Does Verizon have an agenda against the Kin?
rcmotta57

Like alot of others in this forum, I have heard almost word for word the same rhetoric from salesmen at Verizon stores... pretty weird how similar. 

"They have only sold two, and both been returned"

"Why do you want THAT phone"

"Even I can't figure it out"

"It is in the back but it is not charged up so you can't play with it"

I can't stand being talked to like I am a child from these people.  The way these people are trying to prevent the sale of these phones, they must have bonuses directly linked to how few they sell.  If they are so against it, why do they even carry it???

Based on all of the information in this forum (thanks Fish Are Friends), I am going to pick it up today.  If I could find it in another store, I would def get it there.

0 Likes
Re: Does Verizon have an agenda against the Kin?
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
There are several reasons for this. The Kin devices were not successful as smart phones, and some reps just aren't familiar with what great feature phones they are. And I believe store employees earn larger incentives for selling smart phones and the data plans that go with them. But only you know which device will best serve your needs. I hope you're able to locate one. Let us know how you like it.
0 Likes
chava333

I noticed the same thing and mentioned it to my wife right away.  When I told them the phone I wanted, she gave me a look right away and the manager standing behind her said they've only sold like 3 or 4, then they looked at each other and said "He'll be back."  Like the phone sucks so much everyone returns it.  I've enjoyed it so far and it does exactly what I need, it's not a perfect phone but it has what I want.  The guy asked me why I wanted this phone and I said the music player, 8.0 camera and free wifi.  He pointed me towards his android with a 12.0 camera and I said I don't want a data plan.  It was almost like I had to convince them to sell me this phone.

0 Likes
wdenton2789

omg, i got the same type of reaction, granted i was the last person in the store right before they closed (which is why i thought at first they were getting so snippy with me) but as soon as i asked "do you still have the kin two m in stock?" the lady said "why would you want THAT phone?" i got an attitude back and told her that i had done a lot of research, i work for a phone company so i know what i want and that i can no longer afford a data package but still want the basic feel of a smartphone. the manager said that the reson she asked is because she has an almost "100%" return rate because of battery life and reception, i told her that was fine and if i decided i wanted to return the phone i would do so. i so far have had about 5x better battery life then that of my droid and no reception issues what so ever, idk what their issue is with this phone but for a feature phone, i think it is awesome! i do really miss my internet and apps wherever i go, but i just take my droid for the games, and i can get over not having the internet everwhere.

so far it saves me money and except for my droid, its the best phone i've had!

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

wdenton, that Verizon rep flat out lied to you and made it up on the spot.

If they said that the phone was widely returned, and it was because of bugs and no apps and no contact transfer, stuff like that, fine, they keep a little credibility. Not to mention that 90% of reps still refer to the old Kin problems as the new m model problems, but we'll disregard that. But to mention that the battery life sucks, and the service is bad, that is just a flat out lie. Like you said, I'm in the same boat. The kin twom's battery life is far, far better than my old phone, and the service is equal or even better than my old phone too. I had the luxury of purchasing the phone close to when it first was re-released, so Verizon reps weren't 'given the memo' to seriously criticize and chastise the phone. But when i went in and had to get a warranty replacement (mid-January), i definitely felt a negative condescension because i owned a Kin twom. But i can't get mad at the individual rep's. They're just doing what they're told, and they have to keep their jobs.

It's one thing to hold back information from a customer; i don't agree with it, but i understand it because they're salesman and are running a business. But to give false information is just a shame. I'm glad you enjoy your phone though, i'm quite satisfied with my Kin myself. It is a feature phone..and whether Verizon likes it or not, half of their customers are going to be in that market, and switching to a smartphone isn't the alternative.

0 Likes