Basic Visual Voicemail App for Unlocked (Non-Verizon Branded) Android Phone?
oldphonenewphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a new, unlocked (unbranded) LG G5 from Amazon. It is activated and working normally on my Verizon account except that it does not have the Verizon Visual Voicemail app. The "My Verizon" app in the Play Store does not include it and there is no download for a Verizon Basic Visual Voicemail app in the Google Play store.

Can anybody offer any help on how I could get the Basic Visual Voicemail app installed and working? I had the basic visual voicemail app working fine on my previous LG G4, but that was a Verizon branded phone. Currently I have to call my number or *86, but I really would like that visual listing of voicemails that was in the Visual Voicemail app.

I've done some searching, but most of the discussions are years old. Those seemed to say that if a phone isn't Verizon branded, with the Basic Visual Voicemail app pre-installed, then there wasn't a way to get it. However that seems pretty silly to me -- is that still the case? I checked in my Verizon account and it does say my line is compatible with the Premium Visual Voicemail $2.99/mo upgrade. Hypothetically, even if I were to pay for that (the basic version was fine for me), how would I get the app?

Thanks for any help!

Labels (2)
Re: Basic Visual Voicemail App for Unlocked (Non-Verizon Branded) Android Phone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The answer is still the same as the old threads you found. There is no visual voicemail for unbranded phones. You could look into using Google Voice or Youmail for your visual voicemail needs.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Basic Visual Voicemail App for Unlocked (Non-Verizon Branded) Android Phone?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

No visual voicemail and no wi-fi calling either. If people are going to be on Verizon they rally need a Verizon branded phone.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

boringusername wrote:

No visual voicemail and no wi-fi calling either. If people are going to be on Verizon they rally need a Verizon branded phone.

Or the MANUFACTURERS need to include the functionality in the base OS like Google did with their Pixel phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oldphonenewphone, we realize how important having the correct type of voicemail for your needs is.  Unfortunately as a few community members have stated the follow features are not supported with non-Verizon Unlocked phones: Visual Voicemail of any kind, LTE Video Calling, Enhanced Address Book, WiFi calling, Family Base, Family Locator, VZW Cloud. 

SeanC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

TedGarrison
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is this new? My Nexus 5x that I bought direct from Google worked just fine, and my new Motorola x4 that I bought new on Amazon had been working until about a week ago... But now doesn't support basic visual voicemail?

If this is Verizon's new policy, guess I'll have to change providers.. even TracFone supports it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TedGarrison, I'd be saddened to see you leave us. As Ann154 shared when a device is purchased outside VZW, it is not supported with VZ basic visual voicemail. SeanC_VZW shared the list of services that won't function with an unlocked device. The reason the phone wouldn't have access to those features, is the unlocked or 'carrierless' phone wasn't made for use with any specific carrier; so it wouldn't be able to tie into all the features offered by that carrier.

John_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TedGarrison, this is not a new policy and it's not our intention to limit anyone's ability to use our services and features. Considering there are updates to the software and Verizon apps to help improve compatibility with our services, we are not able to update or control the software on your device. How exactly have you been accessing Visual Voicemail on your Moto X4? Do you get any type of error message when attempting to load up your voicemail?

I wouldn't want to lose your business, but we cannot fully guarantee our services and features on a device that isn't Verizon branded. I hope this information helps clear up the details. 

AlanS_VZW

Txjetmech
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's always the same ole story with Verizon. They limit their features to try to get you to fall victim to there high prices. I feel in this day and age with the amount of carriers and the number of different services that Verizon has become easy to replace. The Voice mail service was subpar at best and there are a lot of different services that don't try to sell you the stars. Google voice is much higher rated app and it work super. Dump Verizon and get yourself into a pay as you go phone service. Heck Verizon makes you pay to store your photos. That is what SD cards are for. Hey Verizon Can you Hear Us Now?

boringusername
Master - Level 1

Txjetmech wrote:

It's always the same ole story with Verizon. They limit their features to try to get you to fall victim to there high prices. I feel in this day and age with the amount of carriers and the number of different services that Verizon has become easy to replace. The Voice mail service was subpar at best and there are a lot of different services that don't try to sell you the stars. Google voice is much higher rated app and it work super. Dump Verizon and get yourself into a pay as you go phone service. Heck Verizon makes you pay to store your photos. That is what SD cards are for. Hey Verizon Can you Hear Us Now?

Well switch carriers then. What's the issue?