Re: LG G2 5.0 Update Issues?
Snn5
Legend

Start fresh with an all new connection with a new hotspot name and password.  Maybe that is worth a shot.

0 Likes
spacewitch

Thanks Snn5.  That worked.  It was so simple, I never would have thought of it.  It was getting really complicated, but I learned a lot in the process.  I was getting ready to send the responsible parties to North Korea...

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Glad that worked!!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend
0 Likes
Jeramill

The software update from kitkat 4.4.2 to Lollipop 5.0 made my phone worthless and I love my phone. I had to go to Verizon and do a warranty exchange it was so bad. I am looking for where and how to watch for the Lollipop update beyond the one that had my phone draining after not even half a day.

0 Likes
Jeramill

Yes, my phone updated smoothly, and although very different in appearance which I really didn't like, at first it seemed ok, then my phone wouldn't hold a charge for even half a day, and my phone is lightly used, so without even making one phone call after say 8 hours of being off the charger it would be dying.

I had to do a warranty return and now daily have to tell it not to update. I hope you have better luck with yours.

I love my G2 but the update made it unusable.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Once you get the notification that the update is available or has already downloaded, BUT has yet to install:

1.  Stay plugged into charger for the entire process

2.  Charge to 100% and back up music, photos, files etc...contacts should be saved to Google Account and use Google Drive or Google Photos to back up with as well and apps are saved in a list in your My Apps screen in the Play Store app and online using the desktop page.

3.  DISABLE Google backup and restore of apps and app data in your Backup and Reset tab in your phone's main settings screen.

4.  Factory Reset the phone

5.  Download and/or Install update from notification bar (may have to manually check for update in About Phone/System Update to kick start it) at next boot/power on after skipping set up if possible

6.  Phone will reboot after installation.  Factory reset one more time as soon as possible before setting up the phone (you may have to press the back button a few times to escape the set up screen, or you may be able to skip it.  Just go back to the Backup and Reset tab and FDR again.

7.  Unplug from charger at 100% recharged

8.  Set up your phone however you like to include apps from your My Apps screen in either the Play Store App or from the PC webpage version

9.  Leave phone on until it powers off

10.  Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap the new OS over the old OS.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS. 

0 Likes
erroljr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well folks I have to say I used to be a Samsung Galaxy owner Love Galaxy phones. The new S6 is amazing. But what I found out as I am a computer tech is this phone was made in 2013 and has the same features of the Note 3 except for pixels and dimensions besides that the only thing better is the S6 and Note 4 power wise that's it. That's a fact!!! So no upgrading for anyone if you ask me you have to be stupid because your phone does the same thing maybe more than new phones out now. Now getting to the update. I was scared to update to lollipop it kept asking me to update so I bit the bullet and let me tell you I love it. Battery life is amazing for me and the only think I don't like is the interface they have with round apps and desktop apps face on the screen but for batter life and ease of speed on the screen this thing is amazing!! Now there is one little problem download and upload speeds are slower I don't know why but that's not good but it's still fast not as fast as it should be. Now I don't know what downloads others got when it came out but seems to me they got all the kinks out. I had 2 downloads with 2 separate updates in software. First was google's 5.0 lollipop then Verizon had the same Lollipop after that in 2 separate downloads on both of them so count them 4 updates between the 2. Now I have 5.0.2 and it works flawless. Battery is better and everything works I just hate that they took away the icons for back button and home button and settings button and made them icons instead of what it usually says  what the app was. Now all they have is a symbol !! I was like what if someone new come they would get loss because they would not know what any of those symbols are used for are what they are. But all in all lollipop works now!! I don't know if they fix everything but yesterday I came out good not FDR for me just straight update. Now I will warn you do not cut your phone off and make sure your battery is charged up enough if you don't have it plugged in. And on the reboot it will sit at the Verizon logo for a long time but let it continue as I thought I bricked my phone but actually it was just reloading and adding files and it's like 209 files it was adding so it was thinking and I thought it was broke but when it sat on the Verizon logo coming on for about 1 minute are 2 it started loading files and that will take a while. Sure your phone will be hot because it's done 4 upgrades and loaded over 209 files and who knows how big those files are in the android system. All in all I hope this helps people. It's good to go seems like they got all the kinks out!! Well take care hope this helps!! And I love my G2 it's better than many new phones out there new!!!