Why don't I get 4G coverage?
dsttexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

The coverage map, attached, shows my location marked with a star. This is south of Cameron TX off County Road 241. I am in the "extended 4g coverage area" but the ** note says some conditions may prevent my getting 4G service.  My cell phones and MIFI units are all 4G LTE capable but all show only 3G when at home.  I don't care so much about my cell phones, but internet speed is very important.

Is there any way I can determine what those "some conditions" are, and is there any hope of ever getting 4G LTE service at this location?  How would I find out?  I am presuming that Verizon has completed the conversion of ALL towers and networks to 4G LTE by now, but that may not be the case.

Thanks for any inputs.

Don

Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon map shows I should be getting 4G but I don't
Not applicable

You are not going to get in 4G reliably indoors in a "extended area". And no they have not finished updating all their towers and won't be until the end of the year. Verizon has says they plan to have 4G ACTIVATED in all MARKETS by mid 2013. You could have 20 towers in a market and only 1 tower with 4G and that counts as a market having 4G. Verizon said that all towers will be updated by the END of 2013.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The device will fall back to 3G if it can't connect to 4G. Getting a 4G signal in the extended area isn't going to happen all the time. The weather, topography, buildings and trees all play into the strength of the signal.

I travel through an extended 4G area frequently and the signal levels and speeds can vary from day to day.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are not going to get in 4G reliably indoors in a "extended area". And no they have not finished updating all their towers and won't be until the end of the year. Verizon has says they plan to have 4G ACTIVATED in all MARKETS by mid 2013. You could have 20 towers in a market and only 1 tower with 4G and that counts as a market having 4G. Verizon said that all towers will be updated by the END of 2013.

0 Likes
BigLizard
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I'm sorry there dsttexas, Extended coverage doesn't mean you'll have reliable 4G LTE indoors, just as Ann said there. But as for internet speeds, you could try to get a MiFi / Jetpack which has an external antenna port and run it to an external antenna to try to get 4G.  Do you even get 4G outside??

0 Likes
TyroneGreen
Contributor - Level 2

It would help if you get the RSSI information for us?  Do a Site Survey, if your unfamiliar with how to do a site survey on your device click here

0 Likes
PKAROU
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's 2020 and my phones worked before in the same places. Now I have newer phones and worse service. 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes