How to format SIM in Moto X?
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

I've factory reset my original Moto X (XT1060) but it's saying it wants to activate my SIM with my phone number (which I don't care to do), but I'm not seeing an option to format the SIM or reset it. I don't want it constantly bugging Verizon or me to activate or try to use my phone number etc.

Is there any way to do this or is it unwise? Right now I'm just going to use it as a jukebox and a second camera.

0 Likes
Re: How to format SIM in Moto X?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Remove the SIM card if it isn't on an activated line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Removing the SIM card posts a repetitive notification that there's no SIM card and sometimes pops up a window saying to insert one.

Putting it back in still has my phone number attached. I'm trying to detach that and my account info from the SIM card as the phone is just a jukebox.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, removing the SIM card from the phone will result in a continuous notification for a missing SIM card. You can't get away from that notification, but removing the SIM card is the only way to remove the phone number from the phone information.

I have a number of unactivated phones including the Moto X 2013 with the SIM card removed. I also place those devices in a "permanent" airplane mode with the wifi radio turned back on to use as a wifi only device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

"removing the SIM card is the only way to remove the phone number from the phone information"

The phone number is part of the phone information... removing the SIM card doesn't remove the phone number from anything but the phone itself, which of course causes the notification issue. I want the phone number and the card's saved info (such as contacts) wiped from the SIM card.

You're saying the phone number and info written to the SIM card is one-way and cannot be overwritten or erased? I haven't heard this is how SIM card technology works. As far as I know Verizon at least can replace this info with other info (for another person or phone or line) but I'm looking for a way to wipe it through the phone.

Anyways, I'll look elsewhere for this answer as it doesn't seem anybody here knows for sure.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you specifically saved the contacts to the SIM card, they wouldn't be on there either. I have one active SIM card and about 6 other SIM cards that were used previously or came in phone preloaded with my information. Since only one SIM card can be active on a VZW line at a time, I'm not worried about the other SIM cards. As far as I know a person needs specialized equipment to read a SIM card and the average person doesn't have access to it. There isn't a lot of storage space on a SIM card anyway just enough to hold the information to connect the device to the Verizon Wireless network.

deloused
Master - Level 3

Ann is correct, there isn't a way to format or wipe the SIM from the device itself. If there was it would have the same result as inserting a completely new (blank) SIM card that has never been associated with an account prior. With a blank SIM though the phone would still attempt the activation process and you'd be trading the 'No SIM' notifications for 'Invalid SIM' notifications instead due to the blank card not having valid credential data for activation.