Suddenly, ads everywhere...?
Jimspy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Woke up this morning and my LG G5 had a new app I didn't ask for.  When I wake it up, there is some kind of ad on the screen, and I have to "slide to unlock."  Sometimes doing so takes me to my home screen, sometimes to another ad, [removed] How do I get rid of this?  Thanks for any advice.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Suddenly, ads everywhere...?
Jimspy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello and thanks for responding.  I apologize for the lateness of this, but I am under an avalanche of technical issues, not just my phone but the myriad other devices in my home are constantly failing.  So this got pushed to the bottom of the stack.

As to this issue, it is RESOLVED.  I know what was causing the problem, it was an app I downloaded for scanning QR codes.  It turned out to be...ahem...[that word]ware.  (Can't believe you have to moderate that word).  Anyway, I dumped the app and the ads disappeared.  If I could remember the name of it, I would post it here for future reference. 

Thanks for your responses.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JIMSPY,

I know how important it is to have your phone working the way you intended it to. I will be happy to help you out. Can you please tell me more information. What app was on your phone when you woke up? What steps have you taken if any to get this resolved? Have you gone into web browser to clear the cache? (http://spr.ly/6585E64Kf) What web browser are you using? Have you deleted the app that was on your phone? If so, does the problem persist? I want to ensure that we find the best solution for you as soon as possible so that you can get back to enjoying your phone. 

Jennifer_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for any inconvenience in regards to advertisements. We always want to see you have the best device experience and we want to help get to the bottom of this. What application was freshly installed? Have you personally installed any new applications?

Yale_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jimspy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello and thanks for responding.  I apologize for the lateness of this, but I am under an avalanche of technical issues, not just my phone but the myriad other devices in my home are constantly failing.  So this got pushed to the bottom of the stack.

As to this issue, it is RESOLVED.  I know what was causing the problem, it was an app I downloaded for scanning QR codes.  It turned out to be...ahem...[that word]ware.  (Can't believe you have to moderate that word).  Anyway, I dumped the app and the ads disappeared.  If I could remember the name of it, I would post it here for future reference. 

Thanks for your responses.

0 Likes