Why are my message alerts getting stuck?
DEBHUB71
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Moto Force Z, and after I read a text message, the app still shows a number on it. I've rebooted, and it doesn't help. I've also removed several apps, thinking that maybe there was a rogue app that caused it to glitch like that, but it's still showing numbers. And each new person that texts me, the number indicated on the app increases. Can anyone suggest how this can be corrected?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Messaging alert is stuck
DEBHUB71
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on a suggestion to my post, I went into Message Plus app, and then 'read' each message, and then disabled the app. That seemed to work, and I haven't had any issue since. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Thank you for your reply!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Try to do a force close on the messaging app.

0 Likes
DEBHUB71
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried doing that, but it is still stuck. It's showing the number 6 by the App icon, indicating that I have 6 unread messages. Thank you for the suggestion though!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want your messages to be working in tip top condition, DEBHUB71! Thanks for completing the steps you already have but let’s keep working towards a solution. What application are you using for messaging?  When did this issue begin with the notifications not clearing if you don’t mind? Looking forward to hearing back.

ChrisM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DEBHUB71
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using the app called "Messages" that came with the phone. It's version 2.1.161, and the app icon is a blue dot with a message bubble in it. This issue began about 5 days ago. After this started, I installed the latest update, thinking that might correct it, but it didn't. As I said, I also deleted any apps that might have caused it to happen, but still no luck!

0 Likes
michaeljwyo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Droid Moto Z Force.  Had it since black friday 2016.  It seems this has been a problem since the update to Andoid 7.0 in January (according to my phone that's when it came down).  The same problem with the unread text message notification not going away after you have read the text and there are no new ones.  I DID figure something out, however and wondering if someone could help.  I finally found out how to clear it and where the messages are going.  However, when I get the next text message, the problem returns.  I am not using any 3rd party apps.  I am using what came with the phone....the default "messaging" program...and I LIKE IT and want to continue to use it.   Here's the deal.  It's the Message+ app.  If you have this problem, go into Message+ in your apps, you will have to click the banner at the top to make it your default.  There's the unread message(s).  Click on it to make it read, and exit and you will see the number goes away from the blue "messaging" icon on the desktop.  When you click the blue icon for messaging on the desktop it will immediately ask you to make messaging the default....which we want.  The icon is still nice and blank.  Then you get a text message, and the notification is there.  Read it, and the problem starts all over again.  Go into message+ and you'll see it there marked unread....etc.  So obviously message+ is the problem.  I DON'T WANT IT.  However it appears Message+ is one of those lovely apps that comes with the phone that can't be uninstalled.  I tried disabling it, and that doesn't work.  I've tried force-stopping it and it doesn't work.  Can someone shed some light on what I (we) should do?  Why must they force things on us that we don't want???  Message+ is a VERIZON app, not an Android app so we can't blame Google.  This is a Verizon thing.  What do we do to fix this?  Why is message+ interfering??   And why do we HAVE to have it?  

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried disabling and turning off the notifications for the Verizon Messages+ application?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
michaeljwyo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sure did, Ann.  It didn't work.  I even revoked privelages from message+ ... denied it from accessing anything and everything.  Still does it.  One thing I didn't realize was that I HAD downloaded message+ for one of my laptops a while back.  I don't use it anymore but I noticed it when going into the advanced settings and it showed that message+ was connected to that laptop....so I told it to disconnect so that it's no longer "connected" to any computer or anything.  STILL no dice Smiley Sad   Like I said I really think if I could get rid of message+ , the messages icon would work properly.  However, stand by for more info....I have a software update of some sort waiting to download onto the phone.  Maybe it's something they just pushed out to everyone that's gonna fix more problems.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Have you tried going to the Application Manager then to the app then clearing the cache and clearing the data for the app?

0 Likes
DEBHUB71
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on a suggestion to my post, I went into Message Plus app, and then 'read' each message, and then disabled the app. That seemed to work, and I haven't had any issue since. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Thank you for your reply!

0 Likes