KitKat update is causing my phone to malfunction
jeannninex3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know many others are having the same problems... my phone is overheating, the battery is draining at a scary rate and charging slowly, and I can barely send or receive texts... ever since I updated my phone today. I just want this to be fixed ASAP. This is not something I should have to deal with.

Re: KitKat update is causing my phone to malfunction
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get your phone back to a top performance status pronto jeannninex3! I also have the G2 and I resolve similar post update issues by doing a hard reset http://vz.to/1bEaoQu as for the text messaging I recommend downloading, installing and using the Verizon Messages Apps http://bit.ly/13rcZfv Worked for me!

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

Snn5
Legend

I think the point is that there should be no problems to begin with AntoniaC_VZW.  Also, one should not have to resort to using a carriers personal messaging app to circumnavigate a system app.

jeannninex3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Exactly! I don't want to reset my phone. I just want it to work when I download a stupid update.

KY2014
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a lot of problems after downloading the 4.4.2 OTA update.

1. I was not able to send/receive text messages.

2. Turning on WiFi connection drains battery much faster than before. The fast drain on the battery causes the phone to overheat.

3. When I try to download an app or update an app in Google Play Store, it would download 100% and then would not install. Or it would pause for a long time before finally installing the app. When I try to uninstall an app, it would also lag/pause and not uninstall the app quickly as it had before the update.

4. I use The Weather Channel widget for my weather info. After the 4.4.2 update, it keeps saying that my current location is Utah, and I live no where near Utah.

I did a factory reset hoping to solve the issues, and it did partially. After the factory reset and before installing/updating all the apps, I was able to send/receive text messages. After I re-install/update my apps, I had the same problems again. I factory reset my phone again, and instead of letting Google restore my apps I downloaded each one manually. The Verizon apps don't seem to be causing any problems, so I guess they are the only ones that got tested before the 4.4.2 release by Verizon. I updated the Google apps next, and I was not able to send/receive text msgs after I updated Chrome. I was also having problems again with downloading, installing, and uninstalling an app. So I reset the phone again, and I downloaded/updated everything except Chrome. This seems to resolve my problems #1, #3, and #4. My mom has the same phone/carrier, and she had the same problems after installing the 4.4.2 update. I had her uninstall the Chrome update (it appears Chrome can't be removed entirely), and her problems also resolved. I can't guarantee this will fix your problems; it is just something that I found trying to fix these issues.

I have not figured out why the battery drains so much quickly when the WiFi on, but turning off Wifi, Mobile data, and location service manually will preserve the battery life - but doing so makes the phone much less useful.

BTW, I find the new pop up msgs reminding me each time I turn on/off the Wifi, Mobile Data, and Location to be extremely annoying. When Verizon/LG release a patch/fix to these issues, I hope they remove these msgs.

Snn5
Legend

I kind of actually like them... kinda.  This means that without confirming, the mobile data wont turn on by accident.

0 Likes
cg379
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure it's Chrome as I've done nothing with Chrome, but have been able to send/receive texts normally after factory reset, though I did download the Verizon messaging software suggested.  I did notice it was more difficult to get the app open after it downloaded.  What browser are you using then?

0 Likes
KY2014
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just observing that after install certain Google service and updates my phone seemed to start slowing down and lags very badly. After I did a factory reset and before I re-install any of the updates and apps, the phone was working great - no msg send/receive problem, no battery drain/overheating problem, and no issues installing/uninstalling app problem. It will still showing Bluetooth using battery, even when it was not turned on. I am going through the apps and services and installing/uninstalling them to see what effects they have on my phone. BTW, the factory Chrome app is still there and usable even if you uninstall the updates. I now agree Chrome updates may not be the sole culprit, but I think there is an incompatibility issue/bug with one of the more basic service/app that's causing all these problems after the 4.4.2 update.

cg379
Enthusiast - Level 3

After reset, saying OK Google does nothing.  The Hello Genie function works unreliably.  With this phone, one never knows if something will work or not.  I don't think it's fair that we can only get another LG G2 if we turn this in - we should be able to choose a different phone to get away from the problems that plague this phone whether it's new, factory reset, or not.  The reset helped my battery not run hot and run out too quickly, but I still find issues every day.

0 Likes
MrsRobynDavis

I too have had all the same problems as everyone else with my G2 and the Kit Kat update

Problems started after initial install, then I ended up having to do a factory reset and by the next day all issues were worse.  Lagging response on screen, over heating, battery drain, alarm clock not working (never have a problem with that until the update)

I ended up having to get a replacement for my phone, which was great for about a day.  I have noticed again that the touch screen is lagging, when I type it's about 3 letters behind my fingers, battery life is terrible.  Lost about 20% battery in just over an hour this morning, with minimal use.  I have turned off the location services, the OK Google thing, stopped all apps that are running in the background.  I plugged my phone in at 3:30 this morning with 25% battery and when I woke up at 6:45 it had only charged to 57%. 

Once battery got to about 17% I turned it off and charged for about 15 minutes and got up to 34%.  It has been on and charging for about half hour now and it's only at 37%

I bought my original phone BRAND NEW from Best Buy and received a refurbished phone from Verizon, feeling a little bit jipped on that, but oh well.  I was told it shouldn't have a problem installing the update on the new (to me) phone but it turns out they were wrong.  I am so beyond annoyed at this point I don't know what to do.  I don't want to have to FDR my new phone, but I am sure that will be the first solution once I am able to actually connect to someone via live chat.  Been waiting on that for about 20 minutes....

0 Likes