Re: Kin Onem data block
KinUser
Enthusiast - Level 3

To everyone: About the data blocking. It seems to me that just turning Roaming Data off on your phone isn't quite enough! I have been monitoring my data usage since I got my phone and I've noticed a small amount of usage. A lot less than I've actually used so most is being exchanged via WiFi. I don't know what I did to create usage SO:

To block data via Verizon's website do the following:

Log On

Scroll down

Under the "I WANT TO:" and then "PLAN" find and click on "CHANGE FEATURES"

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and find "SERVICE BLOCKS"

Scroll down and click on "BLOCK ALL DATA SERVICES"

They've hidden it pretty well but I found it! I'll be watching my data usage going forward and let everyone know if this stops it altogether. 

- Mark

0 Likes
diamondx
Enthusiast - Level 2

'DATA'   will that include text messgaes ?  When I did the upgrade , I HAD to check a data plan box ($1.99megabyte)  , but all I've read is that no data plan is required --- that is NOT true.     I have a kin two  that I have yet to activate.  Not real impressed with it as of yet.  NO MANUAL ?????   

0 Likes
KinUser
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been much more impressed with my Kin since I activated it. 

There is a link for the manual on this forum. There are also lots of postings on how to disable data usage other than via WiFi. No, DATA and TEXTING are not the same thing.

Now that you have those questions answered you should try activating your phone. It's really pretty cool!

0 Likes
ks_26

Go to the Phone application and dial this number
##77647266488
This will take you to the hidden menu application.

When it says  “Type the Service Programming Code:” The code by default is: 000000
This gives you the option to select the following.

Field Test Menu
Authenication Key
Network Tools
Cloud Server
Other
Import Contacts

Under network tools>network settings, you can disable all data connections. The only thing is, it disables picture/video messaging too. Regular text messages work. I tried saving this as a contact, but every time I redial, it actually calls out instead of going into the special mode. It seems like you need to do this from the phone app to enter service mode. I hope this helps

0 Likes
michaelslw
Enthusiast - Level 3

ks_26 wrote:

##77647266488

When it says  “Type the Service Programming Code:” The code by default is: 000000

Field Test Menu
Authenication Key
Network Tools
Cloud Server
Other
Import Contacts

Under network tools>network settings, you can disable all data connections. The only thing is, it disables picture/video messaging too. Regular text messages work. I tried saving this as a contact, but every time I redial, it actually calls out instead of going into the special mode. It seems like you need to do this from the phone app to enter service mode. I hope this helps

What does that "IMPORT CONTACTS" do?

could that be the answer to solve our ageless problem?

0 Likes
jewett28
Enthusiast - Level 3

michaelslw wrote:

ks_26 wrote:

##77647266488

Field Test Menu
Authenication Key
Network Tools
Cloud Server
Other
Import Contacts

What does that "IMPORT CONTACTS" do?

could that be the answer to solve our ageless problem?

I tried "export contacts", it says "contacts exported", but then nothing...where are the contact exported?

0 Likes
ks_26

I have no clue what the export contact does. If I had to guess, it must export it out as a file in the KIN itself. I just got my twom a few days ago and started messing with it. I tried the same thing and it said export successful, but I have no clue where. I also disabled the "save to cloud" option, it reset my kin but didn't do much else. I have to say, this phone is an awesome deal for what it is.

0 Likes
mizzblondie0789

I don't understand, why would you want to block data if you don't have to pay for a data plan if you don't want. That was a weird way of wording that in other words, if you are not paying for a data plan/ paying per use $1.99 why  would you need to block it? Is it because of the wifi? Sorry for the dumb question I don't know much about data plans. Also If you actually have Kin Onem does it have basic tools like calander/alarm clock? I've read that it does not.

0 Likes
michaelslw
Enthusiast - Level 3

it has all the basic tools (the new basic tools are calculator, calendar, alarms) you just listed. If you want further information about the Kin, you can read the online manual at this link  http://pcdphones-client.s3.amazonaws.com/files/667/English_Manual.pdf or go to youtube.com and search "kin twom review" there is a series of video with detailed review on the new feature phone.

why do we want to block it? because since we don't want to pay for the data plan, we don't want to use it (be charged) period. To block it will enable us to surf the internet via wifi and NEVER be charged by verizon as we are certain that no data was transmitted via verizon's network.

you should know that as you sign on for 1.99/MB basic data plan, if you accidentally open the browser or something internet related, you will be charged for $1.99 or more UNLESS you block the data service from verizon altogether. This does NOT interfere with the wifi function on the phone.

hope this helps.

ps. im really **bleep** at some ppl's reviews under the phone on vzw. they gave out false information and bad ratings for reasons that are their own fault. For example, you can rate it 1 star for not LIKING the calculator, but you should not rate it 1 star for NOT HAVING one (which is NOT true).

0 Likes
bbolt

I've experimented with the export (though not import) feature.

Export Contacts saves your contacts to the user memory of your phone where your music and videos are kept.  It's at the root level.

So what can you do with it?  Nothing.!

It is possible to access your Kin as a USB drive.  You can find information about how to do this on the Zune forums.  It's a simple matter of changing some registry settings of your Kin.

Once your computer recognizes your device as a USB drive, then you can see all of your Zune music, video, pics, etc.  You can also see the "contacts_export" file.

However I have not been able to read or open anything on the device.  Even though my computer now recognizes the device as mass storage, any attempt to play, open, or read a file results in an "Access Denied" message.  

So I believe if we can work around this limitation, then we could take advantage of the export/import contacts feature to backup and restore our information.

That would make this a really nice feature phone that has the added benefit of wireless.  

0 Likes