Moto Z3 freezes a lot after Pie update
scriptorum

When the Pie update was pushed onto my Moto Z3, it developed a new habit of freezing ten times a day. Most often this freeze will occur upon waking it up or attempting to authenticate with the fingerprint reader. I tried clearing all the caches of each app, and I eventually wiped it and did a factory reset. But it still has these issues. I would roll back to Oreo if I could, it's become very unreliable. It can go hours with no problems, or it could freeze several ties in a row.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Moto Z3 freezes a lot after Pie update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

scriptorum,

Having your phone freeze so often would get old quickly. We want to make sure you can always count on your device. We're glad to help figure this out. You've already tried some great steps. After doing that factory reset though did you install your files and applications back on the device? Have you noticed any pattern of using certain apps before this happens?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
scriptorum

Thanks Andrew.

I did install my apps and files back on. I did not observe any freezing between the factory reset and then, but I did not leave it that way for long. None of the apps are particularly freezey - as I said, most of the freezing occurs on attempting to wake up. I can recall a lockup once in Words with Friends.

There is no pattern to the lockups other than it's usually when trying to get to the pin pad, or when I authenticate using the fingerprint reader. It frequently will do this right after a forced reset (before I've run any apps). I've been using Smart Launcher, and I tried stock Moto launcher to see if it would freeze up (it did).

When I do manage to start up the phone (after one or more attempts), if I keep it from sleeping, it's pretty reliable during that time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

scriptorum

Thank you for that information as that helps. The reason we ask about testing the performance before restoring your saved files and applications is that if the issue is gone when the phone is wiped clean (factory data reset) and only returns once you restore your data, that indicates the issue is software related (something installed). We ask that you complete the reset and thoroughly test the phone before restoring items. If the issue is gone but then returns after you restore your files, you will need to evaluate what you have installed on your phone and start removing items until the culprit of this is found as this clearly sounds like a software related issue. Keep us posted on the outcome.

EdwardL_VZW

0 Likes
scriptorum

I wiped and reset the phone again last night. I did not restore any apps. It became unresponsive three times, all while trying to unlock the phone. This typically looks like this:

1. I press power.
  2. The time shows.
  3. I drag upwards.
  4. The keyboard does not show.
  5. The screen fades out.
  6. I may be able to repeat these steps once or twice.
  7. But ultimately it does not respond to the power button any further.
  8. POWER + VOLUME UP

This started after the system upgraded itself to Pie. These symptoms did not occur before Pie.

0 Likes