Is WIFI free on the KIN (Do you get charged for data?)
gotdew

I have no data plan and I just checked my #DATA information and it states I have used .871MB.

I know this amount costs 1.99$/MB

BUT

I accidentally surfed on the VERIZON Web Access for a website or two before I closed out. From then on I was connected to a WIFI network and I have DATA turned OFF in settings.  Is WIFI free to surf or do you incur data fees while using WIFI?

FYI:  I just called the Verizon Wireless REP and she had no idea and told me that both cost money.  I asked her why I would use WIFI if they both cost the same because Verizon Web Access can be used anywhere where WIFI cannot, and she had no response.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is WIFI free on the KIN (Do you get charged for data?)
Spiral
Master - Level 1

gotdew wrote:

I have no data plan and I just checked my #DATA information and it states I have used .871MB.

BUT

I accidentally surfed on the VERIZON Web Access for a website or two before I closed out. From then on I was connected to a WIFI network and I have DATA turned OFF in settings.  Is WIFI free to surf or do you incur data fees while using WIFI?

FYI:  I just called the Verizon Wireless REP and she had no idea and told me that both cost money.  I asked her why I would use WIFI if they both cost the same because Verizon Web Access can be used anywhere where WIFI cannot, and she had no response.

If you using WiFi only (data off) you are NOT incurring data charges.  The rep was incorrect (how do they train these people).  Browsing a couple of web pages could definitely accounted for the .871MB the system says you have used.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

gotdew wrote:

BUT

If you using WiFi only (data off) you are NOT incurring data charges.  The rep was incorrect (how do they train these people).  Browsing a couple of web pages could definitely accounted for the .871MB the system says you have used.

0 Likes
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can tell you that there is no way that has been found yet to turn Data off on the Kin.  I can't speak to whether the phone defaults to WiFi first when available though.

The thing to do is to ask for a data block from Verizon or now you can do this yourself by going into My Verizon.  Thereafter, you can check your data usage on My Verizon to confirm.

0 Likes
KinUser
Enthusiast - Level 3

To everyone: About the data blocking. It seems to me that just turning Roaming Data off on your phone isn't quite enough! I have been monitoring my data usage since I got my phone and I've noticed a small amount of usage. A lot less than I've actually used so most is being exchanged via WiFi. I don't know what I did to create usage SO:

To block data via Verizon's website do the following:

Go to www.verizonwireless.com

Log On

Scroll down

Under the "I WANT TO:" and then "PLAN" find and click on "CHANGE FEATURES"

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and find "SERVICE BLOCKS"

Scroll down and click on "BLOCK ALL DATA SERVICES"

They've hidden it pretty well but I found it! I'll be watching my data usage going forward and let everyone know if this stops it altogether. 

- Mark

0 Likes
gotdew

Thanks guys, I did block all data features as noted on the last post.  I hope this works for my bill.

0 Likes
Lottie5

Once you have that blocked will using WIFI be free? 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Lottie5 wrote:

Once you have that blocked will using WIFI be free? 

Actually, using WIFI was always free, so the answer to your question is yes.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Like stated, Wifi will always be free, at least from Verizon's side. There is no way they can charge you for that, it is not their network. However, unless you put on the data block, there is no way to make sure that you are only surfing the web with wifi-only, instead of the 3G network. Wifi takes priority, but it will automatically fall back to the 3G if the wifi connection is lost, even momentarily. In other words, if you plan on using the browser or email at all, i'd suggest you block data. There are other posts in these forums detailing how to do that, either from Verizon's side (via phone, online, or stores), or from the phone's side (hidden programming menu).

0 Likes
jbradleya
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got zapped for $60 in data charges in one month before I read these massages.  Just another gotcha from Verizon.

0 Likes
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

I would like to thank all of the community members for the valuable information that you have shared.  I have some additional information regarding the Wi-Fi vs 3G data connections and how data is used.  

Users can leverage the benefits of Wi-Fi connections over their Verizon Wireless mobile devices. A Wi-Fi connection over a mobile device can provide data speeds that are higher than the current 3G connection, depending on the Wi-Fi and Internet connections. For subscribers who have data plans with usage limits, a Wi-Fi connection provides a control valve. Data transmitted over a Wi-Fi connection does not count against the usage for subscribers.

Most Wi-Fi enabled devices have the following features:

• Turn Wi-Fi radio ON/OFF
  • Manually connect to Wi-Fi networks
  • Automatically connect to previously connected Wi-Fi networks
  • Add new Wi-Fi networks
  • Remove Wi-Fi networks 
Thanks 
RalphT_VZW
    0 Likes