Why does my 5510L always say "extended network?"
indefatigableruminant

I have a MiFi 5510L.  It has recently started to connect only to the "extended network" even though I know I am well inside Verizon's 4G LTE coverage.  Why?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why does my 5510L always say "extended network?"
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Because your MiFi is connecting to a network that is using an Extended Network tower.

If you believe this is a mistake and Full Verizon signal is available then reset your Jetpack, then reseat the SIM card.  This should force the Jetpack to reconnect to the strongest tower in the area, which should always be a direct VZW connection.

If the resets do not work then contact VZW for warranty and support as your device may be damaged and need to be replaced.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Because your MiFi is connecting to a network that is using an Extended Network tower.

If you believe this is a mistake and Full Verizon signal is available then reset your Jetpack, then reseat the SIM card.  This should force the Jetpack to reconnect to the strongest tower in the area, which should always be a direct VZW connection.

If the resets do not work then contact VZW for warranty and support as your device may be damaged and need to be replaced.

0 Likes
indefatigableruminant

Thanks for the reply.  I tried your suggestions and it still says "extended network" so I'll take it to my nearest Verizon store.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand how it can seem alarming to see “Extended Network” when our maps show Verizon coverage, indefatigableruminant. You came to the right place for some help with this. There is no need to be alarmed by connecting to “Extended Network”. It simply means the tower is not directly owned by Verizon Wireless. Let’s explore this a bit further. You said this happened recently. How long has it been going on? Has your internet experience changed as a result of this connection? Have you seen any change in billing since this began? Do you also have a smartphone on your plan, and if so, what does it show for its connection to data?

George_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
indefatigableruminant

Thanks for the response, George.  To answer your questions:

• I first noticed this problem three months ago.  It's possible that it's been going on longer than that but I only noticed it then.  That was the first time I used it this year.

• The internet experience has changed a little.  Speeds are slower by ~30-40% but it's still usable for my purposes.

• No, billing is the same.  This is a prepaid device.

• I do not have smartphone on this plan, only the Jetpack.

I use this device only when I travel.  I have tried it multiple locations in multiple states and it always, always, always says "extended network."

0 Likes