cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Re: Absurd increase in data reporting from Verizon on our data usage.

STUJOH48
Miembro

My husband uses his smartphone for talk & text ONLY yet data usage on his phone is about the same as mine - and I do use data when away from home.  Can you explain to me what's going on if it's not something funny with Verizon??  I have wondered (cynical of me) if Verizon is wanting us to upgrade our data plan - which has been well more than we've (translated - I've) used for years now with my iPhone! We received notice we had .06 left in our data plan with 15 days more to go in the month! And there's been nothing unusual in my usage and when we checked my husband's line, his usage was almost as much as mine - and, again, he really only uses his phone for talk and text.  Our son is urging us to switch to Republic Wireless....... He may gain some traction with us now.

Highlighted

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

Have your husband delete all of the apps which use data that he does not use.

Check your phone's data counter. The apps which use the most data should be listed. Delete these apps since you husband does not use them. Many apps CAN and WILL use data in the background even if you are not actively using the app at the time.

RKMIC
Miembro

Here's my latest update on the issue with massive cellular data consumption.  I've been working with an Apple Senior Support Advisor and Apple Engineering.  I uploaded numerous log files from special app and procedure I was required to install.  In addition, I was required to upload the devices configure/files/something which was about 700MB zipped via iTunes from my PC.

Several days later, I was personally contacted by the Senior Support Advisor.  It was escalated above engineering as many people are having the same issue.  She said it appears to be a bug.  I was to look out for a patch to fix the issue.  This has been a week so far.

If the patch isn't available, I plan to upgrade to iOS12.  From what I can tell, it should be available on September 18th.  Typically these upgrades are available seven days after Apple's September announcement.  This it's September 12th.

Let's hope one of these fix my (our) issue.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

We’re honored that you are a Verizon Wireless customer, STUJOH48, and we truly don’t want you leaving. With data being used at a rate different than in the past, I’d be concerned too. To begin unraveling what’s happening let’s use the Data Utilization Tool in this link:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/tools-for-monitoring-usage/
For each device, what categories show up as using the most data?

As a potential alternative to changing the data plan, one could use our exclusive, and free rewards program called Verizon UP. This program gives you the ability to receive special offers such as an additional gigabyte of data this month and many other opportunities. To sign up and learn more, please visit http://m.vzw.com/m/UpSocial .

Is Automatic Downloads turned off? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202180#iOS 
David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

STUJOH48
Miembro

Hola David,

Thanks for your response. I did look at the data utilization for each of our phones and the largest data usage showing for his phone is web and apps. Interesting when you consider that my husband only uses his phone for text and talk. How is this happening? There is an app called Amazon on his phone that he did not put there and inside that app there is Audible, Music, Kindle, IMDb, Amazon Appstore and a link to Amazon itself (for ordering stuff). He didn't put it on his phone and he doesn't use it. When we look at data usage on his phone, Amazon music shows the largest usage, but there is absolutely nothing in the app if you go to it because he doesn't use it! We thought we would just delete the app but a message came up warning us that it could make something else unstable so then we tried to turn off anything and everything that might be using data. But we really don't know what we're doing.

He had a flip phone before but likes the keyboard on the smartphone. But this data thing is about to push us past our limit of patience. Google Play Store, Message+ (what in the world is that anyway?), NFL Mobile, Google Services and a few other things are all showing up as using data. Our data package is low but it has been more than enough - I've never come close to using it up and I've had an iPhone for 6 years. And now, with this change in his phone, we're suddenly bumping up our data usage without his even using data - at least of his own choosing.

Where do we go from here? We're not going to increase our data package nor do we want to even consider some kind of program. We just want to use our phones as we've been doing without such issues as we're facing.  I have turned off all kinds of cellular stuff on my phone to the point that I can't send or receive group text messages, my voice mail is no longer working even though I deleted a bunch of them, and I can't use my phone when not in a wi-fi environment to pull up an email when in a store or check maps or weather when not in wi-fi. We're pretty frustrated by this and thus, if Verizon can't help, we're seriously considering pulling the plug on VW, which we would prefer to NOT do. But we're being pushed close to the edge of doing that.

STUJOH48
Miembro

Simple question, but we are so technically challenged - how do you delete apps from an Android phone (he has an LG)? I know how to do that with an iPhone, but that doesn't seem to be what one does with an Android.

Gracias.

0 Me gusta

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

STUJOH48 wrote:

Hola David,

Thanks for your response. I did look at the data utilization for each of our phones and the largest data usage showing for his phone is web and apps.

Don't look at Verizon's data utilization as that info is pretty useless since they don't let you know which apps fall into which categories. Some could even fall into multiple categories.

Use your phone's online data counter which will let you know how much data each app has used during the most recent billing cycle. If there are apps which are using a lot of data which are not being used by your husband, you should either disable or uninstall those apps.

0 Me gusta

STUJOH48
Miembro

I can't figure out how to delete or uninstall the app. Can you tell me? He has an LG something.

0 Me gusta

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

STUJOH48 wrote:

Simple question, but we are so technically challenged - how do you delete apps from an Android phone (he has an LG)? I know how to do that with an iPhone, but that doesn't seem to be what one does with an Android.

Gracias.

Press and hold the app icon. When you do so, you may get a dialog which says app info. Press app info and you should get a button to uninstall.

These instructions may be slightly different depending on which phone you have and what version of android you are using.

Simply stating the phone manufacturer does not let us know which phone you have. For example, Verizon currently sells 3 different LG smartphones on their website along with several which they used to sell but no longer do so.

Hope this helps.

0 Me gusta

STUJOH48
Miembro

Well, I did as you said. I held the icon and saw the app info and a remove tab appear. I slid the icon into the remove tab but then when I go back to the app screen, it's still showing up so I guess I'm still not deleting it?

I appreciate your help. Thanks for your patient advice. He has an LG G Vista.

0 Me gusta