Re: Did you get issue resolved? I have same issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Motorola Z3, DJARTKLOM. We certainly want you to have a fully functional phone at all times. We'd like to help figure this out with you. Are all apps and the operating system fully up to date? If needed, here's how to update the phone operating system: http://spr.ly/66071NZBP Here is how to update all apps: http://spr.ly/66081NZBu

Have you tried Safe Mode out to see if the issues persist while in Safe Mode? If not, here's how: http://spr.ly/66091NZBR 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
tvanid
Enthusiast - Level 2

As an electrical engineer who has suffered through this problem since August, I can state emphatically that the battery itself is not the culprit. The problem lies with the firmware/hardware involved with monitoring the battery state/usage. I have many screen shots of the battery usage graph which cannot be explained from a standard hardware failure analysis approach. I have some which cannot be correct. They show total battery failure occurring during and coincident with normal operation followed by amazing  resurrection. Not sure which, Motorola or Verizon, is responsible for the analysis and fix for this situation... Maybe nobody!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tvanid

We don't want to see you continue to suffer with this issue. Did you recently update the software on your phone or download a new application to it? Did you try running your device in Safe Mode as we previously suggested? Safe Mode to helps determine if an application is causing the issues that you've described. It disables applications from running on your device. 

LasinaJ_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Z3 randomnly shutting off
apennello329
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife also has a MOTO Z3 that is now shutting down randomly. I see others are experiencing the same issue. Hers got to 42% and shut off. We fully charged it and worked all day yesterday. This morning it got to 50% and shut down.  It does NOT have any physical or liquid damage? I updated her software based on your previous response to others. I also cleared some old pictures, texts and unused Apps. What other suggestions do you have. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sad to hear that you are having this experience. A Private Note is being sent to assist you further. BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
DJARTKLOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I rebooted in safe mode with the battery at 100% and the phone powered off as soon as I tried to use the camera. This had been occurring in normal boot mode as well--shutting down at or near full battery charge when internet or camera is used.

My phone is basically unusable for anything but calls and texts unless I have it plugged in. Not happy about this at all. I need the phone for work and for business. 

0 Likes
DJARTKLOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to mention in my previous post that all of my app and OS updates have been installed throughout this entire ordeal.

0 Likes
gears49

Mine shut down 3 times this morning. This is the first time it has happened. Shut down each time I tried to open the emails. The phone had a recent update and no apps have been downloaded in awhile. Battery life at 70%

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DJARTKLOM, my phone is my life, and I rely so much on my camera.  I take so many pictures of my dogs and son, I would be very upset if I was unable to do so.  I am here to help and we will look into this for you.  When did you notice this started?  What changes were made to the phone when you noticed (downloaded/updated a new app, updated the software, etc.)?   SantoC_VZW

0 Likes
tvanid
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all, the phone does not shut off... it dies in mid operation.  The problem began in summer 2019 soon after the major update to the software/firmware in July.  Most often associated with the use of the camera. Sometimes it gets the photo saved before failure but mostly not.  Having migrated from a Droid and living 10.5 miles from the tower with the best signal my early usage was interspersed with partial charging of 15 minutes or so throughout the operating period, sometimes a week or more, which worked well with the Droid, which never failed me without the battery going below 5%.  It would be amusing to hear how the battery charge level can retroactively decline sharply and the recharge rapidly, over 10% points, in a minimal time. I recently had an occurrence where I had been using the phone continuously for over 20 minutes when it died. On reboot and check of the battery state graph indicated that the battery/phone had been off for in excess of an hour prior to the failure.  As many VZW personnel have replied to this thread, I am amazes that no one has made any effort to get the problem resolved. I am available to discuss my observations and send battery graph screen shots to any one at Verizon or Motorola via e-mail, chat or direct phone conversations if VZW is at all interested in fixing the problem!

0 Likes