Re: Moto Z Force Droid extreme battery drain since Oreo update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are truly sorry to read about your battery problems, LouisB. I know how important it is to have a long battery life on our phones. We appreciate the steps you've done so far to try to remedy this problem. There are no reports or known issues as of right now with the device. We'd like to ask a few questions to better assist you. When was this update done? Have you tried restarting the phone in Safe Mode? This will tell us if there is an app causing the issue. Here are the steps to restart in safe mode: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205258/ If this helps, then the battery issue is related to the installed apps.

ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes
Music_Mama
Enthusiast - Level 1

As with **every** comment in this thread, my phone started acting flakey VERY suddenly. It drops from 100% charge to 90 almost as soon as it is picked up and once it hits 65% there is a good chance it will randomly power down...most recently yesterday during my daughter's college graduation when we were taking pictures... obviously a once in a lifetime experience. 😐

I had purchased an iPhone from straight talk for her graduation gift and very well may be going that route for myself if Verizon does not offer realistic resolution to this OBVIOUSLY common problem (read all the comments in this thread, like I did...it happens daily). My family is all happy on straight talk, so it's not worth this frustration. I've been a Verizon customer for 15 plus years, with 5 lines in the past...but my family all got tired of it and dropped Verizon for straight talk. I very well may be next, this is entirely unacceptable. YES I've tried the "fixes" and I don't want "oh we are very sorry, this is unusual" because it is NOT. Customers have a choice, there is a big marketplace. What is the actual fix? Do we all magically need new batteries?!?

Music_Mama
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep it's either $89 to file insurance claim and stick with Verizon, or pay $99 for a brand new phone andn straight talk with unlimited text and no contract... After 15 years guess I'll be making the switch!!!!

0 Likes
catgirly
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Moto Z is doing the same thing, it is now useless unless plugged in. Hardly 'mobile'. This is the 2nd or 3rd expensive 'smart' phone I've had that has crapped out after a couple of years.

I won't be buying another one,  no more droids either. Used iphone will do.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

catgirly - Having a phone that has to be plugged in for it to work is a pain we don't want you to have. We are here to help you resolve the battery issues you're having. If you fully charge the battery how long does it take for the battery to die? Are you a heavy, moderate or light phone user? Are all of your apps up to date? https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-105501/    

JacobV_VZW

0 Likes
Tuggles1
Enthusiast - Level 1

As with every other person here who has posted regarding this issue, my phone is doing the exact same thing.  I can't even get through the train ride home any longer.  Recently, I had to shut off my phone and hope it rebooted so once I arrived at the train station, I would have enough battery to call an Uber.  Luckily, it did but then drained to zero on the car ride home. I'm beyond frustrated by reading 37 pages of folks posting the same issue and having the EXACT same response coming every time.

LouisB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Force stopping and disabling my YouTube app and chrome app solved this problem. I now only access YouTube via my internet browser. Also I stopped using chrome and switched to the Google app. I no longer see the app drainage in my settings.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I depend on my battery to get me through the day. Let's get this figured out. Currently, how often do you use your device?

Heavy User

• Frequent use of streaming services (i.e. Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, etc.)
  • Frequent use of applications (i.e. Games, Facebook, Instagram, Maps, etc.)
  • Frequent web browsing, texting, email, or phone calls.
  • Frequent use of Bluetooth, GPS, or Wi-Fi.

Moderate User

• Occasional, light, or no use of streaming services (i.e. Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, etc.)
  • Occasional or light use of applications (i.e. Games, Facebook, Instagram, Maps, etc.)
  • Occasional or light browsing, texting, email, or phone calls.
  • Occasional or light use of Bluetooth, GPS, or Wi-Fi.

Light User

• Very light, or no use of streaming services (i.e. Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, etc.)
  • Very light to no use of applications (i.e. Games, Facebook, Instagram, Maps, etc.)
  • Very light to no browsing, texting, email, or phone calls.
  • Very light to no use of Bluetooth, GPS, or Wi-Fi.

Have you updated an app or installed a new one? Have you updated your device software? Click here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-z-droid-editions-update/ for a walkthrough on checking your Software Version. AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes
creativereaders
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem. I allegedly have an extended warranty on this- verizon tech support ( which took over an hour on text) made me do a factory reset and now it still doesn't hold a charge - maybe 2 hrs if in use, maybe less.

It comes down to they don't want me to access my warranty services that I have paid for.

0 Likes
nascar3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the wireless charging Tumi Motomod.  If I didn't my phone would be a brick in about 15 minutes now.  This just started happeneing about a week ago. 

If I start in Safe Mode I get decent battery life.  In Normal Mode it's rapidly draining AND that happens with a normal boot but runnin in Airplane Mode too. Cheking battery use doesn't indicate many apps using it besides Facebook - which I'm constantly killing.  Facebook background was using more batttery than foreground.

I've cleared system cache and rebooted but it is still seeing excessive drain.  In fact it drained down the Motomod pack down to  15% right after a reboot in normal mode when it was over 80% minutes before in safe mode.

I've done the standard stuff seen elsewhere of turn of the phone and let it charge for several hours to recalibrate the battery gauge but this is annoying and leads me away from upgrading to a Z4.  I'd like the capability of disabling apps then enabling one by one to find the culprit rather than a nuke & pave. And no, this phone is NOT rooted.

0 Likes