer a Data Utilization tool on My Verizon that can help you identify the source of your data usage, so you can avoid unexpected data usage in the future. Check it out here, and let us know if you still have questions regarding your data usage.  

http://spr.ly/6602EI22k

MichelleH_VZW

0 Me gusta

Purplemania
Miembro

I just got to Verizon, and I have the same concern. It really seems like I haven't used that much days over the last couple of weeks. I use my phone a lot but not that much, and my data is showing I'm at 12gb, in such a short span. I will be calling them today to check in. 

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

Purplemania

Welcome to our wireless network. We want to make sure that you understand how data usage is debited from your allowance. Did you have a chance to view your data usage details online at My Verizon by signing in as the Account Owner here? 

https://login.verizonwireless.com/vzauth/UI/Login?realm=vzw&goto=https%3A%2F%2Fmyaccount.verizonwire...

Please click the link below for a better understanding of how much data is used when doing things like downloading music, or streaming video to make sure you're on the right plan for you.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/understanding-data-usage-video/

LasinaJ_VZW

0 Me gusta

Pbidro
Miembro

I am having the same issue. I'm three days into my cycle and Verizon is saying I've used 7+GB of data. That's not possible. Nothing has changed with our usage. Ayuda, por favor. 

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

We certainly understand your concerns in regard to your data usage. We are here to support you. A Private Note will be sent, so that we can dig further into this with you. -BrittanyC_VZW

0 Me gusta