lollipop battery life (moto x 2014)
dvcroft
Enthusiast - Level 2

On 5.1, my phone will be in a case with the screen off and will get very hot. Upon checking battery stats, I see that it is AWAKE during that time. This is worse than 5.0 behavior which was worse then 4.4 behavior.

The biggest user of battery is always Google Services at 20% or more then often Android OS. After that it varies more. Often it is Google App. Randomly some third party apps that aren't in use will be at the 6-10% range (things like Kindle, Words with Friends, and today for the first time Watch ESPN which I haven't used in a LONG time)

I have tried clearing cache, and clearing system cache partition but it has not solved the problem.

I can temporarily stop the battery drain by doing a force stop of Google App and a other higher use third party apps, but later in the day it will do it again.

This is a huge problem for me. I have seen reports of many other people with similar problems and I have seen no permanent solutions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: lollipop battery life (moto x 2014)
dvcroft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions. My battery life has been ok for the last few days. Here is how I got there...

First of all, in my case, safe mode was good with battery, so it didn't seem to be a problem with the phone and lollipop itself.

I tried back leveling google app, clearing data, and then installing the new one again. Google released an update at the same time too. In my case although the battery seemed a bit better after this, it still had periods of being awake when I wasn't using it, which drained the battery.

I used to have WiFi on during sleep, but with the battery problems I tried it off during sleep. I actually think it uses less battery having it on. That may vary for others. In my case I am most often in areas with wifi access.

The thing that seemed the most helpful in my case was turning off background data for specific apps that were showing up in my battery use list and data use list when I wasn't really using them. For me this included: Kindle, Words with Friends, Amazon Music, WatchESPN, YouTube. To do this, go to settings, data usage, and then click on an individual app, then scroll down and turn on the option to restrict background data.

I think the combination of these apps with lollipop, google services, and google play services drains the battery more than it did on kit kat. Perhaps eventually as all are updated this won't be necessary, but for right now it has made a tremendous difference for me. I hope it is helpful to someone else.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

When did you update to 5.01?

0 Likes
dvcroft
Enthusiast - Level 2

I updated to 5.1 on June 30. I'm not sure when I upgraded to the first lollipop release -- shortly after it was available months ago.

0 Likes
dvcroft
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also just realized that most of the time my top battery consumer is Google Play Services and other times Google Services.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like it is trying to sync or something. Do you have background syncing turned off?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

It is the new Google App.  Need to uninstall the updates for the Google App (it will not allow you to uninstall the app all together).  After uninstalling the updates for the Google App, do a Cache Wipe then restart your phone.  See if it goes away there.  If not restart in Safe Mode and see if the problem still exists.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

The Google App will reinstall itself or notify you it is ready to be reinstalled. If the issue is gone, you can reinstall it.

0 Likes
dvcroft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions. My battery life has been ok for the last few days. Here is how I got there...

First of all, in my case, safe mode was good with battery, so it didn't seem to be a problem with the phone and lollipop itself.

I tried back leveling google app, clearing data, and then installing the new one again. Google released an update at the same time too. In my case although the battery seemed a bit better after this, it still had periods of being awake when I wasn't using it, which drained the battery.

I used to have WiFi on during sleep, but with the battery problems I tried it off during sleep. I actually think it uses less battery having it on. That may vary for others. In my case I am most often in areas with wifi access.

The thing that seemed the most helpful in my case was turning off background data for specific apps that were showing up in my battery use list and data use list when I wasn't really using them. For me this included: Kindle, Words with Friends, Amazon Music, WatchESPN, YouTube. To do this, go to settings, data usage, and then click on an individual app, then scroll down and turn on the option to restrict background data.

I think the combination of these apps with lollipop, google services, and google play services drains the battery more than it did on kit kat. Perhaps eventually as all are updated this won't be necessary, but for right now it has made a tremendous difference for me. I hope it is helpful to someone else.

0 Likes