Google restore problems on replacement device
UFDEMT15

I have a Moto Force Z which the screen stopped working so I was given a replacement device. This first device was a refurbished unit. While using the setup guide to install the Google backup from my damaged device I sign into to my Google account and it displays 2 options, my Samsung work phone and my Force Z. When I choose the Force Z it's starts the install then goes to a white screen, locks up and reboots about an hour later bringing me back to the beginning with just my basic information saved. Verizon sent me a second replacement, a brand new device, which at first my old device didn't show up until I did system updates to bring the new device current. The second device still locks up when it goes to install the backup just like the first. If you just let it sit eventually the phone reboots on its own and starts back at the beginning of the setup guide. Why can't I get this to restore?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Google restore problems on replacement device
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I’ve been through a few replacements in my time, UFDEMT15, and I know the most upsetting thing to see is a repeat of an issue. You’ve come to the right team for help. I’d like to ask you to fully erase that new replacement device (factory data reset) and do this twice in a row. Here is how I recommend doing this: Please go to the main device settings, click on Back Up and Reset, then uncheck the auto back up and restore options, and finally click Factory Data Reset. Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the reset. When it comes on, skip all the setups you can, and repeat the process to do a second factory reset. You may see "Android apps __ of __ updating" after the first reset, that's normal. After the second reset, again skip the setups to see if the issue happens without anything installed on it but what came with it.
Here are the steps to use if the phone won’t respond above: http://spr.ly/65838Cx4S

Let us know what happens.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
UFDEMT15

I am not sure what your asking me to do after the second reset. The problem is when I try and install the backup of my old phone during the setup guide it won't let me and that's when it locks up. I can't find a way to trigger the backup other than in the startup guide.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Please allow me to take a step back, UFDEMT15. Have you completed the first factory reset?

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
UFDEMT15

Yes

0 Likes
UFDEMT15

Yes I did. My backup is going to expire soon.

0 Likes
UFDEMT15

vzw_customer_support

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your troubleshooting efforts are greatly appreciated, UFDEMT15. Allow me to make things easier for you. I understand that your previous phone’s content is already backed up to the Google Cloud. Please login to your Gmail account online on your computer and confirm that your photos, videos and contacts are all backed up. Once you confirm that all the content of your previous phone is backed up to the Google Cloud, complete the activation of your replacement phone without doing any type back up and skipping any email set up. Once your phone is fully activated, add your Gmail account (as per this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205159/) and all the saved content on the Google Cloud for that Gmail account will sync with your replacement phone. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
UFDEMT15

vzw_customer_support  This still will not work and my backup expires in 2 days. It does being in my contacts and things but doesn't bring in any of my app backups or other items. This is very frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

UFDEMT15, I know how important it is to retrieve your backup. You mentioned that it will be expiring, and I am hopeful that it remains available until you are able to get it on your device. As it is a Google backup, if it is still not downloading to your phone, we would recommend reaching out to Google to let them know there is an issue. http://spr.ly/6589DG2bS Google will be able to look into the backup system, and work to determine why it is not downloading as it should. 

MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes