Re: Moto Z2 Play spontaniously shuts off and is hard to power back on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I’ve taken some time to review this thread, Hahehachoo, and I’ve worked with customers troubleshooting this phone in the past. We'll work together to get to the bottom of your random power-off concerns. To respect your time, I’ve sent a direct message to your inbox. We’ll go from there.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ALOGRO49
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, this is the second Moto Z force phone I had to do the same shut off. Each has happened after Moto did a systems update.

Last June my Moto Z phone discharged from 100% to off in a couple of minutes with nothing running as a representative of Verizon watched.  Fortunately I had insurance and the phone (Moto Z 2 Force) was replaced by Asurion.  A month ago while taking a picture with the phone at 80% charge it shut off, and then indicated the battery at 0%.   A few minutes later, I was able to turn it back on and tried to take another picture....got the same shut off.  Since then the battery is draining at a much faster rate than before the January update, and the "sudden death" has been occurring more frequently.  Yesterday, it finally caused a major problem when it shut off while we were waiting for an Uber to take us to the airport.  The Uber cancelled, but we did know because the phone stopped functioning...didn't miss the flight, but it ended up closer than we like.

Before you send out the stock reply...no damage, no water damage, and I received the phone in June 2018....it's barely 8 months old!

Verizon and Moto have got to understand that there is either a major design flaw in the code that is disrupting certain models when they do an update or there is a major flaw in the battery that is affected when certain code is changed.

I will be claiming under my warranty and will make sure that the next phone is not a Moto.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a fully functional device is very important and I know how concerning it can be when the device shuts off without warning, ALOGRO49.  I do have a few more questions if you don’t mind.  When it comes to powering off, how frequently does this occur?  Are you aware of any recent app or operating system updates?  I would recommend placing the device in Safe Mode: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-212976/.  Have you attempted to hard reset your device?

AdamB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
afwojo

mine will do this 4 or 5 timws a day. only verizon apps on phone. did you get a fix yet.

0 Likes
dan607
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem with the same phone. It seems to occur more often under 60% battery

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize you are still experiencing this issue. I know there are many users with the same issue, but some devices will respond to troubleshooting. We recommend that you complete the Factory Data Reset, after you have restored all your personal content.

1. Complete a Factory Data Reset without restoring any apps, content or inserting any SD Cards into the device. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-212927/
  2. Calibrate the battery (See instructions below)
  3. Continue to test for 72 hours after this has been done.

Recalibrate the battery

• Press and hold the power button until the phone reboots (10secs)
  • Plug phone into the Original Equipment Manufactured Turbo charger (the charger that came with the phone when it was purchased)
  • Allow phone to charge to 100% (leave on the charger overnight).

Please reach out if your problem persists.

TinaN_VZW

0 Likes
Imgladatlast

This is EXACTLY what happens to mine and it started right after the new operating system was down loaded. No updates since have fixed the problem and tech services hasn't helped a bit

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is not the type of experience that we want for you! Software updates are designed to improve your device and not the other way around. We'd love the opportunity to help you with this issue, and in doing so, we'd like to ask some questions. How much battery does the phone have when it turns off? Are you doing something in the device when this issue happens?

AbrahamS_VZW

0 Likes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same shut down issues also. Has there been any progress in a solution to resolve this malfunction?

Chrdellinger
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having the same issue for some time now. Has anyone found a fix?

0 Likes