Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

2-year Termination for EDGE

lori_leighton
Miembro

Hello all!

This is regarding two lines that were intentionally upgraded from a 2 year contract to the EDGE program (over a year ago) and one that we did not want to be on edge because a problem, like the one we experienced, would occur.

Anyways, about a year ago one of the lines was due for an upgrade after the 2-year contract was done and one of my sons and myself went to our local Verizon Wireless to see about getting a new phone. It was strongly urged that we switch over to the edge program since we will get a discount of $25 from each line. Because of that we decided on switching the upgrade from another line so my son could get a much needed new phone also. So far we knew that switching to the EDGE program means paying the entire price of the phone over a 24 month period (in the past I think 21 months). We also knew that the discount for switching to edge would almost cover this cost of the phone and thus it would be cheaper in the long run after the phones were paid off.

Next comes the funny business. The Verizon sales rep obviously saw that we were interested in saving $25, possibly more by switching multiple lines to the EDGE program. We get home, happy with the new phones that we have received and having paid several monthly bills my other son is searching for his upgrade. Of course he is on the EDGE program...wait three lines on the EDGE? Further research and we found that his upgrade date is the same as the two lines that got an upgrade meaning that they completely screwed over the 2-year contract! Turns out that when he paid for the phone starting the 2-year contract ($150) and made it through the two years without any mishaps or issues and now we have the pay the full price of the BRAND NEW phone through EDGE!

The outcome of switching to EDGE has resulted in us having to wait three and a half years to upgrade a line and $650 (the price of the three year old phone that was bought on a 2-year plan). It is probably impossible to get off paying the full price of the phone but even getting the original $150 would be great. I am unsure wether Verizon had intended on doing this to us but it seems like we have gotten the short straw. We don't know what to do so I am hoping that these awesome forum members can give some advice or even solutions.

¡Gracias!

Lori.

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta

Re: 2-year Termination for EDGE

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hola lori.leighton,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are experiencing a concern with Edge! I'd like to help clear up any confusion you may have. I'm a little unsure of the contract you referenced. To clarify, an Edge agreement doesn't extend your contract. However, if you have some contract time remaining on a line, that remains even after signing up for Edge. Did you find that the contract was actually extended? Also, sometimes promotions that are available come with a contract, rather than it being from an equipment purchase. When you upgraded through Edge, did you also get a promotion for that line of some type?

MichelleH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

Weth
Líder Sénior

I Can't quite follow your story.  To start a new Edge agreement, you cannot be in a contract.  You state only 1 line is out of contract, but you wanted to start an Edge agreement on 2 lines.   The third line of the second son is still in contract at this time?   Your line was out of contract?  How many new phones did you come home with?  WWhe was the 2 year contract for the $150 phone started?  What do you mean you switched upgrades?  How is that possible if you started 2 Edge agreements, there are no lines left to switch an upgrade. 

MiiHere
Leader

The Edge program is quite good; with the access line savings and the cost of the phone cancelling each other out, you basically get a phone for free over the period of 2 years.

I too though am having trouble following your story and what it is you're asking. I'm sure if you answered the questions posted by Weth you will be provided with answers to your questions.

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

lori.leighton wrote:

Anyways, about a year ago one of the lines was due for an upgrade after the 2-year contract was done and one of my sons and myself went to our local Verizon Wireless to see about getting a new phone.

So the son with you had a line OUT OF CONTRACT meaning it is eligible for Edge or was it ANOTHER line that was OUT OF CONTRACT???

lori.leighton wrote:

It was strongly urged that we switch over to the edge program since we will get a discount of $25 from each line. Because of that we decided on switching the upgrade from another line so my son could get a much needed new phone also.

So your son's line is still under contract or out of contract? If it is out of contract, you don't need to transfer an upgrade. If it under contract, you cannot transfer an Edge upgrade to his line. You can enter into an Edge agreement on an out of contract line and activate the Edge phone on your son's line, but the Edge contract stays with the original line and not your son's line.

What lines were out of contract? What lines did you activate the Edge phones on? Were they the same lines? Were they different lines? Edge contracts stay with the line. An Edge phone purchased an out of contract line but activated on another line has the Edge agreement on the original line, not the line which was not eligible for Edge.

You story has much which needs to be explained.

lori_leighton
Miembro

Thank you for your reply and hopefully I can clarify the story, rereading through I see that it is confusing.

By "switch upgrade" I mean that Verizon will swap contracts with two different lines, the line that would like the new phone starts a brand new contract and the other line will have the old contract end date that the new phone used to have. I have a feeling this only applies to the two year contract and not to the Edge agreement. 

Currently three lines are on the Edge agreement, when we went to the store in April 2014 there was only one phone that was out of contract (ended a 2-year one) and another line switched an upgrade with another line (effectively ended the contract and started a new one). All upgraded we came home with only two new phones. For my second son who was originally on a 2-year contract that was started in May 2012 with an initial price of $150 had his contract reset to the Edge agreement. Again, the two other phones that were actually upgraded and plans switched in April 2014 were new phones. What we didn't know was that switching the third line from 2-year to Edge would reset to the end of the Edge (or early Edge), this means that son 2 will not only be sticking with the same phone from May 2012 to April 2016 but we are having to pay the original $150 and $599.99 (minus $25 a month for two years, saves us a penny!), a total of $149.99 and 4 years in order to keep the phone!

Someone at Verizon did start a new Edge agreement while the phone was still in contract!

My sons phone is starting to die and he desperately needs this upgrade, the camera is broken and half the preloaded apps no longer work (both software issue, not hardware). Is it possible to reset the Edge contract immediately (keeping the $25 a month savings) and get him a new phone while still keeping the old one? If his phone was upgraded a month later this would not have happened, he would have kept the old phone and upgraded to a new one with the same price it is costing us right now.

0 Me gusta

MiiHere
Leader

I think you might be mistaken about what you are calling "switch upgrade." Whatever phone line had an upgrade and used their upgrade extended their contract. Then if you wanted that upgrade phone on a different line it was put on a different line; no change to the contract was made. I could be mistaken, but I've never heard where you upgrade one line and they change the other lines contract because the phone is going on it.

0 Me gusta

Ann154
Expert

Contracts can't be switched between lines on an account. The available upgrade from Line A might have been used on Line B, but the contract renewal/extention remains on Line A. The contract term on Line B remained unchanged.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

MiiHere
Leader

Perhaps someone else can follow your story, but I'm still struggling. What I've got right now is:

Line 1) 1 phone is on Edge - you signed up when the 2 year contract ended thus starting an Edge contract

Line 2) 1 phone is on Early Edge - you signed up in the middle of a 2 year contract and turned in a working phone as trade - was this the new phone you upgraded when you signed a 2 year contract for Line 3?

0 Me gusta

Weth
Líder Sénior

II'll write more in a bit, but your premise of switching upgrades is completely incorrect and that is, I suspect, where your problems come from. As Ann154 states, you cannot switch upgrades, you can only use the upgrade on line A for phone on line B, but the contract goes to line A.  It is more borrowing upgrade than switching.  Also your comment that effectively the contract is ended and new one is started is also completely wrong. as stated the contract is on the eligible line, not nevessarily the line that gets the phone in the upgrade borrowed situation, but is called upgrade switching inaccurately.  Contracts are not just ended.

Also also how do you say you have 3 Edge agreements but only 2 new phones?  That doesn't make sense since Edge agreements are payment plans for phones, each must be attached to a new phone. 

0 Me gusta