Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Js70s,

Your efforts are greatly appreciated, let's get to the bottom of this once and for all. Have you recently downloaded any new applications? Has your phone been exposed to any physical/water damage? What is your current software version: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205295/

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
FLNUT

No new apps downloaded.

No damage whatsoever.

All three phones behaving the same.

Battery was about 70% when I left work, at 15% when I arrived home 30 minutes later.

My original post....

We have 3 Moto Z Droid phones just under a year old.

The last couple of weeks have been very frustrating.

All three phones are experiencing the same issues.

Unexplained rapid battery drain, weaker than normal signal strength, overheating and constantly locking up.

We have not added apps or changed our usage habits with the exception of needing to charge much more frequently.

Was there an "upgrade" lately? (I use the term upgrade loosely)

It is to the point we are strongly considering buying out and switching to another carrier.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MrDondo, great to hear that your battery isn't draining and the heat issue has gone away. Did you need assistance with anything else?

JohnTr_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your satisfaction is our priority and we would love to see you have a better device experience. How long does the battery last on average? Are all of your Play Store apps up to date?

0 Likes
MrDondo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Things are working fine now.  After 20 hours unplugged yesterday I still had 20% battery left.  That is acceptable for me.

0 Likes
PAUPEL60

Thank you MrDondo for your work on this!  I have tried disabling and reenabling Google Paly services.  When I did it, I was prompted did I want to reinstall the factory default app.  Did you receive the same message?  It seems kinda odd that I would get asked this when all I am doing is disabling a service, not uninstalling.

0 Likes
MrDondo
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's been a few weeks so I can't be 100% sure, but I think I did reset it to factory default settings.

0 Likes
PULEHU

Just because I went through this last week, I'm going to share because I

think this is the most current information out there. I had the same thing

going on with my phone and follow the same steps that you guys have just

done and there is no disable feature for Google Play services it is only

just reinstall if you uninstall it there was no other way,, so I didn't try

it. However, because I was covered under the insurance plan with Verizon I

was able to get a new phone at no cost proving that the battery life was

shortened due to manufacturer hardware failure. The ongoing problem lasted

for roughly 3 months and progressively got worse to the point where I could

not disconnect it from a charging source and I was miserable. A big thank

you and a huge sigh of relief thanks to the team over at Verizon. Good

luck guys! Btw, I was actually helped by two techs without any deficit in

service. Thanks to Ivan and Maggie my two mobile mayhem heros.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am glad you received a successful resolution to this issue, PULEHU. It is always nice to read about positive experiences. 

MarshallP_VZW

0 Likes
JGwiz
Contributor - Level 1

Please check out this thread within the forum...

Excessive Battery Drain after 7.1.1 update-possible fix

After one of the security updates pushed on to the phone late last year, Verizon slipped in an app called AllFlash.  It turned out to be a huge battery drain and the only way to resolve it was to disable the app...Like most of the junkware that Verizon pushed on us, it could not be deleted/removed from the phone.

Just as quietly as it was pushed on to the phone, it was removed on a later "security update." 

Still, you might want to check your apps to see if anything looks out of place or unrecognizable.   Maybe you still have AllFlash loaded on your phone.  That could be, especially if you didn't take the subsequent update which removed it.

0 Likes