Why does my jetpack keep disconnecting?
Rick2202

I keep my machines running 24/7.  When I leave the office for several days I get disconnected from the internet and need to reset the Jetpack.  This precludes me from working remotely.

Has anyone experienced this problem?  Any suggestions for a solution?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Jetpack needs resetting
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The first step is to disable a feature on all Jetpacks called Automatic Shutdown.  Each Jetpack is different but they all generally will shutdown after xx minutes of no activity to save battery power by default.  Try turning this feature off and see if it is any improvement.

Next thing to try would be to perform a Site Survey to see if anything in your environment can be rearranged to give your Jetpack a better reception with the local towers.  Site Surveys will also let you know if any additional equipment like boosters or antennas will help or not.

Site Survey:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

You may be overworking your Jetpack.  Jetpacks will work, but are not the best devices to be left on 24/7.  They are susceptible to heat changes (internal battery and external temp) and often not good enough to handle environment changes between them and the local towers.  They are all intended to be a travel device which is powered on, provide temporary Internet and then powered back down again until next use.  That is the tradeoff for having such a highly mobile networking device.

If you want something that can be left online 24/7 then look into a more permanent device like the VZW 4G LTE router or VZW HomeFusion.  Those devices have much better components and have a better chance at meeting your needs.  You could also look into a USB modem from VZW and pair it up with a CradlePoint or Pepwave router for better performance.  The USB modem while seeming similar to a Jepack is better suited for always on scenarios since it piggybacks off the hardware of whatever it is connected to and does not provide all the same features.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The first step is to disable a feature on all Jetpacks called Automatic Shutdown.  Each Jetpack is different but they all generally will shutdown after xx minutes of no activity to save battery power by default.  Try turning this feature off and see if it is any improvement.

Next thing to try would be to perform a Site Survey to see if anything in your environment can be rearranged to give your Jetpack a better reception with the local towers.  Site Surveys will also let you know if any additional equipment like boosters or antennas will help or not.

Site Survey:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

You may be overworking your Jetpack.  Jetpacks will work, but are not the best devices to be left on 24/7.  They are susceptible to heat changes (internal battery and external temp) and often not good enough to handle environment changes between them and the local towers.  They are all intended to be a travel device which is powered on, provide temporary Internet and then powered back down again until next use.  That is the tradeoff for having such a highly mobile networking device.

If you want something that can be left online 24/7 then look into a more permanent device like the VZW 4G LTE router or VZW HomeFusion.  Those devices have much better components and have a better chance at meeting your needs.  You could also look into a USB modem from VZW and pair it up with a CradlePoint or Pepwave router for better performance.  The USB modem while seeming similar to a Jepack is better suited for always on scenarios since it piggybacks off the hardware of whatever it is connected to and does not provide all the same features.

0 Likes
piper909

How does one turn off this shut down feature? I can't find any such setting, option, or menu on my Jetpack. 

0 Likes
joecaldwell

GOOD NEWS!!!  SOFTWARE UPDATE HAS BEEN RELEASED!!!  TRY IT.

0 Likes