You are unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds
TKovaluk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I re-blocked a number yesterday after he left a voice mail. I did not realize you need to block a number every 90 days unless you pay a monthly fee!? (I do not wish to add a monthly fee to block one number).

Since then, I have been receiving several messages "you are unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds." Yesterday and today, were several in a row, in the morning. It is annoying, and want to ensure I am not missing texts from anyone else.

Is this message from the blocked number trying to text? My account is in good standing order.

Labels (1)
Re: You are unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi TKovaluk,

We know that receiving messaging alerts can be alarming. We want to help. It appears that the messages are being triggered when the blocked number attempts to send you a message. The Call and Messaging block that Verizon Wireless provides is free and does not cost https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-200867/ . Can you verify that the number is still listed in your Call & Messaging Block? 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

Re: You are unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds
Jay628
Enthusiast - Level 1

In reading comments, it appears each of us who receive these texts had blocked someone.  I don't know why they're sent in a sequence of three.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jay628 We are anxious to help get this resolved. We have sent you a Private Message here in this platform. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
JenMarieW
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know that it has been a while since this post was made, and I'm only responding to it because after several messages with a Verizon rep, I was unable to get a clear answer. So I am hoping that I can save someone else the same level of frustration that I had to go through.

Yes, it is because of the blocklist. Yes, it is the person that you blocked trying to contact you.  The reason I know this is because I used my second line to test this theory. Sure enough, when I sent a text with my newly blocked number, I received the very same text described in the original post and the text message I received on my second line said "Sorry, your message cannot be delivered to this number". 

Unfortunately this could mean that the person attempting to contact you might think you are pulling a prank, and keeps sending more text messages, or they are so enraged that they are just rage texting. I received over 30 of these text messages from "myself" in the course of 20 minutes. 

The rep(s) I talked to simply said it was spam and that turning on a spam filter in my security settings would solve the problem. I proved that wrong with my second phone line.

I hope this helps as far as getting a CLEAR answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JenMarieW, we always want to make sure that you can get the best assistance possible. So we can work on this with you, please send us a Private Note. JoseL_VZW

0 Likes
annietcairn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same issue and it was never an issue until a few months ago. I have talked to so many different reps and they keep telling me to buy call filter plus. I shouldn't have to spend extra money every month because Verizon can't fix this annoying issue

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

annietcairn,

We want to ensure your concerns get addressed. What exactly is happening? Please provide further details so we may assist you.  

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes
lesleyjohnson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! It's a shame we have to figure it out ourselves with all the money we pay for phone service.  If you ever find out how to stop it, please post the solution. Thanks.

annietcairn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I blocked someone's number and now every time they try to text me I end up getting a text from my own number saying "you were unable to receive a text message due to a device restriction or insufficient funds". I even went as far as to block my own number yet its still happening