Text Message App update - contact list, remove emails
LainieRMac

I think there has been a new update to this app because I wasn't having this problem before, now when I try and text someone in Message Plus and I type in a name it suggests a bunch of random email addresses from my other accounts. It used to only suggest the list of numbers from my phone's contact list.  How do I fix this? I only want to see numbers that I can text, not email addresses.  I have not changed any settings in my phone so I don't know why this started. Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text Message App update - contact list, remove emails
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@LainieRMac wrote:

I think there has been a new update to this app because I wasn't having this problem before, now when I try and text someone in Message Plus and I type in a name it suggests a bunch of random email addresses from my other accounts. It used to only suggest the list of numbers from my phone's contact list.  How do I fix this? I only want to see numbers that I can text, not email addresses.  I have not changed any settings in my phone so I don't know why this started. Thank you!

There are a couple other threads reporting this change with a new update.  As we start typing to search for a contact, the new software algorithm apparently searches all contacts for that letter(s) typed and lists EMAIL addresses FIRST.  We should report this as a BUG in the app SETTINGS.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

I reported the 'email first bug issue' via the app settings and received a response from Message+ Support around 4p ET:

"Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We are working on fixing this issue. Stay tuned, we will let you know as soon as this has been resolved. ...'

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want our customers to have great options with our apps and services, LainieRMac. We are here to help.

The Message+ app would search all of your accounts on your phone typing in a name to start a new message. This was also how the app worked before as well. However, once you type in the full name of what contact you were looking for, it should populate as the first choice.

We are very sorry, but that feature of the app cannot be turned off.

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

We always want our customers to have great options with our apps and services, LainieRMac. We are here to help.

The Message+ app would search all of your accounts on your phone typing in a name to start a new message. This was also how the app worked before as well. However, once you type in the full name of what contact you were looking for, it should populate as the first choice.

We are very sorry, but that feature of the app cannot be turned off.

StevenG_VZW

No, that option might not be able to be turned off, but the latest version changed how the contacts were displayed.  Now the EMAIL addresses are displayed FIRST, INSTEAD of PHONE numbers as previously displayed.  You should be aware that the Messaging Team has a fix for this 'email first, then phone numbers for contacts' issue and will be rolling it out next week.

carolynhindy
Enthusiast - Level 1

So there is no way to change it back so I get my husband's phone number instead of his email as the primary option for texting? That's lame and in acceptable. If I could even merge them into a single contact it would help.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@carolynhindy wrote:

So there is no way to change it back so I get my husband's phone number instead of his email as the primary option for texting? That's lame and in acceptable. If I could even merge them into a single contact it would help.

The Verizon Messaging Team is working on an updated version which corrects the email issue and provides other fixes.  It should be released soon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

carolynhindy, we will be happy to help make sure that you can get the messages to come from the desired number. So we can look into this, please send us a Private Note. JoseL_VZW

0 Likes