LG V50 Hotspot not working
cobra617
Enthusiast - Level 1

Folks,

Is anyone with the new LG V50 having issues turning on their hotspot? Mine won't work. I get an error:

An error has occurred when activating this functionality. Please try again later. 

I called this in to support. The person was not able to fix it and had to open a trouble ticket. While I wait for the next level of support I was curious if anyone else has this issue.  Hotspot might be my single most used feature. 

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG V50 Hotspot not working
cobra617
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have still not heard back from the next level support person. Note: An app is not causing this issue. When I first setup the phone and I noticed this problem, I suspected an app. I factory reset the phone and before installing anything I was still getting the same error. 

UPDATE to this issue. This problem goes away for a few days, and then comes back for a day or two. It is VERY annoying as I need to use the hotspot often and it seems to not work when I need it. 

One tidbit I've discovered. When this problem pops up, the app TuneIn Radio Pro (Music app I use) doesn't work (on cellular network). The app thinks I am not online. Nor can I navigate to their website on a browser. The error I get in Chrome is:

This site can't provide a secure connection. 
tunein.com sent an invalid response

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Now, if I am somewhere with wi-fi (like at home for example) and I turn wi-fi on the app works and I can access their site. 

0 Likes
cobra617
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have stumbled across a "workaround".  I have a VPN client on my phone OpenVPN. I use it to VPN into my home. Mostly use it to monitor IP cameras. If I kick off a VPN session to my home, I am then able to turn on hotspot. I have verified by connecting a laptop to that hotspot and it works. If I turn off the VPN session, my laptop stays connected. But my traffic seems to be going through Verizon's network, and not my VPN tunnel. I performed a speedtest on the connected laptop.

1st clue: Speedtest saw my network as Verizon's network (rather than Xfinity). 

2nd clue: My speedtest results on the laptop connected to the hotpot (and OpenVPN running) were about 80Mbps down. My home network only has 40Mbps upload (1Gbps download) so my results at 80Mbps download are too fast to be going through my home network.

0 Likes
cobra617
Enthusiast - Level 1

Still have not gotten any help from Verizon. They've opened and closed tickets. My latest ticket has been sitting there for a few weeks with zero updates. 

This is a network problem with this phone. 

My latest call was raised to level 2. They were supposed to check on something and call me back in 2 hours, but they never called back. 

I even had some Verizon techs PM me through here and they too just stopped responding.

Can anyone else with this phone verify that they are able to successfully enable the hotspot reliably?

0 Likes
Rnaven

I can get mine to work but as far as loading into stuff no. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure you can use your hotspot with no trouble, Rnaven. Let's take a closer look into this. When did this issue start? What signal is showing on the phone? What is your current plan?

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
Dwsmith22

Did you get this fixed. I'm now getting the same error

0 Likes
Ed10pe

I have the same problem in Upstate New York. Started getting the error message a few times this month, but could subsequently connect.  But for the past 3 days there has been no hot spot service at all. Verizon is supposedly looking into it and they indicated they received other complaints, but have not heard back

0 Likes
Brian_U
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am getting the same error on my LG Zone 4 here in NE Texas. Began getting the error intermittently during the past few weeks, but it would work after one or two attempts. However, since 1/20/22 I have not been able to get past the error. Hotspot, USB tethering, and Bluetooth tethering will not activate.

rtvarner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Getting same error on a V20.  On hold for tech support, maybe It's usless.  Problem started when I changed plans to the DO More 5UW last month.  Changed to the Do More 5 and still the same.  I think may be a compatability issue with Verizon.

Rich

0 Likes