Re: WARNING!: $7000 KIN data charges when using Wifi!!!
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Most/all of these issues would be avoided if you remembered to block data (and took the initiative to check if it was successfully blocked; there are a few ways to do this, including online, #DATA, etc). There isn't really anything different in the Kin phones in terms of data, all feature phones have features that can access data, most often accidental, at the high rate of $1.99/MB. The only difference is the availability of wifi on the Kin phones, which makes it pretty crucial to make sure data is blocked correctly. Don't assume things are working correctly, take the actions necessary to make sure ahead of time, before the headache that comes with the monthly bill that includes ridiculous charges.

Like i mentioned above, you can call #DATA (#3282) and that will send you a free text containing your data usage, do the same with #MIN to check your minutes, etc. Or you could do the simple check online to make sure too. There are phone-specific checks that involve opening the browser and seeing if any pages load w/ wifi turned off, but when i first got the phone, i personally was a bit more paranoid about it. I did a combo of all these checks because i wanted to make absolutely sure i had no extra charges. Like mentioned by jp66, blocking data isn't too hard of a process and it can be done without the need of contacting a verizon rep.

0 Likes
Bigcanoe
Can you block data and still get and send picture messages?
0 Likes
Squallfyr
Contributor - Level 3
Picture Messages only use data while you are international. If you block data ONLY your pix would go through just fine stateside.
0 Likes
myquie

Yes it can be avoided by blocking data and it is very easy to do that and also easy  to check your data usage. HOWEVER, If you do not know you have to block data, (and how would you unless you frequent this message board which I did not before I had this problem) you get screwed. This phone is being marketed as FREE WIFI. Not free wifi ONLY if you know about Verizon's little secret that you have to block data! The rep that sold me the phone did not say anything about being charged unless you block data. All he kept telling me was FREE WIFI, NO DATA PLAN NEEDED! There is nothing mentioned in the paperwork that comes with the phone. Even the reps on the phone know nothing about it and all they suggest is to buy the unlimited data package. If I wanted to pay monthly for data I would have bought a real smartphone with all the bells and whistles and not the kin that is limited in comparison.

0 Likes
alsmommi

Okay I want to make sure I understand this.  I have blocked data usage on my phone.  I can still access the web on my wifi and not be charged correct?

0 Likes
jp66
Enthusiast - Level 3

Correct, if data are blocked by phone or online, you will not be charged for your wifi usage and messaging will not be blocked.

0 Likes
maddog999

I get my KIN at Feb 14 from westlake village branch office stongly recommended by one cumster service rep from westlake village, ca when he saw my 15 yrs son come with me. was told have WiFi functions without verison data plan charge if I use my own WiFi at home. and suggested to block the data avoiding version charge. I took the suggestion. tried to connect internet at home use my WiFi, failed.. so I came back to westlake branch a day later, and told the custume rep. he did the test and told me have to unblock the data so I can use at home with my WiFi, I agreed, later at home I did log on internet.. but the nightmare begain too.. tried several night at home to see how good to surf internet by using my New  phone, also told my son to do the same thing to test the internet.. until I notice that I get the data usage charge,,about 16 MB.. so I went to WL branch office and told the costumer rep the data usage charge, he check my phone and insistent  that as long as I use my own WiFi I should not get the data charge, meanwhile offer me to take the $10/month data plan to cover the data usage charge. I did not agree since he is so sure that I should not get data usage charge as longer as I use my own WiFi. I try to prove him that I did get data usage charge eventhoug with my own WiFi . I check the data usage msg as a mark and use WiFi at home for a couple more night, the total data usage is come up to 29 MB and get chare $78. I come back to WL store again, somehow the custome rep is not there anymore was told take a long term sick day leave.. when I talk to Manager.. he ask me to call the custome care.. when I call the custume care.. they ask me to go local store to solve the problem since the custumer rep was give me wrong information from very begaining.. I should block the data otherwise I will get data useage chare,, so been back forth over month,, now the charge still on my accounts. the mangager ask me dispute the charge through the customer care.. customer care told me they can not do it.. ask me reports to corporate office from ingternet. .or take a data plan and pay 50% of charge.. I did not agreee, so the chare still there.. was told they run into this kind problems a lots .. jut not willing to do any  things helfpul except to sell you the data plan.. what  a bad bussiness model they are engaging....

0 Likes
slf77

a megabit of data is nothing i can blow that in a hour or less

0 Likes
slf77

with todays internet deal in gigs or unlimted not mega

0 Likes
myquie

Everyone having this problem with data charges should email{edited for privacy}.

0 Likes