LG G8 ThinQ Voicemail
crapshootvegas
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my newly-activated (unlocked) LG G8 ThinQ, I have only one option for voicemail: Premium Visual Voicemail, which I blocked. I'm not paying for voicemail and can find no way to retrieve new voicemail messages. As usual, none of the solutions in the forum work. I want basic voicemail functionality that doesn't send my voicemail via garbled text that serves no purpose other than to annoy / seek to force users into increased monthly bills.VVM.jpg

This phone works on ATT, as does the one I really wanted that doesn't work on Verizon at all—the LG G8X ThinQ —but I really don't want ATT services if I can avoid it.

How do I retrieve my voicemail without adding to my bill?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG G8 ThinQ Voicemail
deloused
Master - Level 3

Use a free app that provides voicemail, such as google voice

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are getting garbled text messages instead of voicemail notifications, your line is already provisioned for the basic visual voicemail. If you only want the basic non-visual voicemail, you need to add a block to your line called "Block Visual Voicemail" or something like that. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
crapshootvegas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've figured this all out now. There was a 12-hour period after I attempted to activate my device on Verizon using "Activate or switch devices" that Verizon recognized my new device but didn't activate/assign to my phone number. During that period, I received two voicemail messages in the form of garbled texts. Those messages came immediately upon successful activation, and I deleted them because they weren't readable/usable. I actually deleted my own voicemails (texts), it seems, without realizing that's what I was doing. I then blocked Verizon Premium Visual Voicemail for two reasons: 1) I don't want visual voicemail; and 2) it isn't even possible to get Verizon Visual Voicemail on my device (it's grayed out, cannot be installed, device not compatible—even though Verizon sells this same device. I can, however, use VVM with a third-party app that retrieves VVM messages with no problem; it can't retrieve the ones I manually deleted when I didn't know they were VVM messages.

That was a long-winded way to say it's resolved, but in case anyone else encounters this, I wanted to give details of why it happened and what to do/not do (don't delete garbled texts! lol) if faced with this.

0 Likes
Snewee

which VVM 3rd party app did you use?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Snewee, this would be the Visual Voicemail that is available through the device. I have supplied a link to the details. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-99164/

RodneyM_VZW

0 Likes