Why is my jetpack using so much data?
pacpam
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a long time Verizon customer....but only got a jetpack a few years ago for my wifi. There is just me using the data (at least I think?).  I do NOT stream music, videos, nor do I watch many youtube videos...and I have had several instances where my jetpack says I've used more than 6 GB.  I surf the web, email friends, download a receipt or two per month, and play some solitaire.....how could I use more than 6 GB of data????  And of course, many of these messages have come in the night, when I'm not even on the computer/wifi!  I do have an iphone 5s and have turned off the cellular data.....I do text and call friends...but do not watch videos nor stream music with it either.  The first time this happened I upped my data immediately thinking it was me.....but after much exploring about data usage and posts about the jetpack, I think it is the jetpack's problem.  I have now upped my data to 10 GB plan.....to try and be safe (I have upped my data plans several times and then dropped them back due to this issue). I guess I should consider myself lucky that my overages have been small compared to some of the accounts I've read about!

Sometimes my computer security says that the jetpack is NOT SECURE?  Maybe that is when someone/something  besides me is using data from it?  And I have tried turning the jetpack off when I get one of those overage messages....

Don't know if I will stay with jetpack wifi....there have been other issues as well (the turning off/going dormant when it was being used...though I finally found a post on how to fix that).....NOW am waiting to hear solution from Verizon on unexplained data usage on many of their jetpacks!!!!!  Or maybe someone will find solution for them!

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon jetpack data over usage problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pacpam-

I can see your concern regarding your data so I appreciate you being proactive with your data usage to prevent overages. Do you turn off the Jetpack at night? Please know anytime your Jetpack is connected to your computer, it can use up data without you even knowing. This can be due to computer updates that require internet access, Virus scan/repair which also needs a data connection. Application/software updates. While they may be pending, once you connect it to your Jetpack, data will be deducted while running in the background. I would suggest to make sure your computer is up to date and there are no virus/malware that may also push pop up ads which will use up data.

You can rest assured that your Jetpack is a secured device. Please be sure to not share your WIFI password with any friends or neighboors. Please provide your Jetpack model which can be found on the back if you remove the battery so we can provide with some troubleshooting steps and ensure it does not restart on its own.

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pacpam-

I can see your concern regarding your data so I appreciate you being proactive with your data usage to prevent overages. Do you turn off the Jetpack at night? Please know anytime your Jetpack is connected to your computer, it can use up data without you even knowing. This can be due to computer updates that require internet access, Virus scan/repair which also needs a data connection. Application/software updates. While they may be pending, once you connect it to your Jetpack, data will be deducted while running in the background. I would suggest to make sure your computer is up to date and there are no virus/malware that may also push pop up ads which will use up data.

You can rest assured that your Jetpack is a secured device. Please be sure to not share your WIFI password with any friends or neighboors. Please provide your Jetpack model which can be found on the back if you remove the battery so we can provide with some troubleshooting steps and ensure it does not restart on its own.

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> how could I use more than 6 GB of data????

Data usage is not a reflection of what you as a user actively or consciously consumed.  It is a reflection of how much data actually navigated across the VZW network to your Jetpack, with or without your knowledge.  In most cases high data usage is the result of an application on one of your PCs that is simply running wild or attempting to download, failing and retrying until you stop it or it succeeds.

> And of course, many of these messages have come in the night, when I'm not even on the computer/wifi!

Data usage reporting is delayed, it can sometimes take a few minutes to a few hours for reporting to kick in and warn people about what happened.  As long as your Jetpack is online it is vulnerable to start chatting with your PCs and consuming internet.  The only way to stop data usage is to power off the Jetpack completely when it is not in use.

> Sometimes my computer security says that the jetpack is NOT SECURE?

I have no idea what that means.

> Maybe that is when someone/something  besides me is using data from it?

Your PC would have no way of knowing it someone else was using the Jetpack or not.  Separate devices with no direct connections into eachother.  The jetpack is a gateway to the internet, nothing more to your PC.

> And I have tried turning the jetpack off when I get one of those overage messages....

It is a good habit in an overage situation to learn to turn off the Jetpack immediately after you are done using it.  This will minimize the chance of your PCs chatting away in the background however they please. 

> ..NOW am waiting to hear solution from Verizon on unexplained data usage on many of their jetpacks!!!!!

You will not hear a solution from VZW on this subject.  VZW will only provide you with summarized data usage reports.  The information that you need to solve this problem must be obtained on your own with personal data usage monitors.  This situation, like all data usage situations, is like a garden hose that has been left on.  Its not VZWs obligation to tell you which of your hoses are on or who was the last one to drink. All VZW will tell you is how much water has been pumped to your house and bill you accordingly.  At this time you have to discover the actual source of the problem on your own.

Montanaann
Enthusiast - Level 3

My profile and set up is very similar to yours. This is the same BS they used before.  I had the same problem last year at this time and then again this week. On Monday am when my computer was off, the Jetpack scrolled through a month's data. I called Verizon Customer Service and she was very nice but obviously trying to pad my bill.  She did state that the Jetpack had software problems... and offered a new plan for only another $10/mo and 4 more GB.  I don't use that much data and don't want to increase my yearly tab by $120 though I did accept it for this month as, while we were talking, VZN texted that I had used 90% of my allowance with 18 days left. Then, lo and behold, she pointed out that the warranty for the Jetpack is up in 2 days!! Did I want to upgrade or add insurance for just $3/mo. Another $36/yr. This is scamming as far as I can see and I will take it to my state's consumer protection office as should you. Or consider going with another carrier if this is how they treat their customers; the competition is improving all the time.

0 Likes
michelebrl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having the same problem with huge spikes in data usage.  I turn both my computer and jetpack when not in use.  I understand that there could be updates taking place but I have been monitering the app usage history and it does not reflect anywhere near the data usage that Verizon/jetpack shows. I have 28GB of data on my plan and rarely watch videos and when I do it's something short (under 10 minutes). I have called cusomer service but the only response I get is.... 'we can change you to an unlimited plan'  But that does not answer the question as to why the jetpack goes through data at such a fast pace.

Until recently I had no other option but Comcast is now available in my area so I am seriously thinking about switching.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

michelebrl, your network experiences when using data is very important to us and we want to ensure you have all the ways to manage data usage. Here is a web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-usage-faqs/ that provides everything you need to know about how data is used, how to monitor it and ways to get more data. Does this help?

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
batson1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will read the link you provided but my husband and I have just began to experience the same problem.  We both have a MiFi device for internet.  This was the first month in over 2 years of having them that we have noticed this happening.  Our use of the internet has not changed in the last year.  

We both have unlimited.  This month, 2 days into the billing cycle, they both showed 30+ GB had been used.  There is NO WAY!  I had my device turned off and he only used his briefly for work.  I had to buy extra "coverage" twice for an UNLIMITED plan using the data boost feature on the website so he could send in reports.  I didn't use mine at all this week in case he needed to borrow it.  When I turned my device on it showed 42 GB have been used.  

Again, in our years of having these, this has never happened.  I called Verizon for explanation, but of course did not get one.  We do not have kids at home, have no security or other system that would use data.  We live in a very rural area.

What the heck?  

Cannot wait for something better to come to us or a truly "unlimited" plan.

Frustrating...

DataVision
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same problem. Started in December. Data usage shot up 300% with no change in typical usage. Had to change to unlimited plan to avoid $300 bills. Just starting the process to troubleshoot. I certainly don't expect any real help from Verizon to get a handle on this except standard jargon that I already well know. I have had my device for many years.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DataVision,  as a long-time and valued customer, your data usage concerns are our concerns too. Being able to manage and monitor your account's data usage is vitally important. Verizon offers our customers the option to change their plan at any time to meet their usage needs, which also helps to keep costs down. We certainly don't want you to feel that you were forced to change to an unlimited plan from your previous 5GB data plan option. Did you know that Verizon offers a great tool to help you manage/monitor your data usage? Data Utilization is a free online tool that enables you to understand how your device uses data. It divides your data usage into general categories and estimates your data usage in each category. We encourage you to view additional information about this option at http://spr.ly/66011o6kX. We also recommend visiting our Data Usage website to view helpful information at http://spr.ly/66011o6kX. I'm confident that this information will be helpful to you. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes